VV Golf - What is good mileage for a used VV Golf - JasperLavender
I am looking at buying a VV golf. However a 2006 and above model with around 45000 miles is going over my budget. Should I go for an
1. older model ( how old) ,
2 more mileage ( how much is advisable)
3 or instead look for Polo to keep cost affordable.

How much mileage is ok for a car like VV Golf?

Thanks
VV Golf - What is good mileage for a used VV Golf - Ray Sing

They are pretty solid cars really. I had a 2010 tdi which had done 140k and that didn't miss a beat for the time I had it. That being said, most of those miles were motorway miles as the interior was mint, and it also had full service history, which obviously become quite important for cars that have got around a fair bit...

VV Golf - What is good mileage for a used VV Golf - Cyd

I'm in a US based VW forum where someone claims to have a Golf with 1,000,000 mles on it. I'd say that's pretty good.

VV Golf - What is good mileage for a used VV Golf - craig-pd130

Looking at the mileage the car has done is very misleading, especially when the vehicle is 10+ years old. A car with 20,000 miles could be on its last legs; a car with 200,000 miles may run like a Swiss watch and have years of useful life left. You cannot tell from the mileage alone.

Look at the vehicle's condition, but more importantly, look for proof that the car has been cared for - i.e. a full service history, with evidence to back up the history, i.e. receipts for the work done, a file of old MOT certificates etc etc.

If the car has been looked after even half-heartedly, there will be receipts and history with it.

Do not under any circumstances believe an owner, or a dealer, who tells you the car has a full service history but they "can't find the service book at the moment" or "will get you all the paperwork later".

If you're looking for an older Polo or Golf, there are literally thousands of them to choose from. Take your time, and if you're in any way suspicious about a car that you're looking at, listen to your instinct and walk away.

VV Golf - What is good mileage for a used VV Golf - SLO76
Condition and service history are more important than mileage but remember despite the reputation the Mk V Golf is not the best of cars. They suffer from rust around wheelarches, door bottoms and on the tailgate, cheap poor quality paint repairs are common. ABS control module failure is also common and costly to fix - though there are firms who repair them. They also require a costly timing belt change every 4yrs which is guaranteed to be due or overdue on any you look at so budget on £300-£400 to do it and the water pump.

The petrol engines are fairly robust and the pre DPF 1.9 TDi is long lived if looked after as is the old 2.0 SDi but the 2.0 TDi is troublesome and any with a DPF will be a pain as these older gen engines were never designed to take it. Take a look on HJ's car by car reviews and you'll find loads to worry about on a Mk V Golf. They really aren't worth paying extra for.

I'd open up your search to include the much nicer to drive and much more reliable Mazda 3 and Ford Focus 1.6/1.8, the practical and tough Honda Civic 1.8 and the near bombproof Toyota Corolla. All of which would be better cars on a limited budget like yours. Stick to petrol, diesels are more trouble than they're worth.
VV Golf - What is good mileage for a used VV Golf - skidpan
I'd open up your search to include the much nicer to drive and much more reliable Mazda 3 and Ford Focus 1.6/1.8, the practical and tough Honda Civic 1.8

The Ford Focus is without a doubt the nicest to drive and with the 1.8 petrol engine is plentiful and should be easy to find a good one. Forget the 1.6 petrol, its slow but in its defence it is a smooth motor. A 2.0 would be OK but they are pretty rare.

Despite being based on the same mechanicals as the Focus the Mazda is not as comfortable or refined plus they are not as plentiful and don't have a 1.8 option, personally I would not waste my time looking and would forget them.

As for the Honda, the 1.8 petrol is slow unless you rev the nuts off them, the ride is truly appalling and they are noisy. Big boot and flexible seats are good but overall not as good as Focus.

VV Golf - What is good mileage for a used VV Golf - SLO76
As skidpan clearly points out we all have our own tastes so take time to try a few different models to see what you personally prefer.

My experience comes from being a salesman at a large local dealer where I cut my teeth at our sub £5k trade in branch. I quickly learned that when buying on a budget it's wise to keep things as simple as possible. Avoid turbocharged engines, modern diesels, automated manual gearboxes like VW's DSG etc etc. Japanese brands are definitely more reliable in general and better engineered over all.

As for skidpan's suggestion that you forget the Mazda 3 well I've bought, sold and personally owned dozens of these over the years with not one moments trouble with any of them. Keep away from the soft PSA diesel and the bombproof chain driven petrol engines will give great service. Yes the 1.6 is no ball of fire (there's a 2.0 Sport if you want) but it'll keep pace with traffic flow and the handling, steering feel and excellent gearchange make it a fun thing to pilot along a twisty B road. Nicer than the Focus in my opinion but it's marginal.

The Focus is a brilliant car and the Mazda designed 1.8 is the best all rounder but don't ignore the sweeter revving, smoother Yamaha designed 1.6. It's perfectly able enough for most tastes and there's loads to choose from. Condition, history and mileage are more important than a few extra bhp.

I've no idea where skidpan gets the notion that the Civic 1.8 VTEC is slow, I can only guess that it was actually a 1.4 he drove - there's no badge on the tail to differentiate between the 1.4 and 1.8 VTEC. Truth is it's the quickest and most powerful car here with 138bhp and a sprightly 0-60 time of 8.6 seconds. Yes it lacks low speed pull compared to a modern turbocharged car but let it rev and there's plenty of power there.

Again I've bought and sold loads of these over the years and I've never found them sluggish. The ride is a little firm especially on SI and Ti models but the S and SE are softer. They're hugely practical, very reliable and easy to sell on again plus despite having substantially more power than the rest they're also more economical too. Handling is a bit dull and the steering lacks feel however but this matters little to most buyers and it makes for a good stable motorway companion.

Edited by SLO76 on 27/04/2017 at 10:30

VV Golf - What is good mileage for a used VV Golf - S40 Man
I am looking at buying a VV golf. However a 2006 and above model with around 45000 miles is going over my budget. Should I go for an 1. older model ( how old) , 2 more mileage ( how much is advisable) 3 or instead look for Polo to keep cost affordable. How much mileage is ok for a car like VV Golf? Thanks

Does it need to be a VW? You can get very similar mechanicals in Skoda or Seat form for probably less cash -lower badge premium.

Or for the same money you could get a Ford Focus or VX Astra (zero badge premium). You would surely then get a newer car or less milage.

The Mrs used to have a mk2 focus. It was very good.

I have mk4 Mondeo it is also very good - HJ 5*