Renault Koleos - 08 Koleos - the forgotten car.. - vidapura

Hello,

I recently bought a 08 Renault Koleos.

It turned up at a local dealer with very low mileage and very low price.

I liked it and so I bought it.

I've had it 4 months and STILL like it ! Its my first SUV type thing.. loving the high up driving position etc..

One of the reasons I went for it is I have a boat.. so I'm hoping to get a towbar and maybe a roof rack.

I'm in Ireland... the local renault dealers are like "You have a What now?" and they have no accessories for the Koleos at all.. or just don't bother ringing back...

The HJ revierw of the 08 Koleos says, in the Interior section, "And there is already an established range of dealer fit extras, such as towbar, bike rack, even a tent."

So.. I'm wondering where on earth I could get some of these wonderful sounding extras.. I'd like a towbar and a bike rack.. hadn't thought of a tent but am intrigued...

The UK renault site has no mention of the vehicle at all.. and even on ebay you can't find much...

Are there actually any dealers out there sitting on a pile of Koleos stuff?

Edited by vidapura on 23/06/2017 at 11:12

Renault Koleos - 08 Koleos - the forgotten car.. - SLO76
I'm glad you bought it cheap. These were a sales disaster for Renault and suffered catastrophic depreciation from new largely because of the rather dull styling. They were made in Russia, India and South Korea and mostly use Renaults 2.0 dci engine which has a rather poor reputation for DPF problems and although far more robust than the older (very fragile) 1.9 dci there's plenty of things to worry about as they age. Turbo failure, DMF breaking up, injector problems etc etc. Old punter of mine bought one nearly new and was inundated with minor problems then when he tried to trade it in after two years he'd lost over £10k on the thing!

As for accessories, you'll probably have to import from France which was the only European market it sold in any numbers as far as I'm aware.

Best wishes and good luck with it. I hope it proves reliable but had you asked first before buying I doubt any of the usual contributors on here would've recommended a 9yr old DPF equipped Renault diesel to you.
Renault Koleos - 08 Koleos - the forgotten car.. - bathtub tom

I suggest you read the Wikipedia entry for the Koleos. It states the platform is shared with other Renaults and Nissans. A towbar from one of those may be suitable.

Renault Koleos - 08 Koleos - the forgotten car.. - Manatee

Witter list towbars for this vehicle, and www.roofbox.co.uk will sell you a set of roof bars.

Edited by Manatee on 23/06/2017 at 16:30

Renault Koleos - 08 Koleos - the forgotten car.. - focussed

They aren't cheap over here chaps.

Quite a few on this site which is a sort of french ebay.

ebay france is useless, very few people use it.

www.leboncoin.fr/annonces/demandes/bretagne/occasi...s

Leboncoin means " the good corner" apparently!

Thats interesting !!

Never would have thought to look at a french site... but it makes sense.

They ARE expensive there.. woo...

Thanks to everyone who provied a positive reply.

Much appreciated

Renault Koleos - 08 Koleos - the forgotten car.. - glidermania

One ugly car! The new Koleos is a much better car (although I appreciate the oP isnt in the market for that).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend.

I've driven five thousand of the most comfortable miles I've ever driven .. road noise etc is really well damped.. almost no windnoise.. Seat adjustment range is fantastic for a small fella like me.. so I've got a lovely driving position and great view of the road.

So I get out of the car after a 200 mile drive feeling fresh and rested..

I'm happy out and can sleep at night cos I don't have a huge carloan..

Lovely...

Renault Koleos - 08 Koleos - the forgotten car.. - Sulphur Man

Hi, I've just bought one too....becasue it was cheap, had one owner full main dealer service history (all the invoices, even the payment card recepits) and is in lovely condition overall. 84K on the clock but felt tight and obviously well kept by the first owner. It's the 175bhp privilege grade model.

Initial positives are: Lovely ride, supple but not floaty. Decent performance - the engine revs very freely for a diesel. Great turning circle for a car of this type. The drop down tailgate is the best feature. My one is in black, which seems to mask the questionable styling. The xenon headlights give excellent visibility.

Negatives: £305 VED...but so what, a minor expense over a year compared to the black hole of depreciation.

I'll keep the forum posted on how the ownership progresses. Not sure when I'll be able to judge it's offroad prowess, but expecting good things from the Nissan 4x4 underpinnings.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 11/09/2017 at 00:26

Renault Koleos - 08 Koleos - the forgotten car.. - Avant

It sounds like a good secondhand buy. It many need repairs but you got it cheap in the first place. Good luck to both of you Koleos owners.

I was never quite sure why it sold so badly in the UK - possibly Renault's poor image at the time coupled with its being overshadowed by the Qashqai which was of a similar size but much more effectively marketed.

