Replacement exhausts good or bad? - Lrac

I appreciate we can't really have ago at any particular brands of exhaust but is there anyway of knowing which makes are good and which makes are not. Has anyone ever done a comparison?

I frequently see one brand praised that I had problems with. If it were something like oil we could all see the specs. Presumably there are people in the trade that know all the answers.

Perhaps people with good experiences could post then we would notice the abscent names.

Replacement exhausts good or bad? - gordonbennet

Always worth asking the main dealer for a price on a genuine, then search out main dealers who offer discounts for online sales , some are quite reasonably priced (some Merc's barely more expensive than a pattern) though whether even a genuine part will last quite as long as the original system is questionable.

My experience of Japanese OE systems is that they last really well, usually around 10/12 years even if left untreated, but the cars last longer, and an OE exhaust can cost more than the car itself to buy, case in point there wouldn't have been much if any change from a £bag 'o sand for an OE system on our Outback, almost impossible to find the correct pattern part due to the rear silencer on the H6 having a by pass section which opens under pressure, hence why it now has a full cat back stainless system supplied and fitted for less than £300 with lifetime guarantee, when the Landcruiser system eventually breaks up that will be getting the same.

No mild steel standard replacement part is going to last like an OE in my experience, though if you paint the thing properly before fitting it stands a better chance.

Replacement exhausts good or bad? - Lrac

I have only ever read good things about Blueprint exhausts but as they are a fraction of the cost for a Toyota exhaust for an Aygo I wonder are they inferior in any way to the Toyota system?

I am told that the 107 and Aygo are fitted with the same exhaust from new yet the main dealer prices were very different last time I looked.

The term OEM seems to be splashed around a lot when talking about exhausts. Is this just a marketing ploy to give some merit to any old cheap rubbish?

Replacement exhausts good or bad? - Wackyracer

I am told that the 107 and Aygo are fitted with the same exhaust from new yet the main dealer prices were very different last time I looked.

I'm not surprised, I'm guessing the Toyota dealer was the more expensive?

Replacement exhausts good or bad? - gordonbennet

The original Aygo exhaust looks a flimsy thing, but its lasted 7 years so far and looks like its got lots more time in it yet...if only the front discs and pads lasted like that, never known a vehicle get through them like these.

The same cannot be said of all original exhausts, i used to deliver new Vectras with exhausts that looked 5 years old, and some maker's exhausts would snap at the same weak point weeks after the makers warranty expired, Laguna 1 you would see 1 a week with the tail pipe hanging down on surface of the hard shoulder.

Replacement exhausts good or bad? - Andrew-T

No mild steel standard replacement part is going to last like an OE in my experience, though if you paint the thing properly before fitting it stands a better chance.

Mild steel exhausts will rust through from the inside if your vehicle does a lot of short journeys, as mildly acidic condensation remains inside. Worse for petrol engines, as diesel exhausts get coated internally with soot which gives reasonable protection. From the outside, winter salt is the only real threat.