Mazda 3 - Car sold with no service history. Advice/Feedback - Sooz_Dog

I bought a 15 plate mazda back in Oct from a Stoneacre dealership. About 4 weeks ago some lights came on on the dash - Tyre pressure malfunction, Engine malfunction, DSC malfunction, DPF malfunction, Smart Brake assist malfunction. In addition the istop stopped working, and the dash section that shows you current gear and suggested gear also stopped working.

I booked the car into Mazda (as advised by Stoneacre since it was under warranty), but when i took the car to Mazda I was told that I may not be covered for the work, as there was no service history with the car so the warranty could be invalid. I immediately contacted Stoneacre to trace the service history and awaited a call back.

The next day, having been told by Mazda the cost for bring the services up to date, and fix the issues would total in excess of £1000, I contacted the finance company to raise a complaint and discuss returning the vehicle to Stoneacre. Mazda also stated that the oil was so diluted it was above the mark, and there was a strange noise from under the bonnet.

Without giving you all the goings on since, we are now 2.5 weeks later, Stoneacre have done some work and so have Mazda in order to fix the car (at no cost to me). The service history still remains ellusive, and aside from a basic pre sale service which was done prior to be purchasing the car, there is no evidence to suggest it was ever serviced. I have reiterated to Stoneacre that I don't want the car.

I purchased the car at 37,300 miles, and it has now done 43,000, it's a 2.2 diesel.

My reasons for wishing to return to car are due to concerns over any long term damage to the engine as it's been unmaintained, as well as the possible loss of value when coming to sell. I was originally told by Mazda that the incorrect oil had been used during the stoneacre pre sale service, but subsequently they have retracted that statement.

Has anyone any advice on whether I am doing the right thing ?. Finance company have told me that they have 55 days to come to a decision, meanwhile i'm driving a tin can from Stoneacre that is costing me £7 a day to insure which runs out tomorrow, plus the cost of a hire car for the first week.

Thanks for reading.

Mazda 3 - Car sold with no service history. Advice/Feedback - RobJP

It all depends on how the car was sold, so to speak.

If they advertised it as having 'full Mazda service history' or 'full service history', then you've got them for fraud and misrepresentation - UNLESS they can produce the service history.

Bear in mind that the services should be carried out at 12.5k, 25k, 37.5k. So Stoneacre did their pre-delivery service at 37k, so you want to see unequivocal evidence of those 2 services, or else you want suitable compensation - either in terms of cash back for the lack of servicing, and thus dimunition in value, or in the way of a huge warranty that covers you for at least the next 2 years, for absolutely everything.

But the above all depends on it being sold to you as FSH. If it wasn't, then they haven't misrepresented it to you.

Mazda 3 - Car sold with no service history. Advice/Feedback - Bromptonaut

As ever Citizens Advice is a good start point:

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/buying-or-repai.../

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/i.../

Declaration of interest: I am an employee of and volunteer at Citizens Advice.

Mazda 3 - Car sold with no service history. Advice/Feedback - Palcouk

Theres no mention in your post, that states that the supplying dealer stated the car had full makers service history, and no mention of any service book.

In 7 months you have driven less than 6k, so why an earth did you buy a diesel?

Your current issue has arisen nearly 8 months after purchase, I'm afraid its all down to you, to late to reject.

Thanks for your replies.

I was told that the car had 18 months manufacturer warranty with it - which would require a full service history. I did discuss servicing prior to purchase and was told it would be serviced before I bought the car - which turned out not to be the required 3rd service.

I can't honestly recall if I asked about service history, and when checking other cars of a similiar age that are for sale online, they don't mention service history.

In discussions with Stoneacre they have not tried to defend the lack of service history, or hide behind the advert not mentioning it. I have been told several times that they are trying to chase it down.

The car is due to be ready for collection today. If I were to collect it whilst the finance company are continuing their investigation, do you think it would be deemed that I have accepted the car back and therefore am happy with it ?.

I suggest you need to discuss EXACTLY what work has been done, and for all that work to be verified in writing.

Unfortunately, your annual mileage just doesn't appear to be suitable for a modern diesel engine car, with all the emissions control equipment that is built into it. You WILL get DPF problems or engine oil dilution problems - and no warranty will cover you against those.

I know it means taking a hit, but if the work has all been done and you've got it verified, then it might be time to get rid of it and getting something petrol / hybrid based.

I suggest you need to discuss EXACTLY what work has been done, and for all that work to be verified in writing.

Unfortunately, your annual mileage just doesn't appear to be suitable for a modern diesel engine car, with all the emissions control equipment that is built into it. You WILL get DPF problems or engine oil dilution problems - and no warranty will cover you against those.

I know it means taking a hit, but if the work has all been done and you've got it verified, then it might be time to get rid of it and getting something petrol / hybrid based.

Only from reading your message have I investigated the possible issues with DPF. I've had the car for 8 months and am not aware of any issues with the car until this recent spate (interestingly the DPF light came on a week after the other lights). I do tend to drive shorter distances, with a longer run once a week. Economy was a factor, but having driven a 2.0 petrol Mazda 3 hire car, the difference, performance wise, with the diesel was immediately obvious. I take your point, and will bear this in mind in the future.

I have just taken a call from Stoneacre, they have managed to track down a service history which looks to be annual - rather than mileage based. Services done at 20,000 and 32,000 - with the extra one done by them at 37,000. I am now more comfortable about keeping the car, but need to contact Mazda to understand whether the manufacturers warranty will be honoured. I know they have fixed a couple of issues with it this time, so need to understand why they agreed to that, given they had seen no evidence of a service history.

