Bombardier aircraft deal - Vitesse6

It seems that the Americans want to impose a 219% import tariff on the planes that a US airline wants to buy. I seem to remember in the brexit debate that the US was going to be a great trading partner for us and we would be first in the queue for a deal. Is this the sort of deal we were expecting?

Bombardier aircraft deal - gordonbennet

I don't think Made in England applies to much of the plane in question, i believe the tarriff is being imposed because a US airplane builder has objected to subsidies being handed to the rival in Canada, though i'm hardly up to speed on the story, so happy to be put right.

As chairman May continues to alienate the President at every opportunity, making her criticism quite clear at the UN, then along with the rest of the betrayal horde doing her best to scupper Brexit by confirming to those in negotiation with us that we are terrified to leave, it would hardly be surprising if the Americans gave us up as a lost cause, which we are, washed their hands of us and looked elsewhere for nations still owning a backbone as allies, can't say as i blame them.

We got, as we always will get, the governments we vote for, i've given up worrying about the coming destruction to be honest, trade deals the bust economy and national bankruptcy when the unpayable debt is called in will be the least of our childrens worries in a generations time.

Bombardier aircraft deal - nick62

Boeing are playing the "I don't want to play, but I don't want anybody else to play either" card.

They didn't even tender for this contract as they don't have a plane of the same class.

Smacks of the time when the good ol' US of A banned Concorde from landing, they make me sick.

Bombardier aircraft deal - ExA35Owner

Embraer - who are a competitor - have now joined in and got their government to go for Bombardier. The joys of protectionism - which is what we're going to get after Brexit....

Bombardier aircraft deal - gordonbennet

Don't we already have a fine example of protectionism within the EU in the single market, where Germany does whats best for Germany, well until their leader lost the plot and invited any and all aliens in, and western europe is now changed forever.

Bombardier aircraft deal - csgmart

Don't we already have a fine example of protectionism within the EU in the single market, where Germany does whats best for Germany, well until their leader lost the plot and invited any and all aliens in, and western europe is now changed forever.

Agreed - and look at how democracy is being treated in Catalonia. Shocking scenes.

Bombardier aircraft deal - sandy56

Bombardier are not British and is a Canadian company. They set up in Belfast with lots of UK gov subsidies to help employment in the province, and they have been succesful there.

Bombardier are just an easy target for Boeing, which itself gets all kinds of direct and indirect gov support. Welcome to the new world.

Edited by sandy56 on 06/10/2017 at 21:02

Bombardier aircraft deal - focussed

The law of unintended consequences kicked in.

Briefly - Airbus have taken a 50.1% stake in the Bombardier C series project which will be assembled in the Airbus plant in Mobile Alabama for aircraft sales destined for the USA market.

Boeing didn't see that one coming did they?

Edited by focussed on 17/10/2017 at 10:36