UK drivers will get fines for speeding in Europe - focussed

I thought this had already been brought in -

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/05/british-motori.../

UK drivers will get fines for speeding in Europe - Bromptonaut

Typical UK reporting of EU related issues.

Article says that "a quirk of the European law will create a "one-way" system in which Europeans caught speeding in the UK cannot be pursued by British police"

The quirk is entirely domestic and arises from fact we prosecute driver rather than having 'owner liability' as is domestic law in many other states.

"having 'owner liability' as is domestic law in many other states"

Not strictly true at least in the case of France where I live.

Up to last year when company vehicles were flashed by speed cameras the fine went to the company, as the vehicle was registered to the company, drivers were getting away with paying the fine back to the company and not getting points deducted - this was very widespread and commonplace.

The law changed last year so that it became compulsory for the company to identify the driver, I can't remember what the penalty for failing to identify the driver was.

UK drivers will get fines for speeding in Europe - Middleman

There certainly are complications brought about by Section 172 of the UK’s Road Traffic Act. This requires the Registered Keeper (and then sometimes the “person keeping the vehicle”) to identify the driver in such a way that the nomination provides evidence to support the speeding charge (which can only be brought against the driver).

Having just read the article it seems that the new rules will only apply in countries where the vehicle owner is liable for speeding offences. Sending a S172 request (for driver’s details) to the keeper of a foreign registered car is unlikely to see much success and without a suitable response a prosecution for speeding in the UK is impossible.

UK drivers will get fines for speeding in Europe - concrete

Just goes to show we must all be careful wherever we drive and obey the law. This all started during the financial crash in 2008/9. The French particularly saw motorists as a cash cow. Who said we couldn't teach the Europeans anything? They saw how much cash is raised over here and wanted a slice of the action. Ms Hollande in particular brought in some legislation very quickly to raise money for his beleagured exchequer. Virtually overnight it became very apparent that you had to be extremely careful while driving in France. Luckily, when on holiday I am not in a particular hurry so havn't fallen foul of this tactic, but I have witnessed a few distraut British motorists paying fines at the roadside or risk having their vehicle impounded if they refuse. Doesn't matter where you are- 'You can't fight City Hall'. Cheers Concrete

It gets worse, unmarked cars fitted with speed radars that can read speed when stationary and when moving in traffic, either with the traffic or against it.

www.radars-auto.com/info-radars/radars-mobiles-mob.../

It now gets much worse - the cars are operated by private companies, not police or gendarmes.

If you right-click on the article and then click translate you should be able to read it in english.

Thank you for the heads up focussed. I shall be en francais very soon for quite a few weeks and shall keep my eyes open. It pays to keep your wits about you and a sharp eye for the underhand. Nil Illigitimus Carborundum!!! Cheers Concrete.

UK drivers will get fines for speeding in Europe - FP

"I shall be en francais very soon..."

I think that across the Channel they would rather you put "en France"...

It's possible that you might try to speak a little français, or even have a drink with les Français de la localité.

Pédant, moi? :-)

Edited by FP on 09/05/2017 at 17:58

"I shall be en francais very soon..."

I think that across the Channel they would rather you put "en France"...

It's possible that you might try to speak a little français, or even have a drink with les Français de la localité.

Pédant, moi? :-)

Not according to my source. Still Pot Pouri mon ami.

What is the French for Duck?

It's Canard.

Yes it is isn't it!!!

Au reservoir.

Concrete