Advice re buying a secondhand crossover - crisscross

We're looking to purchase a 2 or 3 year old low mileage crossover vehicle. We'd love a Nissan Qashqai but they are out of our sub £9500 budget. We tend to keep our cars as long as possible and drive them into the ground, so value retention isn't important - in fact if they have lost a significant amount from new that would be ideal.

We're looking for a decent spec'd version with as many bells and whistles as possible. We aren't bothered by make so that isn't a consideration.

Bizarrely my partner is S Cross so if they are any good it would be great but if not it would be an expensive coincidence and I'm just chuffed she's not called B Veyron!

Any advice re. choosing a make model would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Advice re buying a secondhand crossover - badbusdriver

A bit more information would be helpful. Annual mileage, size requirements, towing(?) etc. Advice on here as a general rule is to avoid diesel due to the dpf issues and also the complexity of modern diesels. As you plan to run it into the ground, a simpler petrol engine would probably be best. unless you do a lot of miles (think around 20k plus per annum), or regularly tow a caravan. Given your budget and the age of car you want, your choices are probably going to be limited. Go on autotrader have a browse through potential cars which fit your criteria. See what takes your fancy, then look through the honest john reviews for that car paying particular attention to 'what goes wrong'. Then ask on here again about 2 or 3 specific cars. But for the record, you can get into a 2015 s-cross 1.6 petrol (or diesel) with low miles. A quick look on autotrader found me a white petrol with 10k miles. Other options would be dacia duster, kia soul, peugeot 2008, renault captur. Incidentally, there are currently 3 petrol qashqai's on autotrader, all 2014 and with less than 20k miles for less than £9.5k.

One more thing though, you want all the bells and whisles. This is not a great idea on a car you plan to run into the ground. The more bells and whistles there is on the car, the more there is to go wrong. And the older the car gets, the more likely one or more of these bells or whistles will go wrong, potentially at great expense. The US military have an acronym which applies here, KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid)!.

Advice re buying a secondhand crossover - Avant

Even better look at Cars for Sale on this site.

Even better look at Cars for Sale on this site.

Fair point Avant. But, and not trying to knock that part of the site, there is not enough search options. Cant choose age, fuel, gearbox or (weirdly) even mileage.

So for someone like the OP, who doesnt know what make or model to look for, but does know they want up to 3 years and low mileage, it is of limited use. Unless the OP has the time to trawl through ten's if not hundred's of cars which do not fall into that criteria.

Advice re buying a secondhand crossover - alan1302

Fair point Avant. But, and not trying to knock that part of the site, there is not enough search options. Cant choose age, fuel, gearbox or (weirdly) even mileage.

You can do - do the search on the car you want and then choose those options on the laft hand side.

You can do - do the search on the car you want and then choose those options on the laft hand side.

My point still stands though. If you dont know what make or model you want, that's of little use. If i go on autotrader or ebay i can search for cars just by age, mileage, fuel type, gearbox type etc, without needing to put in a make and model.

Advice re buying a secondhand crossover - S40 Man

Have you looked at ssang Yong Tivoli?

I am getting back 48 hrv test drive next weekm HJ gives it 4*.

Might be able to get a 2015 for be your b 9.5k budget.

I'll post a review once in try it out.

Apparently you can get a £10 m&s voucher for the effort. That's a half decent bottle of wine (possibly?)

www.ssangyonggb.co.uk/pages/tivolitestdrive

Advice re buying a secondhand crossover - Falkirk Bairn

Neighbour opposite has one - some early teething issues with electrical gremlins but he is happy otherwise - Xmas tree dashboard on the Diesel.2WD.

They were fixed after a bit of trial &error. He had a towbar fitted prior to delivery & again it was back & forward a few times - detachable which was difficult to fix on & detach...odd!

SSanyoung Dealer in business say 20 years formerly did Suzuki, prior to that Proton........so not a great batting record on the cars - he was their first towbar!

Bought just under a year ago he bought a del miles car with some 15+% off list - but it does a better job day to day than the Antara which was a bad buy 2nd hand from a main Vx dealer -

Full Service history (there was none), service before you drive it away (HO complaint before branch serviced the car), it had full mats on Test Drive BUT paper valet on pick-up, it broke down after 10 miles, it needed a new battery, spare wheel but no jack or wrench so they put in a tyre inflator instead............it was a year old with 10K miles.

Advice re buying a secondhand crossover - S40 Man

I had the Tivoli I mentioned in a recent post for 24 h and did 85 miles in it.

Good points- The cabin was quite nice with heated leather seats, although the steering wheel was very plasticky (you touch ths all the time).

It had lots of toys Sat Nav, Rear reverse camera, parking sensors, speed limit warning, lane departure, tyre pressure indicator

Bad points Computer read out (only) for mpg 48 mpg for 1,6 D my 2.0 mk4 Mondeo on similar trip would do 52 mpg. It was a new car so MPG may improve wth mileage.

Handling was OK but I wouldn't like to drive it quickly cross country. It just didn't seem to flow from one corner to the next. Town and motorway use it was OK..

Ambivalent ponts- It has an elevated rde height so I felt like I was sat on top of it rather than in it. Thats rather the point of crossovers (I believe) It didn't feel natural to me after 25 years of normal cars. If you like that sort of thing it may be OK and similar to other crossovers.

Would I consider one?

If I hardly ever drove cross country and wanted a cheapish car with lots of toys It might do a job.

Currently used ones 15 reg 10000 miles are available for around £10k but not much stock outside main dealers. In a year or 2 I expect they will fall in price a lot.

They are currently more than an equivalent Ford Focus. My wife has a 14 reg one, and the Tivoli was not as nice to drive as this but was possibly a nicer place to sit.

Conclusion - The oily bits not great but the non-oily bits are quite nice.

Advice re buying a secondhand crossover - Palcouk

Insufficient info re annual mileage, auto/manual etc

Bells & whistles are expensive if keeping the vehicle, likewise diesel has dpf maintenance issues

Peugot 3008 or Dacia Duster springs to mind, Honda CRV if you can find one, Qashqai not a good idea

Advice re buying a secondhand crossover - TR7

Ssangyong Kiorando worth a look. I bought a 2013 model last year top spec. and its a great car. I drive around 30k a year and have had no problems. I have driven a Qashqai and it beats it hands down. 150 bhp so plenty of power if needed. Five year warranty from new also.

Advice re buying a secondhand crossover - jgrahampo

Korando can also be remapped quite well