Toyota Avensis - Buying an older higher mileage Toyota - Ebob

Hi,

I am looking to buy a used Toyota Avensis Estate diesel and I am torn between buying one for around £4k 2008 with 100k on the clock or spending a bit more like £7.5k and getting something around 2011/12 with around 70k on the clock.

I am starting a new job and could afford to take out a bank loan and spend around £7.5k but I don't really like spending money if it's unnecessary and I'd rather not unless I have to.

My question is will it be better in the long run to invest in something better or will the cheaper option be a solid runner?

The older car is the old shape so there is a saving for that reason. Also I know the maintenance cost will be higher for the older car but then I will have spent £3.5k less on the actual car (almost half!) and the depreciation will be low. I would intend on keeping it until scrap or PX.

My thoughts are all used cars are going to need repair work and this isn't necessarily going to spike once the car reaches 100k. There seems to be a perception that because on older cars the clock didn't go past 99,999 miles without going back to zero and at this point cars used to be shot, that buying a 100k car these days will still be a wreck.

I would have thought a Toyota with FSH should easily reach 15 years old and 150k miles.

That being said I don't want to end up with something that I can't rely on and that will have expensive repair bills and wish i'd just spent the money on a newer car instead.

My gf's 1.4 tdci fiesta was 8 years old when we bought it for £3.5k with 70k on the clock and a FSH. It's not been too bad but it's had suspension problems, electrical fault new slave cylinder and clutch kit in the 18 months we've had it so hopefully just a phase however it now has a rough idle in the cold weather when the engine is cold. Hopefully a Toyota will be a more solid brand.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Toyota Avensis - Buying an older higher mileage Toyota - corax

You should have no worries about the older model if it has good history. They can go on and on with very little going wrong. Suspension and electrics are tough, bodies don't rust, exhausts last a long time.

Bear in mind that the petrol 1.8 will be almost as economical as the diesel (40+mpg on a run) and although no ball of fire is quite acceptable for a large car, unless you like the driving characteristics of the diesel. Petrol is chain cam, 2.0 diesel is belt, so the maintenance costs of the petrol are lower too. EGR valves on diesels can get gummed up, but easy to clean. DMF is likely to go much earlier on diesels too.

I would avoid the 2.2 diesel, there were a lot of head gasket issues with this engine on the earlier shape models, I don't know if this has been sorted on the late shape.

The main thing is to find a good example, which should be easier on this model as they tend to be bought by sensible types who are more likely to keep to the servicing regime.

@corax Great advice thanks

Toyota Avensis - Buying an older higher mileage Toyota - SLO76
The Avensis is a good choice, well made long lived and they tend to be well looked after, usually bought by people looking for reliability though some older cars are bought as work hacks and run into the ground. You should be above this point here.

The 2008 model is right at the start of troublesome DPF fitment so may or may not have one. Look under the bonnet if the lettering on the engine cover is black - no dpf if its green it has dpf. Think the DPF equipped engines are badged dcat if memory serves. The 2.0 D4D engine is otherwise pretty robust but remember it requires a timing belt, water pump and tensioners every 6yrs or 60k so price it into your bid if it needs done. As with any turbocharged car buy only if it has a full service history with oil and filter changes EVERY year. Avoid the 2.2 diesel which strangely has a poor reputation.

The bonus from buying the later 2011 model is that it has a timing chain instead of a belt and along with lower road tax it is also more economical. Added bonus on financing it is that most banks lend above £7.5k at much lower rates too, some as low as 2.9% APR. So owning the newer car won't be as dear as you might think. It will definitely have a DPF though so you'd need to be doing enough distance driving to allow it to regularly regenerate but otherwise they're pretty tough.

Be aware though that post 2015 Avensis diesels use a BMW engine which I highly doubt will be anything like as reliable in the long run.
Toyota Avensis - Buying an older higher mileage Toyota - Auristocrat

There is a head gasket/oil consumption issue that affected a small number of the AD series diesel engines which affect the Avensis built between April 2005 and February 2009.

Toyota covered the issue on a case by case basis for a period of 7 years/111,846 miles, whichever occurred first, from the date of first registration. The remedy was fitting a modified 3/4 engine.

This affected both the 2.0 and 2.2 litre diesels. The vast majority of cars should now be outside the cover period.

