Vauxhall Insignia - The new Vauxhall Insignia - daveyK_UK

I drove past a new Insignia today, it did look rather nice.

A cross between a Mazda 6 and a Mondeo.

Hopefully its more relible and has better rear leg room than the out going Insignia

Vauxhall Insignia - The new Vauxhall Insignia - RT

By all accounts the Insignia Grand Sport does have significantly more internal room than the outgoing Insignia which was cramped compared to the preceeding Vectra-C.

There won't be a VXR version for the UK as Chevrolet had a hand in the platform's development and "forgot" to leave room for the turbo V6 on the RHD version.

Vauxhall Insignia - The new Vauxhall Insignia - daveyjp

No doubt larger than the last model making it even more unwieldy for most buyers.

You can guarantee within a few months it will be available with 30% off list.

Vauxhall Insignia - The new Vauxhall Insignia - skidpan

Chap just round the corner has had one on his drive for a few weeks now and in metallic grey it does look very nice. I suspect he works for the local GM dealer considering the number of 16 plate Corsa's his family drive and the fact he has a new motor every 3 months.

Chap just round the corner has had one on his drive for a few weeks now and in metallic grey it does look very nice. I suspect he works for the local GM dealer considering the number of 16 plate Corsa's his family drive and the fact he has a new motor every 3 months.

That sounds like the manufacturers' "management" car scheme - in most cases, not just managers but many others get access to cars that way. My B-i-L gets a new JLR car every 4 months with Fords as an extra option.

Vauxhall Insignia - The new Vauxhall Insignia - Engineer Andy

That sounds like the manufacturers' "management" car scheme - in most cases, not just managers but many others get access to cars that way. My B-i-L gets a new JLR car every 4 months with Fords as an extra option.

Indeed - a former school mate's dad was a middle-ranking manager at Vaxuhall and regularly got new models. I recall one being a Carlton auto with a very flashy 'sport' button (around the time of Knight Rider, thus 'boost' button on the gearstick was cool and the car went like a rocket) which impressed all us youths when it was used when taking us to/from school or trips!

The new Insignia looks nice, though the review does say its trim isn't so good quality. Big beast though.

Indeed - a former school mate's dad was a middle-ranking manager at Vaxuhall and regularly got new models. I recall one being a Carlton auto with a very flashy 'sport' button (around the time of Knight Rider, thus 'boost' button on the gearstick was cool and the car went like a rocket) which impressed all us youths when it was used when taking us to/from school or trips!

The new Insignia looks nice, though the review does say its trim isn't so good quality. Big beast though.

The "Sport" button on Vauxhall automatics was simple electronics - it disabled 4th gear and only used 1/2/3 and the rpm change points were moved upwards - AFAIK the Senator got it when the autobox went from 3-speed to 4-speed (those were the days!) but was rolled out quite quickly across the full range - I switched from Ford to Vauxhall in the '80s and all mine had it - Senator, Carlton, Cavalier and Astra.

GM will be disappointed with reports of "trim isn't so good quality" as they've tried hard to upgrade the quality image.

Vauxhall Insignia - The new Vauxhall Insignia - badbusdriver

By all accounts the Insignia Grand Sport does have significantly more internal room than the outgoing Insignia which was cramped compared to the preceeding Vectra-C.

There won't be a VXR version for the UK as Chevrolet had a hand in the platform's development and "forgot" to leave room for the turbo V6 on the RHD version.

Don't rule out a VXR version just yet, everybody is downsizing and remember, the PSA group's 1.6 petrol turbo is available with up to 270bhp. Especially given that, going by what I have read, the new insignia is usefully lighter than the old one.

Don't rule out a VXR version just yet, everybody is downsizing and remember, the PSA group's 1.6 petrol turbo is available with up to 270bhp. Especially given that, going by what I have read, the new insignia is usefully lighter than the old one.

Yes - I should have qualified that - there won't be a V6 turbo VXR - they'll probally settle for the 2.0 bi-turbo

Vauxhall Insignia - The new Vauxhall Insignia - Fishermans Bend

The Holden version will have a 308 bhp V6, surely that could be sold here as a VXR.

The 2018 Holden Commodore, aka Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport, will get a US-supplied 3.6 V6 non-turbo rather than the UK-supplied 2.8 V6 turbo the outgoing model had.

Trying to sell a 3.6 non-turbo gas guzzler in the UK would be too difficult.

