Foreign Servicing - BobbyG
As mentioned in my other thread (help with route planning) I am going to France for a weeks holiday, driving my Scenic dci.
I have just realised that I will hit the 18,000 miles for its first service whilst I am there. I know buying cars is cheaper abroad, but has anyone any experience on whether I should try and get it serviced whilst over there?
Would it be the same service as here?
Cheaper or dearer?
Still covered by manufacturers warranty?

Any thoughts?
Foreign Servicing - Nsar
Why not get it serviced before you go?
Foreign Servicing - Cardew
BobbyG,
There have been a number of posts in the Backroom about owners going on a day trip to France for the purpose of getting their cars serviced. The savings apparantly more than paid for the trip and the duty free was a bonus. This applied to not just French cars but other foreign cars; although the savings on the native cars was higher.

C
Foreign Servicing - BobbyG
Any idea how long ago?
Foreign Servicing - Andrew-T
Don't know if it's still the case, but 20 years ago I was able to get a fanbelt changed on a Maxi within 45 mins of asking, somewhere in eastern France. 'Will the day after tomorrow be OK, sir?'
Foreign Servicing - volvod5_dude
I would be a bit wary about taking your car to France during the present situation.

VD5D.
Foreign Servicing - Andy
A friend of mine had his tyres slashed in Calais last week. Cost him nearly £500 plus the hassle to get them replaced.
I am seriously thinking about cancelling my French holiday this year. I am getting a lot of pressure from my wife, she thinks the British will be targets. The Government have advised British citizens working in France to be extra vigilant to check for car bombs and remove GB stickers and diplomatic plates. A bit worrying.

VD5D
Foreign Servicing - Nsar
There is no suggestion about anti-British feeling from the French! The Foreign Office advice concerns terrorist threats to British buildings eg consulates etc. Given the French stand against the war I'd put it as one of the safer countries in terms of general terrorist threat certainly less risk than London. I can't wait to get to Provence in July.
Foreign Servicing - smokie
Presumably insurance covers this? Not suggesting it wasn't an inconvenience, but just concerned for my June trip. (And DEFINITELY going to wait until then to replace the tyres - not paying £400 over here just to get them slashed!))
I personally think there is a risk if you are British in France so you need be extra careful. Back in the 70's there was a lot of pro IRA feeling in France and I remember hotel owners insisting I parked my car in their garages under lock & key. Perhaps I should use my recently aquired French number plates!

VD5D
Foreign Servicing - Big Cat
A couple I know have a holiday house in France and they always try and get their Citroen serviced out there at the same time. They reckon it's a big saving.

I'm off to France at Easter for two weeks, maybe the war will be over by then...
Foreign Servicing - THe Growler
Is it possible to have your car registered in France as well as UK? That way you could swap your license plates over to local ones when you get there.

Thinking of HKG where you have a local reg but another plate for driving across to mainland China.

Although I guess the steering wheel on the wrong side would be a clue.

I would have though there might be a bigger risk for the French in UK after their President's UN performance.....
Foreign Servicing - kex
Nice idea but the lights would also need to be changed as well, I have gone down this line, as I sometimes drive my wifes French registered car over here. Any car in the UK but not on UK plates must be registered if over here for more than six "continous" months.