VW Golf mk7 1.2 TSI - what size alloys? - irie_jeff

I currently have 15" steel wheels and I want to upgrade to alloys. I'm not sure what maximum size alloy I can fit on my car? any advice would be appreciated.

it's a 2013 Golf mk7 1.2 TSI 103BHP

VW Golf mk7 1.2 TSI - what size alloys? - RobJP

Whilst big wheels might look nice, do note the following :

The tyres will be more expensive.

The tyres will wear out quicker - so those more expensive tyres need replacing more often

The lower-profile tyres will be more susceptible to damage from potholes and the like

The bigger alloy wheels are also more susceptible to damage.

The ride quality will be worse.

You do need to inform your insurance company, and they might increase your premium - failure to inform (and they do ask if the vehicle has been modified in any way) would be insurance fraud.

On the plus side ...

The cornering and handling will be fractionally better. In general motoring, however, you'd really struggle to notice the difference. Maybe if you were flat out round a racetrack.

As to what size wheel (and what size of tyre to put on them), if you have a look at the sticker which details your tyre pressures (usually on the drivers door slam panel), then it will tell you all the options for your car.

I believe you can go up to 18" wheels, if you're really a masochist.

VW Golf mk7 1.2 TSI - what size alloys? - veloceman
I have 18s on my 2016 Leon FR and always suprised how good the ride is. Cost is reasonable at £100 a corner for a premium brand.
Only down side I found is slightly more road noise but not intolerable.
May help, depending on your the year of your golf.
VW Golf mk7 1.2 TSI - what size alloys? - skidpan

16" alloys on Mk 7 Golfs (and Mk 3 Leons) are fine. The ride is good, the tyres cheap (£60 a corner for a good brand) and the road noise is minimal.

One of the factors that stopped me from replacing the Leon with another is the simple fact to get the 1.4 TSi 150 PS engine I would have to put up with 224 45 17 tyres and having had that size before I know they are noisy, expensive and wear fast on a car that is normally fitted with 16" alloys.

In truth you have a 1.2 and not a hot hatch. Putting huge wheels and tyres on it will simply slow it down and well as making it noisy, less economical and back breaking.

Do you really want a slower, less economical, noisy and uncomfortable car?

Edited by skidpan on 24/02/2017 at 17:59

VW Golf mk7 1.2 TSI - what size alloys? - Engineer Andy

Also - lower profile tryes work far less well in snow.