There's now a new model Koleos, again likely to be overshadowed not only by the Qashqai and VW Group competition, but also by its own stablemate the Kadjar. Having seven seats would have given it more of a raison d'etre, but it only has five. D'oh.

Mine will be a commuter, 80/20 M&A roads/urban stop-start. 12-15k a year. Hence the choice of diesel and the relative comfort that the usage will be DPF-friendly.

I'm hoping the repairs will be modest at first, considering the invoices and spend of the previous single owner. If not, I'll be disappointed.

Official combined is 37.7 - not great. However, HJ real mileage calculator indicates a 102% accuracy, ie. its more economical than the official, although the use cases are obviously low for this rare-ish car. But encouraging that this car might have honest official mpg figures. I had a Qashqai mk1 facelift with the 1.6dci engine - official figures 64.8 combined - actual 43-48.

I'd say they failed because

a) Launched in the shock of the credit crunch

b) £18-24k for a new, awkward looking SUV with a Renault badge. They didnt have a solid entry-level offering at a competive price. The Qashqai really took off thanks to the 1.6 petrol Visia launch spec costing £13995. No nonsense with the all important air conditioning. That's how it ate Focus, Golf, saloon sales

c) Poor marketing from Renault. USPs like the lovely split taligate (unique at this pricepoint) and the genuine off-road capability not promoted hard enough

As promised, an update on used Renault Koleos ownership

Model: Renault Koleos 2.0dci 173 Privilege, registered May 2008, 1 previous owner

Purchased 15th Sep 2017, 84589 miles, full main dealer service history, with invoices. MOT no advisories. Previous service: March 2017, milleage at service, 79800. (12k/12 month service intervals on this model)

Current mileage 89750 - a commuter car covering 80/20 motorway/urban

Avg mpg, based on fulel tank calculations: 40.7mpg. Run exclusively on Shell V-Power

Positives: Comfortable, extremely well equipped, excellent traction at all times, comfortable, great visibility, split tailgate - where have you been all my life?, thumping BOSE stereo, leather upholstery seems very good quality - better than the leather in my old 120d. Did I say comfortable?

Negatives. A/C compressor is whistling, seems to be getting noisier. Will get it looked at imminent service.......which leads to

Servicing: Visited nearby Renault dealership to a) have a nosey at new Renault Koleos and b) get a quote on servicing (as car is main dealer fsh since new, worth investigating how much this would be)

The results of this visit were laughable

a) Useless salesman. Knew next to nothing about the new Koleos. Just produced the brochure and pointed at the prices. Didnt know which engines came with manual only trans and which came with both auto and manual.

b) Useless after-sales desk. Quoted two prices for major or minor services. They eventually worked out that my car alternates between major and minor. Major costs £299+VAT. They then stipulated that the major service is differentiated by a brake fluid change...which costs another £49+VAT. So the £299 price is meaningless. Eventually admiited that I should come in with my previous service bills to 'work out what needs doing'. Obviously, Renault UK dealers dont have access to a service database of cars which have kept maintenance through main dealers, unlike my wife's Honda FR-V. Also asked me when the belt had last been changed - it's a chain-cam engine. I won't go back there again.

There is a Renault indy nearby, will give them a call instead.

Otherwise, all good so far. Feels like a keeper..

Renault Koleos - 08 Koleos - the forgotten car.. - Barsus
Hello from Auckland, NZ. I have enjoyed reading your well-considered reports/ comments about your Koleos. Nearly three years ago now I traded in my old Megane for a one-owner 2011 petrol Koleos, 4x4, which had low kms, leather seats, tow bar etc.
It was a large Nissan dealership that sold it to me, so I stayed with them for the annual service and WOF (Warrant Of Fitness); this posed no problem since the vehicle is mechanically an X-Trail.
During my tenure, two fixes have been required: a noisy wiper motor was replaced (unusual they said), and actuator was replaced in the tailgate release when the original broke.
Otherwise it's been plain sailing.
The model proved reasonably popular in Australia and NZ, especially when folk like me did some research and compared second-hand prices.
I have a 4.81m. “tinnny” to launch and retrieve, which is effortless with this car. If I ever change it, it will be a newer version of the same version...I like the new model too, but not the added length and much higher cost.
This is one underrated vehicle overall; comfortable, safe, with good vision and no real vices, and many good features. Korean build-quality is v.g. too.
All the best.
Renault Koleos - 08 Koleos - the forgotten car.. - Barsus

Here's an update for anyone interested: As intimated, I came across a later year of the same model (2014) so decided to upgrade. A family member is buying my old one - how many folk say, in later years, "I wish I had bought my father's car - serviced correctly, reliable and immaculate?"

The newbie is essentially the same, but is white, rather than black, with sunroof x 2, a two-tone light coloured leather interior and a (basic for them, but good) Bose sound system...4WD again since I have a boat to tow.

I'm happy.

Regards to all,

Barry (NZ)