Another question is around whether I can claim back costs. £166 for a hire car for a week, followed by 12 days insurance at £7 a day for the car from Stoneacre. If the service history had been available, Mazda could have fixed all the issues and I would had had a courtesy car from them at no cost.

Another question is around whether I can claim back costs. £166 for a hire car for a week, followed by 12 days insurance at £7 a day for the car from Stoneacre. If the service history had been available, Mazda could have fixed all the issues and I would had had a courtesy car from them at no cost.

You'd only have had a loan car if they'd had one available. In addition, a lot of main agents these days are charging £10 per day insurance/admin charge for loan cars.

Hate to say it, but you want main agent levels of service, go buy a car from a main agent. You bought from Stoneacre for a reason, and that reason was probably price. "Cheap for a reason", as the saying goes.

Having said all that, you could certainly try to get a contribution to your costs. Hell, if you don't ask, then you don't get. Or, to use another saying, "Shy kids don't get sweets".

You'd only have had a loan car if they'd had one available. In addition, a lot of main agents these days are charging £10 per day insurance/admin charge for loan cars.

Hate to say it, but you want main agent levels of service, go buy a car from a main agent. You bought from Stoneacre for a reason, and that reason was probably price. "Cheap for a reason", as the saying goes.

Having said all that, you could certainly try to get a contribution to your costs. Hell, if you don't ask, then you don't get. Or, to use another saying, "Shy kids don't get sweets".

Mazda gave me a courtesy car when I originally took mine in. Once they said they were unable to fix the issue under the warranty I was left with a car which was undriveable (under Mazda advice) but had to return the courtesy car, hence the hire car.

It's only taken 19 days to resolve due to the service history issue. I wouldn't object to paying £7 a day for a couple of days insurance, but being out of pocked by almost £300 is pretty frustrating.

Mazda 3 - Car sold with no service history. Advice/Feedback - SLO76
Mazda don't supply service books with their cars, it's all held electronically. A call to any Mazda dealer with the reg no will reveal whether it has the up to date main dealer service history required to claim on the warranty. Without a full main dealer history it's effectively impossible to claim on the warranty. You'd have to prove any non-franchised dealer had serviced it exactly in accordance with Mazda's guidelines, using manufacturer parts which will be next to impossible.

I realise this isn't much help now but when buying a car you must scrutinise the service record, this is particularly important on complex modern turbo diesels like this and disregard any dealer who tells you the manufacturer warranty is still valid despite the absence of the main dealer service history. It is not.

It sounds like they haven't been dishonest regarding the service record as you never asked about it when buying however they have lied or told inaccurate information when they said the warranty was still valid when it wasn't. I've encountered this many times especially when viewing Hyundai's and Kia's with their particularly long warranty terms. Few owners maintain the dealer history sadly but too many non-franchised dealers sell them as still having said warranty when they do not.

If you can prove they told you the warranty was still in place then you have a case of misselling against them. If you have your order form or any emails detailing this then tell them you will take action against them unless they fix it or refund you minus fair usage.

Edited by SLO76 on 20/06/2017 at 13:51

Mazda 3 - Car sold with no service history. Advice/Feedback - FP

"Mazda don't supply service books with their cars, it's all held electronically."

True, but the CX5 I bought the other day had a print-out of the service record. I would have thought any serious dealer would do this anyway. (The first car I looked at did not have this and the salesman was suspiciously vague.)

"Mazda don't supply service books with their cars, it's all held electronically."

True, but the CX5 I bought the other day had a print-out of the service record. I would have thought any serious dealer would do this anyway. (The first car I looked at did not have this and the salesman was suspiciously vague.)

Any decent dealer will furnish you with a print out but when buying a new car you should always ask for a service book. They will supply one if prompted and it makes resale much easier. This trick is to make it harder to trade the vehicle in with a non-Mazda dealer as they then have the trouble of obtaining a service record from a reluctant rival. Dealers are increasingly pricing this lack of verifiable history into such stock so any firm guilty will it will suffer from depressed resale values over time. Basically no stamped up service book/print out then it'll be valued as having no history. Hope that CX5 was a petrol btw? Nice cars but the diesels are trouble sadly. The petrol is pretty bombproof.

Edited by SLO76 on 20/06/2017 at 22:24

Mazda 3 - Car sold with no service history. Advice/Feedback - FP

"Hope that CX5 was a petrol btw? Nice cars but the diesels are trouble sadly. The petrol is pretty bombproof."

Yes, indeed, SLO - I was determined to avoid diesel (not that I cover the mileage to justify it) and also to avoid a small turbo-charged petrol. I loved the 2-litre petrol in my Ford Focus (Mazda engine in all but name) and found it economical if driven gently. Then SWMBO said she liked one of these "higher cars" and I started looking at the CX-5 seriously.

We are highly pleased with the CX-5 so far. It's the Sat Nav model, 14 reg, so top of the range, with a lot of toys I still can't work, and it is in our favourite colour - Soul Red. It's an immaculate ex-Motability car.

A cracking car FP and one I'd buy myself. Possibly will when we change the CRV.

Update:

I got my car back. Turns out it was previously owned by Enterprise so they managed to get a print out from them to confirm when the vehicle was serviced. Mazda were then happy to do the work.

I have collected the car and it's running nicely - much better than the tin can Suzuki Celerio I had been given. The finance company are going to see if they can sort out a refund for my out of pocket expenses.

Thanks for all your advice and feedback.