Ford focus 04 (mk1 98-04) 1.8 diesel - Engine dying on startup, chugging and losing revs - Dan luffman

Couldn't fit it all in the title, bought the car as a cheap stop gap, it's had camel replaced and a service, but has had a squealing noise on acceleration, sometimes even slipping completely, since I got it.

More recently it has started to take many attempts to start, usually with revving the engine or it starts drops past 900rpm and stalls, it is also having a kind of chugging / losing power feeling at lower revs particularly in 2nd and third gear when I am going at lower speeds (traffic or residential roads etc) and sometimes, particularly going uphill a very large juddering sensation almost like the whole engine is wobbling about!

The garage I got it from has replaced the filters as he thought it may be that but it hasn't made much difference, just wondering if there was any ideas on here from people who had experienced similar before I go and throw more cash at random problems in the hope it's one of them!

Thanks!

Edit: incase it wasn't obvious I have little to no technical know how, so excuse the vague and probably incorrect terms!

Edited by Dan luffman on 03/03/2017 at 15:54

Ford focus 04 (mk1 98-04) 1.8 diesel - Engine dying on startup, chugging and losing revs - hardway

Sorry but replaced the camel!!!!!

You totally got me lost there!

Anyhoo the squealing is most like a new alernator belt needed and the performance would lead me to test the vacuum integrity of the fuel feed for intake leaks.

Ford focus 04 (mk1 98-04) 1.8 diesel - Engine dying on startup, chugging and losing revs - mss1tw

Sorry but replaced the camel!!!!!

You totally got me lost there!

Anyhoo the squealing is most like a new alernator belt needed and the performance would lead me to test the vacuum integrity of the fuel feed for intake leaks.

Cam-belt I assume he means. Brilliant typo. Sounds like his car has the hump ;)