Where is registration number A1? - Dave_TD
From this week's local paper:

A1 number plate search

A historic car number plate once owned by a former Earl Russell has gone missing.

The 'A1' plate was the first London number plate and is worth half a million pounds.

'A1' was registered in 1903 and the earl was its first owner using it on his Napier car.

Now the Retail Motor Industry Federation wants to find it for this year's centenary celebrations of UK car registrations.

The Federation, along with the Cherished Number Dealers Association (CNDA), would like to display it at a centenary rally to be held at Woburn Abbey on May 18.

Federation spokesman Alistair Manson said: "No-one knows exactly what has happened to 'A1'.

"Its last known owner was Dunlop Holdings Ltd. Since the company was taken over the registration seems to have fallen between the cracks, and disappeared.

"If anyone knows what has happened to 'A1', they should get in contact with the Cherished Number Dealers Association on 01788 538301.

Alternatively, they could bring it to the CNDA centenary rally at Woburn Abbey in May."

www.seriousaboutnews.com/cgi/xtranews/viewnews.cgi...0,
Where is registration number A1? - Gen
I'll check my number tomorrow to see I haven't got it.
Where is registration number A1? - Vansboy
The Dunlop bit is correct, it was on their Granada Ghia 2.8X Estate.
I last saw it in Monte Carlo when they introduced the 'First Tyre To save petrol!'.The ad campaign,featuring JR Ewing, aka Larry Hagman.
I was lucky enough to enjoy this corporate event, at Dunlop's expense, of course.
Boasting over!
Now where can I find a breakers yard, thats still got a 20 year old Ford Granny?
VB
Where is registration number A1? - martint123
Can't the DVLA help? ;-)
Where is registration number A1? - Shortwing Rob
Pedant mode on.

"The 'A1' plate was the first London number plate and is worth half a million pounds"

Oh no it isn't. The fact that some idiot would pay half a million for it does not actually make it 'worth' that much.

Rob

Pedant mode off
Where is registration number A1? - Mark (RLBS)
>>Oh no it isn\'t. The fact that some idiot would pay half a million for it does not actually make it \'worth\' that much.

Umm, I rather think it does. Gold, for example, has no value beyond the fact that demand exceeds supply in a carefully managed market. That demand/supply imbalance is the only reason that gold is more expensive than a bag of dead leaves.

Anything in this world is only and always worth what someone would pay for it.
Where is registration number A1? - Altea Ego
*pedant reply mode on*

Main Entry: worth
Function: noun
Date: before 12th century
1 a : monetary value [farmhouse and lands of little worth]
b : the equivalent of a specified amount or figure [a dollar\'s worth of gas]
2 : the value of something measured by its qualities or by the esteem in which it is held [literary heritage of great worth]

if someone is prepared to pay half a million squid - its *monetary value* or *worth* is that sum

Well Friday is argument day on here is it not?

*pedant reply mode off*
Where is registration number A1? - Tomo.
Agrred. More succinctly:-

The price of anything is what you can get for it.

Tomo
Where is registration number A1? - Peter D
If Only I Could Open The Garage Door and There Was A1 and My Wifes A2 and even an A3. Retirement !!!!! Peter
Where is registration number A1? - PhilW
"No-one knows exactly what has happened to 'A1'"
So if the car was doing 150mph down the M1 and was caught on a speed camera it wouldn't/couldn't be traced? Good number to have if you drive into London every day. And if it ain't registered to any car could it be auctioned again? Or is it stuck in a museum somewhere? There must be a simple answer to this.
Where is registration number A1? - Armitage Shanks{P}
If these people want to display the number plate at a rally why don't they just make up the plate and smack it on a car? It isn't breach of copyright, the real owner can't be found (apparently) and isn't likely to complain so what is the problem. or am I missing something here?
Where is registration number A1? - chriseccles
Just spotted at David Lloyd gym in bolton today on a Lambo combined value ,ust be £750k +
Where is registration number A1? - Doc

A1 is currently insured, according to The Motor Insurance Database (MID)

Where is registration number A1? - Avant

A few years ago I was in a car with the number "1". I'm sure someone will guess where that was.

Where is registration number A1? - dacouch

Avant surely the queen would not want her own name on a number plate

Where is registration number A1? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

May I be the first pedant to point out that our Queen does not actually need a registration plate on her official car.

Indeed she doesn't - nor have I been driven by her! Any other guesses?

Where is registration number A1? - SlidingPillar

No need to guess, 1 is the Bailiff of Guersey's car so I suppose you were a guest.

Well done! He's retired now so will have passed on the number.

Where is registration number A1? - tony g
Entering A1 as a registration number of a car for sale , on autotrader ,produced the following details ,could it be correct ?

2001 MERCEDES-BENZ CL CL55 2dr Auto Amg Coupe