Xantia Central Locking Fault - Philter
Has anyone come across this? My 1997 Xantia 1.9TD started locking (then deadlocking!) me in the car whilst I was driving along. It happened sporadically and if I am stationary and I open a door the locks bounce up and down a number of times before remaining unlocked for a brief respite, then lock me in again. It is as if something somewhere is sending a signal to lock/deadlock through the wiring/electronics. Citroens said there was nothing wrong with the central locking control box or the alarm control box (they are linked) but that the fault must be somewhere in the wiring loom and said it could take days to trace, and so cost a lot. I had a look at it myself and found water under the carpet in the passenger footwell where some of the wiring passes, so I sealed the source and dried it all out but to no avail. It still misbehaved unpredictably.
In the end I had to disable the locking system (and by consequence the alarm and interior lights) by removing the front multipin plug from the side of the c/l control unit under the central console (Citroen told me how to do this). I've about got used to manual locking again (very frustrating since the door lock pullers were never designed for manual use) and the key holes are wearing out because they were never designed for frequent use either. If I re-enable (with battery disconnected)it to see if anything I do has had any effect, the locking then only operates on a "one button straight to deadlock and alarm set", whereas before I had one button on the key to lock and the second button to deadlock and set the alarm.
Oh the joys of French electrics! Can anyone give me any clue as to where the source of this false signal might be?
Regards
Phil W
Xantia Central Locking Fault - PhilW
Phil W,
I'm guessing but since I am PhilW with a Xantia I feel duty bound to reply. Since Cit say it isn't the control boxes have you investigated the lock itself? Or how about where the wiring loom goes from the door to the A pillar - that will get constant flexing and may also get trapped by the door leading to damage? Would it be any good to disconnect the drivers door lock and see if all the others behave normally to narrow it down? Probably useless suggestions but you never know... anyway, maybe someone who knows what he is talking about will be along in a minute!!
PhilW
Xantia Central Locking Fault - Mondaywoe
Not a faulty plip by any chance? These Xantia fobs tend to disintegrate internally and need re-soldering.

Just a thought....

Graeme