Amazing top 10 sellers in July - Fishermans Bend

1. Ford Focus - no surprise

2. VW Golf - HJ's most complained about car - OSIB

3. Nissan Squashkai - well deserved, IMO, great looking vehicle, easy ingress and egress

4. Ford Fiesta - predictable

5. VW Polo - well minted

6. Kia Sportage - crikey

7. Mercedes C - class -once a car to aspire to, now for the masses. Does that take the shine off owning one?

8. Vauxhall Corsa - the only Vauxhall here, not even an Astra in top 10

9. Mercedes A-class - the old upright one could never have achieved this position, not much of a looker, again IMO

10. Audi A3 - yawn

Amazing top 10 sellers in July - Kekettykek

1. Ford Focus - no surprise

I'm surprised, I don't think they are as good as they used to be, plus all of those drivetrain problems.

2. VW Golf - HJ's most complained about car - OSIB

Jesus wept.

3. Nissan Squashkai - well deserved, IMO, great looking vehicle, easy ingress and egress

Indeed, perhaps people are buying them up before Renault conspire to ruin it.

4. Ford Fiesta - predictable

Better than ever, surprised that it's slipping down the table.

5. VW Polo - well minted

The most soporific car in its class?

6. Kia Sportage - crikey

Qashqai with all the practicality engineered out of it.

7. Mercedes C - class -once a car to aspire to, now for the masses. Does that take the shine off owning one?

More proof that Mercedes is no longer a premium brand

8. Vauxhall Corsa - the only Vauxhall here, not even an Astra in top 10

Whisper it quietly, Vx have some decent cars right now, they just have to somehow convince the public to buy them.

9. Mercedes A-class - the old upright one could never have achieved this position, not much of a looker, again IMO

Not sure what the point of them is apart from the three points on the badge.

10. Audi A3 - yawn

Very popular with the lease and PCP monkeys where I work. But yes, boring as hell.

Edited by Kekettykek on 09/08/2017 at 01:28

Amazing top 10 sellers in July - NARU

1. Ford Focus - I kind of like the looks. A sensible car for many people.

2. VW Golf - People still think they're reliable!

3. Nissan Squashkai - UGLY

4. Ford Fiesta - Wife found it uncomfortable, and too many buttons. Bought a Yaris instead.

5. VW Polo - As per golf.

6. Kia Sportage - Surprisingly good these days. Kia hired the chap who designed the Audi TT, and its starting to show.

7. Mercedes C - lots of bavarian taxi drivers can't all be wrong.

8. Vauxhall Corsa - I don't know anyone who drives a vauxhall any more. used to own several myself in the 80s. The only one I was tempted by more recently was the VX220.

9. Mercedes A-class - for people who think they're impressing the neighbours

10. Audi A3 - tease them by telling them its really a skoda.

Amazing top 10 sellers in July - Engineer Andy

I can't remember where I read this, but I though the slightly different look to this month's sales figures were due to certain cars being either in run-out phase or new models only just starting to be sold. The other thing was Vauxhall being in flux while the takeover from PSA was happening and afterwards whilst a new corporate strategy was worked out - I could easily see sales of Vauxhalls being depressed for a good few months whilst this happens.

One thing that must've made a difference (at least in previous months) was the number of RHD VW Golfs being shipped over from the rest of Europe - this time last year Motorpoint were flogging delivery mileage Golf GTs and GTi for 20-25% off list price, and were still flogging large quantities of low-spec 1.2 Ss and very low mileage (below 500 miles) diesels for silly money quite recently. Not sure whether they were also all imports or a combination of them and VW pre-regging them before they changed to the updated Golf.

Amazing top 10 sellers in July - skidpan

Only going to comment about a chosen few:

2. VW Golf - Not at all surprising since all the MQB VAG cars are excellent especially with the 1.4TSi engine. Before critisising the car people should actually try one, but hey, why should posters use their brains and form their own opinion when they can simply join the VAG hating brigade. Fortunately it appears that the British public have far more brains than most posters and buy what they like and is a truly excellent car. But too expensive compared to the identical Leon.

6. Kia Sportage - "Qashqai with all the practicality engineered out of it." Have you actually ever looked at one. Its way bigger than a Qashqai both for passengers and luggage. Shame the choice of powertrains and specs is poor, they ruled it out as a possible option for us despite being good value.

10. Audi A3 - See above. But chosen carefully it can be better value than a Golf (but not a Leon).

Amazing top 10 sellers in July - pd

Only going to comment about a chosen few:

2. VW Golf - Not at all surprising since all the MQB VAG cars are excellent especially with the 1.4TSi engine. Before critisising the car people should actually try one, but hey, why should posters use their brains and form their own opinion when they can simply join the VAG hating brigade. Fortunately it appears that the British public have far more brains than most posters and buy what they like and is a truly excellent car. But too expensive compared to the identical Leon.

No problem with the Golf as a car. If I wanted a new hatchback I'd quite happily buy a Golf new and run it 3-5 years. Where, in the past bad VAG engineering and cost cutting has come to the fore is once you get to 6-10 years and 80-125k miles. The jury is still out as to whether the current models have improved. All cars have issues but there have been some mighty VAG basic engineering mess ups in recent years and no one can dent it.

Amazing top 10 sellers in July - Ian_SW

I was thinking only a few days ago that the Focus must be doing really badly at the moment as I've hardly seen any 17 reg ones around at all, and now I see it's at the top of the list!

At the same time, almost every other 17 reg car I see round here is either an Astra or Hyundai Tucson and neither of those are even in the top ten.

If the figure is just private buyers, that may make some sense as most of the 17 reg Astra's are probably company cars and hire companies seem to be keen on Hyundai at the moment. Either that, or the residents of North Yorkshire aren't particularly representative of the country as a whole, which is equally possible given that most cars driving round here are at least 7 or 8 years old.

Amazing top 10 sellers in July - expat

Australian best sellers are totally different:

www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/australias-best-selli...7

Pickup trucks are tops and are bought by families as well as tradesmen. Ford Focus and Fiesta are not selling partly because 85% of car sales here are autos. Ford autos have got a shocking bad name with their DSG boxes and switching back to torque convertors does not seem to have brought the customers back. Fords best sellers are the Ranger and the Mustang. Lots of profit in those. All the top ten are Japanese or Korean except for the Ranger which is built in Thailand as is the Hilux and Triton.