Honda Accord 2011 - Clutch Judder When Reversing - brambobb

A couple of months ago I bought a used Honda Accord 2.0 petrol with a very low mileage. The car runs almost like new with one exception (i.e. the clutch). In normal running it is as smooth as can be with no noise or slippage but the problem comes when I come to reverse it up my fairly steep driveway,

The engine note changes to a low rumble and the car judders really badly. Even my 4 year old granddaughter asks why it is (in her words) so bumpy.

I took it back to the Honda dealer where I purchased the car who said that they could not identify a problem and asked a second Honda dealer for theit opinion, but they also said the same thing. Has anyone any ideas on what this could perhaps be? Thanks

Edited by brambobb on 18/03/2017 at 20:06

Honda Accord 2011 - Clutch Judder When Reversing - gordonbennet

Check engine and gearbox mountings, also check a driveshaft isn't fouling if it is it should be obvious by a shiny or polished section if its rubbing.

Try getting an assistant to reverse the car against the handbrake whilst you watch the engine with the bonnet raised, the rumbling you describe is possibly the exhaust being forced against a part of the body or subframe due to a worn or broken engine mounting, excess engine movement should be fairly obvious.

Honda Accord 2011 - Clutch Judder When Reversing - SLO76
Clutches seem to be a weak point on Honda's. Our CRV had a new one fitted under warranty at 25,000 miles because of a nasty judder when the car was cold.

I believe it's oil contaminating the clutch plate but Honda said there had been a slightly bent fork but If this had been the case then it would've juddered all the time and not just from cold. Sadly the replacement is now showing signs of going the same way which adds further weight to my initial diagnosis.

Having said this, I have only heard of it on diesels so far and not petrol and if it was the clutch it would surely do it in first gear too. Our useless main dealer kept returning the car to us saying they couldn't find fault yet by the end it was pretty much undrivable when cold. I bypassed them and called Honda customer services direct who then arranged to have the car reassessed, finding the problem and agreeing to a new clutch. No use when they didn't fix the real problem though. Shame really, they are otherwise excellent cars.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/03/2017 at 09:22

Honda Accord 2011 - Clutch Judder When Reversing - Railroad.

Clutch judder will always be worst in reverse or first gear because they are the lowest ratios. The cause is most likely oil or grease on the clutch friction surfaces or worn 'take up' springs on the friction disc. The pressure plate could also be distorted, expecially if a low mileage car has previously been owned by an elderly driver who slipped the clutch often.

Honda Accord 2011 - Clutch Judder When Reversing - focussed
Clutches seem to be a weak point on Honda's. Our CRV had a new one fitted under warranty at 25,000 miles because of a nasty judder when the car was cold. I believe it's oil contaminating the clutch plate but Honda said there had been a slightly bent fork but If this had been the case then it would've juddered all the time and not just from cold. Sadly the replacement is now showing signs of going the same way which adds further weight to my initial diagnosis. Having said this, I have only heard of it on diesels so far and not petrol and if it was the clutch it would surely do it in first gear too. Our useless main dealer kept returning the car to us saying they couldn't find fault yet by the end it was pretty much undrivable when cold. I bypassed them and called Honda customer services direct who then arranged to have the car reassessed, finding the problem and agreeing to a new clutch. No use when they didn't fix the real problem though. Shame really, they are otherwise excellent cars.

Our 2015 Accord 2.2 type S had a clutch judder from new when reversing but after 5K miles it bedded in and is not now a problem - possibly a different clutch pack to the CRV because it's the N22B1 178 hp diesel.