Alfa Romeo 147 - Advice on selling car please - James88

Hello,

I was wondering if someone would mind giving me some advice on a car I have recently listed on autotrader preview.tinyurl.com/hruwsxh

It has been listed for almost a week and I've only had one response asking if I would accept £1,000

I am wondering why I have not had more responses,

Is it priced correctly? The listing is based on the autotrader recommendation.

Is the description / photos good enough?

Many thanks

James

Alfa Romeo 147 - Advice on selling car please - SLO76
That's not an Autotrader link so don't click on it!

Sorry - tried to use the tinyurl site, obviously not very well,

here is the full link

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170204198...1

Alfa Romeo 147 - Advice on selling car please - S40 Man

1 you can get similar car from dealer not private sale for same or less money. dealer you get more comeback so private sale needs to be cheaper.

2 photo 1 looks like car is dented I think maybe it's just the light but it's off putting.

3 is it listed right on at? I have app and couldn't find your car on search function, only via the link? If no-one can see if they can't be interested.

4 it's quite an old motor now.

5 Maybe someone saw ncap score for your car.

www.euroncap.com/en/results/alfa-romeo/147/15536. ?

The pictures of the exterior aren't very flattering and have been taken in what I assume is your work carpark? This makes it look like a trader masquerading as a private seller or someone who doesn't want to reveal their home address. Take fresh photos at home in your drive if you have one, if not then be sneaky and use parents or a friends nice looking house and drive. People judge on the location the pics are taken in.

You have also put a bit too much information into the description. You don't need to tell them about every minor fault and stone chip, if they expect a sub £2k car to be perfect they're idiots. Keep it straight to the point. List the basics and include the fact it has a full service history and recent timing belt plus water pump. If you put too much info in the important details are less likely to stick out.

Now down to your price. These retail around that sort of money and trade at well under £1,000 so I'd put it on at £1250 and would snap the arm off anyone with £1,000 in their hand. They're fairly trouble prone wee cars and buyers see them as a risk so no one will pay much money with the mindset that if anything major goes they'll just bin it.

Most important thing is those photos though. Alfas sell on style above all else and this looks and sounds a tidy wee example. It needs a few good pictures to lure viewers in. Remember also they attract more than their fair share of boy racers and fly guys do be careful when taking payment, demonstrating (99% chance they won't be covered by another ins policy) and processing the paperwork. Take a pic or photocopy of the V5 once they've filled it in in case they land a speeding fine or parking ticket on their way home.

Thank you both for your comments, very helpful. I'll take some better pictures and tweak the wording on the advert.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond,

James

Alfa Romeo 147 - Advice on selling car please - TedCrilly

Cars such as this attract enthusiasts rather than people on a budget.

Try advertising it on an owners forum or in a magazine that caters for this marque.

Alfa Romeo 147 - Advice on selling car please - -Kat-

As has been said need clearer photos ideally in a nice location.

I think another problem is the road tax of £270 per year on a £1000 car is a huge percentage of initial cost especally as the new owner will want to run it on next to nothing

Hi all

Quick update - I have now sold the car so thanks for your help and advice. SL076 - do you have a charity or know someone with a just giving website I can make a donation to as a token of my appreciation? Thanks James
Cancer research is close to my heart but I'm just happy you've sold it.

Thanks, I've made a donation.