PEUGEOT 308 2.0 HDI PREMIUM SW 140 - ESP/ASR SYSTEM FAULTY - Amy-Novice

Hi,

I am just after a bit of advice as I know nothing of cars. My peugeot went in to the garage for a cambelt change and when it came out, after a mile of driving the ESP / ASR SYSTEM FAULTY error message came on the screen. As it was at the end of the day I left it unitl the following day and took it back to the garage (after reading posts on here perhaps that wasn't a good idea but the garage has always been good with reasonable prices). I thought it was perhaps linked to something they did.

At first they thought it was the sensors so they changed them but the problem was still there and now they have said it appears to be an electrical fault but are still trying to investiage where it is. They have put the computer on it but the codes that have come back have not been the issue. Hopefully they find out today and it doesn't cost me a fortune as I just don't have the money!

Anyway, when I mentioned that there were no signs on before I took the car for the cambelt change he said that it cannot be related as the cambelt is nothing to do with the electrical side of things. As I say I have no idea about cars and was wondering if this is a coincidence that the light has come on straight after or if they could have somehow knocked something?

Thanks in advance. :)

PEUGEOT 308 2.0 HDI PREMIUM SW 140 - ESP/ASR SYSTEM FAULTY - hardway

I'm wondering what "computer" they used.

If they didn't use "Peugeot Planet" diagnostics some very odd results can confuse the issue.

And Peugeots do suffer from electrical faults that could fill pages here.

As your garage are probably well aware.

So what I'd do is get a "Global Scan" done using Peuget Planet,

so you may have to get this done at the dealer if your garage doesn't have P.P.

What a global scan is basically the computer scans EVERY system on the car for faults then reports.

So I'd ask your garage if they used P.P and if not find someone who has Peugeot Planet and get them to scan it.

I'm not suggeting your garage is at fault.

It could be somethig as simple as a fault in the seat belt system that happend say when the tech adjusted the seat to bring the car into the shop.

Scan it with P.P.

Thank you for your reply. It is only a small mechanic garage and I don't believe it would have been the PP. However, they have found out that it is the central electronics and are currently trying to source me another. I actually live in Spain and my Spanish is reasonably limited, in particular when it comes to car parts!

At the time of the cam belt change I had a fuse change too (just for the cigeratte lighter/charger and mirror lights). Is this something that could of affected the Central electronics?

Thanks again.

PEUGEOT 308 2.0 HDI PREMIUM SW 140 - ESP/ASR SYSTEM FAULTY - Gibbo_Wirral

The Pug forums have plenty of stories from people who've had problems after a clutch or cambelt change. In 9 times out of 10 its down to the garage damaging something or not reconnecting it.

Do a BSI reset on the battery first, if the fault comes back on then it needs a Planet diagnostic.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 14/06/2017 at 13:58

PEUGEOT 308 2.0 HDI PREMIUM SW 140 - ESP/ASR SYSTEM FAULTY - Railroad.

The ABS and engine controllers communicate with each other, and engine power output will be reduced when the ESP system is activated. If the valve timing was not spot on correct then it's possible this fault could occur. Failing that the most likely explanation is that the garage have inadvertently disconnected something or forgotten to reconnect. It wouldn't necessarily have to be something to do with the braking system. It's just as likely to be something on the engine or an earth. Or even a communication data wire.

There cannot be a long term future for independent garages now as technology on cars advances. Gone are the days where motor mechanics found their way day to day. These days you have to have the correct knowledge, training and factory support. Only main dealers will ever get that.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions :)

PEUGEOT 308 2.0 HDI PREMIUM SW 140 - ESP/ASR SYSTEM FAULTY - pd

The "codes are not the issue" isn't really right. Codes are being stored which brings up the message and something is triggering them.

Stop the messages being triggered and the message will stop coming up.

I'd imagine at least right hand front wheel has to come off to do the cambelt to get to the crank and probably the wheel arch liner as well. It is possible the wiring to the ABS sensor has been distrurbed somwhere around here giving a faulty ABS reading which will trigger the errors you suggest.