A Toyota dealer should be able to check whether a car has had a replacement engine.

The relevant owners club will have more details.

Toyota Avensis - Buying an older higher mileage Toyota - colinh

Worth checking the government recalls website and try to get reassure that all the relevant ones for your chosen car have been carried out. Toyota seem to have more than their fair share - maybe they are more diligent than others?

Toyota Avensis - Buying an older higher mileage Toyota - Sam49

I've got one of these - 2007 1.8 petrol estate, 105k. I've had it 4 years.

I was doing about 16k a year in it until earlier in the year when we got an S Max and it got re-deployed as a second car. We could trade it in for something smaller but to be honest it's a great car and cheap to run so there's no point until it completely conks out - when that happens is anyone's guess.

I would recommend them. Our one has perfomed great over the years as a family wagon, it's pretty economical considering its size, there's loads of space for clobber (kids/ watersports) and performance isn't bad considering there's no turbo- it can sit comfortably in the outside lane of the motorway and you can wring some decent power out of it through the gears (if that's your thing).

It's been reliable and the interior quality is impressive (have to say, way better than the S Max) - it seems built to withstand a nuclear winter, let alone toddlers. Also they're not such a common sight on the roads and personally I think they look smart - T3-X/ TR models are finished nicely.

My advice would be go for a post 56 plate, which was a facelift with some improvements. Easiest way to tell is indicators in the door mirrors. I've had a recall letter from Toyota about the passenger airbag, I think it affects a number of Toyota models and I suppose they'll get round to it in due course.

In contrast to others on this site, I've found my local Toyota dealer to be useless so I take it my local independent garage!

Hope this helps!

Toyota Avensis - Buying an older higher mileage Toyota - Sulphur Man

A 1.8 Multidrive Avensis Estate will probably be my next (used) car - hear nothing but good things about them. That depends on when the FR-V 1.8 auto starts getting expensive, which feels years away at present. Gotta love petrol Japanese cars - the genuinely wallet-friendly choice

Toyota Avensis - Buying an older higher mileage Toyota - V4 Heaven

Although an earlier model, my 1997 Toyota Carina E, 1.8 petrol, is coming up to 230,000 miles and is still on the original clutch. The only thing that doesn't work now is the air con and it's not worth having this fixed. For the larger part of last year it was doing a 500 mile a week commute and gave me some of the best mpg figures I've ever had in 15 years of ownership - a consistent 45-48 mpg on motorways at 75mph and legal speeds on A roads.

It's now in retirement as a job change has necessitated a dailiy 7 mile commute from hell (6 mph average sometimes). It's handling this admirably but it/I would rather be out enjoying long winding roads rather than being stuck in traffic!

Ye maybe I will consider the petrol option. After all they are even cheaper to buy.

I wonder how many of the diesels were actually affected. There is no mention of it on any auto review websites they are hailed as being super reliable. It's like I know someone with 2.0 TDI pd vag engine who has had no trouble at all with it. Still it would be sods law I would end up with one! I guess unless there's paper work to say it has been sorted out could be a ticking time bomb. The seems to be more reference to the 2.2 d4d engine having problems however I have seen some reference on the forums to the 2.0 as well? Does anyone know if it definitely affected the 2.0 d4d as well?

I guess the thing is there are 1000's of cars out there but when reading the forum's it seems like everyone is having problems with it. Still it would be a lottery to get one.

Toyota Avensis - Buying an older higher mileage Toyota - Sam49

I was thinking the same when I bought mine - there was a petrol and a diesel I was looking at.

In the end, having sifted through the Toyota forums (it does appear to affect 2.0 D4D as well), I opted for the overall reliability of the petrol versus the, admittedly appealing, grunt of a diesel. There was just that *potential* of a major cost that could come out of the blue. And with a lowish budget plus a new family and stuff, it was a concern I could do without.

Plus the petrol was a better spec and had the massive central armrest - Dealbreaker!

Toyota Avensis - Buying an older higher mileage Toyota - SLO76
Petrol is definitely the safe option. The 1.8 is decent on fuel and fairly refined but lacks midrange performance so you'll have to plan a little further ahead for overtaking. Not much to watch out for on these aside from some VVT engines using a bit of oil but keep an eye on it and top it up if it does and all is well.