Following the Brexit vote, plans for high performance versions of Opel/Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport were scaled back because their justification depended on UK demand which is now expected to be much less.

I don't know if PSA has a turbo V6 that would fit the Insignia GS.

Allegedly, Chevrolet forgot RHD when packaging their turbo versions and the RHD steering column would need to go through the turbo!

Edited by RT on 07/06/2017 at 23:14

With the halo VXR8 ceasing production later this year I can well see 3.6 being imported to take its place. 0-60 is expected to come in at under 6 seconds, transmission 9-speed auto, all paw drive; as a near a replacement to the VXR8 there is likely to be, and those buyers won't have been concerned about fuel consumption. Hope the Bailey tip will be fitted.

With the halo VXR8 ceasing production later this year I can well see 3.6 being imported to take its place. 0-60 is expected to come in at under 6 seconds, transmission 9-speed auto, all paw drive; as a near a replacement to the VXR8 there is likely to be, and those buyers won't have been concerned about fuel consumption. Hope the Bailey tip will be fitted.

That contradicts what I've heard from those involved with Opel - Brexit and changes in the exchange rate caused late cancellation of intended high performance Insignia for Vauxhall - and without the volumes sold in the UK, the business case for Opel in mainland Europe meant the model was cancelled.

The specification of next generation Holden Commodore is dealt with separately and based on the Aus Dollar - Euro exchange rate - in any case GM's US 3.6 V6 is unlikely to meet Euro 6b emissions regulations but Australia is still using Euro 5 so can be sold there.

The VXR8 was/is imported in minute numbers, just 15 this year - easy enough if it's a HSV import going through SVA - but couldn't be replaced with an Opel-built car which needs much higher volume and full Type Approval.

Edited by RT on 10/06/2017 at 20:04

Vauxhall Insignia - The new Vauxhall Insignia - skidpan

Back to reality.

Spotted an ad on the TV last evening advertising the Insomnia. The prices at the end looked interesting so I did a bit of Googling.

To compare it with the Superb we own the 1.5 Turbo Petrol 165 PS in SRi spec appears to be as close as it gets. The design spec does not have climate etc and the higher specs have the usual Carlos Fandango wheels. The price for this £19285, from a reputable broker £15357. In comparison the Suberb 1.4 TSi 150 PS is £22600 or £19330 from a reputable broker.

The Insomnia is £4000 less at broker prices which appears to be a bargain.

But there appears to be a catch

Having looked at a couple of reviews and then looked at the official Insomia website I am at a compete loss at what the GM designers have been doing. The car is huge but the boot in the hatch manages a measly 495 litres, the Superb is 630 litres. Look at the options list, only a space saver is listed so I assume that if you insist on a full size spare it will rob some of that measly bootspace. In the Superb we have the full size option and it fits under the carpet with no loss of space.

495 litres less some for wanting a full size spare is probably no more than the 441 litres our Nissan Note manages and that has a full size spare that does not affect boot space.

As I say, what have the idiot GM designers been drinking?

As I say, what have the idiot GM designers been drinking?

Making the interior space for front and rear seat passengers much better - the original Insignia was much smaller internally than the Vectra-C it replaced despite being bigger externally - poor packaging in engineering-speak.and Opel have tried to rectify that, especially as the model is used as a basis for Chevrolet's Malibu and Impala, Buick's Regal and La Crosse and Holden's Commodore

That contradicts what I've heard from those involved with Opel - Brexit and changes in the exchange rate caused late cancellation of intended high performance Insignia for Vauxhall - and without the volumes sold in the UK, the business case for Opel in mainland Europe meant the model was cancelled.

The specification of next generation Holden Commodore is dealt with separately and based on the Aus Dollar - Euro exchange rate - in any case GM's US 3.6 V6 is unlikely to meet Euro 6b emissions regulations but Australia is still using Euro 5 so can be sold there.

The VXR8 was/is imported in minute numbers, just 15 this year - easy enough if it's a HSV import going through SVA - but couldn't be replaced with an Opel-built car which needs much higher volume and full Type Approval.

You've heard from the horse's mouth so sounds your information is right. Cheers for correcting me. We can still dream!

As an aside, VXR8 production has already ended - the last 15 cars have been built. Since GM North America has permanent blinkers to RHD, the Mustang is all there is in the Muscle Car segment.