MINI One - Mini TLC service pack - nicnac

HI,

I have a 2012 Mini One which came with the TLC service pack which covers the service for 5 years or 50,000 miles. As far as i was aware, there was no limit on the services in this period.

i took my car to a mini dealer and now they tell me there is a limit on the services and i now have to pay. They have since removed the terms and conditions on their website for the 5years or 50000 miles plan.

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number and types of service under the 5 years or 50000miles plan?

Thanks,

MINI One - Mini TLC service pack - boggles
I don't know the recommendations for Mini services, regarding annual mileage. Most cars though, get an annual service, even if you haven't reached service mileage. So, on a 2012 car, I would expect 5 services to be in the plan. The last one would be this year. Have you got five stamps in the service book, or on the computer records already? If so, I would think the plan is finished.
MINI One - Mini TLC service pack - Brit_in_Germany

Does this help?

www.mini-service.co.uk/terms_and_conditions

MINI One - Mini TLC service pack - SLO76
"Low mileage vehicles should be serviced every two years."

The reason why so many older Minis suffer poor reliability. Oil should be changed every year, this is even more vital on low mileage cars that are used for lots of local stop start driving where the oil never reaches full temperature.

I don't know the current cost of these service packs but if you buy a 5yr TLC pack then you may only see two services from your outlay since the interval is 18,600 miles or two years whichever comes first according to Mini. No wonder so many modern Minis were in the bin before their tenth birthday.
MINI One - Mini TLC service pack - nicnac

i have had 3 services so far and my mileage is approx 38000 and i did not pay anything extra.

So it's 5yrs old and has 38,000 miles, meaning you do around 7,500 miles per year. The manufacturer service interval is 18,600 miles meaning you're only due a service every second year according to the terms of the pack. By that measure you're already ahead of the game with 3 services then.

I don't like these pre pay service deals when they don't cover the annual oil changes every engine needs to stay healthy in the longterm. It might save some money but it'll cost when you come to sell as the car doesn't have a full service history at all despite what the manufacturer and the dealer tell you.

If I came to view it or was offered it in part ex I'd write down its value by several hundred pounds for this as will many traders and dealers. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but at least you say you didn't pay for it at the start.
MINI One - Mini TLC service pack - Avant

SWMBO had several Minis, and we came to realise that the TLC package wasn't the bargain it claimed to be.

However strongly some of us on here might feel about annual oil changes, most Mini customers will believe the manufacturer and go along with what they recommend. Most of those who buy new Minis don't do high mileages (unless they're estate agents).

So it follows that typically TLC will end up covering only one or two services in the 5 years, however many owners the Mini has. Nice work if you can get it, BMW.

Edited by Avant on 01/02/2017 at 23:43

MINI One - Mini TLC service pack - skidpan

The intention of the Mini TLC pack is quite clear and simple. You get 5 years or 50,000 miles of servicing. Minis officially need a service every 2 years or 18,500 approx (whichever comes first) thus in 5 years you get a max of 2 services regardless of wether they are dictated by time or distance.

BMW are quite clever with the 50,000 miles since the greatest distance you can actually get the 2nd service is 37,000 miles. It looks better on paper than in reality.

But if you did 37,000 miles in 2 years there would still be 3 years left on the plan and if your mileage dropped to say 60,000 miles a year you would be due the next service after 2 years but still just under 50,000 miles. That way you should get 3 services, wonder if its worked for anyone.

But at £150 its still far cheaper than paying for individual services. Just carry out an interim oil change yourself using a Pela extractor if you are uneasy about extended oil changes.

MINI One - Mini TLC service pack - Brit_in_Germany

If it is a diesel, the interval is 12,400 miles so a bit more generous and three or four services would be due if you cover enough miles.

MINI One - Mini TLC service pack - sydney the oz

We've had 2 Minis from new and would not buy another. Everything is 'smoke and mirrors' in our experience, including the dealer trying it on to charge £50 (yes, £50) to charge the battery overnight to investigate the stop-start not working whilst the car was still in warranty. We also fell foul of the TLC package as above as ours was a low mileage car.

When buying the first Mini the local dealer would not do a deal on the day, so I found another one on the phone that would. When dealer 1 phoned to ask where his order was, and was told that he had had the chance on the day to close but didn't take it, he said 'they can't do that' regarding dealer 2's flexibility. That told me all I needed to know.

MINI One - Mini TLC service pack - catsdad
Despite the poor service cover in some instances it seems to me that there a lot of tidy older Minis around. Just my subjective view of course.

Out of curiosity I tried to see if I could find the survival rate of 2003 minis - the first year of full sales I think. I did dig out that 40500 were sold in uk but I couldn't find anything to track the survival of particular years, just overall numbers of the model (irrespective of age) registered at the year-end.

Anyone know if surival data of cars from a particular year is accessible anywhere?
Despite the poor service cover in some instances it seems to me that there a lot of tidy older Minis around. Just my subjective view of course. Out of curiosity I tried to see if I could find the survival rate of 2003 minis - the first year of full sales I think. I did dig out that 40500 were sold in uk but I couldn't find anything to track the survival of particular years, just overall numbers of the model (irrespective of age) registered at the year-end. Anyone know if surival data of cars from a particular year is accessible anywhere?

There was a good series in Car Mechanics not long back on the first of the new Minis recently and it didn't make good reading. It's a car I actively avoid with expensive issues aplenty to worry owners and sellers. Gearbox issues on the original Chrysler engined cars are very common among plenty of other problems. Survival rates as far as I can see from being a regular attendee at auction and constant Autotrader and Gumtree stalker are far lower than cheaper and better made rivals especially of those of Japanese heritage. Poor durability is combining with some costly parts to make otherwise tidy cars unviable.
MINI One - Mini TLC service pack - catsdad
Thanks slo. I guess what I see are the shiny body panels but hiding a lot of nasties beneath.
MINI One - Mini TLC service pack - Dave cartlidge

Hi, ive just seen this link and had exactly the same problem today.

Did you manage to get the dealer or MINI UK to honour the TLC wording of 5 years or 50000 miles? Intested to know because I'm in dispute with dealer.

MINI One - Mini TLC service pack - RobJP

If you detail a bit more exactly what is in dispute, then you may be able to get some advice.

The TLC pack covered for X years or Y miles, whichever comes first - and exactly what is covered has varied over time. The pack being sold with new cars now, for example, is 3 years / 36k miles. A couple of years ago, the pack covered 5 years/50k miles.