spare wheels!! - concrete

I think there has been discussion on previous threads about this subject, but here goes. The new vehicle I have ordered comes with a tyre inflator kit instead of a spare wheel. The option is a spare wheel and jack for £150, which seems reasonable enough. I have no experience of the inflator kits, and frankly they sound pretty 'heath robinson' and a convenient get out by manufacturers not to supply or accommodate spare wheels within the vehicle. I have used my spare only once in the past 12 years, but at least you know you can get home or to a repair garage. Any comments and experiences would be welcome.

Cheers Concrete

spare wheels!! - John Boy

This topic was so recent that I found it fairly easily:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=116629

As far as I'm concerned, the posts by Avant and Smileyman (1 each) clinch the issue.

spare wheels!! - daveyjp
I have never had a puncture and thought 'what a convenient time for that to happen'!
spare wheels!! - gordonbennet

If the spare (or one of the fitted wheels) from you're present Superb is compatible, is that not an option together with the jack and toolkit?

You could always paint the wheel yellow and stick a 50mph label on it.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/01/2017 at 20:51

spare wheels!! - Smileyman

I'd suggest seeing what is available on online auction sites before ordering brand new wheels ..... some years ago I purchased a set of 4 alloys wheels from a breakers yard - I put my own tyres on them, much cheaper than a new wheel! Also, if your old car is scrapped why not keep the jack and tools? Perhaps (unless it fits the new car) the spare could even be sold on .....

Edited by Smileyman on 27/01/2017 at 00:09

spare wheels!! - skidpan

I have bought 2 full sized steel wheels complete with tyres for my Leon and the Wifes Note from My Tyres website. They were about £70 complete ready to use. I only specifed the cheapest non-directional tyre as hopefully it will never be used. Even if it is the max would be a limited time while the propper wheel is sorted.

Add a Jack and wheelbrace and you are sorted.

Thank you chaps, I did think about a wheel from the Superb. Although I would probably have to fit a new tyre with a 65 profile instead of my 45 profile to have the same circumference, so there is £90. I need to go to the dealers and check the wheel nut spacings to see if they are compatible. The website and scrap yard options are good ideas too. I did think though that £150 for an original dealer supplied wheel and jack was not bad. At least then I know the jack will fit the mounting points and be large enough to use considering the ground clearance is quite a bit higher that my Superb. I have a few weeks to do my homework. It does seem that no one has a good word for the tyre inflator kits.

Cheers Concrete

spare wheels!! - oldgit

My Sister's Hyundai i10 SE 2014 came without a spare wheel. Her car has steel wheels all round rather than Alloys. We were quoted, from Hyundai, £263 for a spare wheel and toolkit but that did NOT include a tyre! Last week I went onto mytyres.co.uk and speccd a steel wheel and a Falken tyres for a total of ca £85. I sourced a good scissor jack and telescopic wheelbrace from ebay for a total of £15.

Problem solved with quick delivery from Germany, by DPD.

spare wheels!! - Bolt

It does seem that no one has a good word for the tyre inflator kits.

I dont know of anyone who would use one, I`m used to a spare and when I went from 8th gen civic to 9th I transfered the spacesaver over to it, Honda said they had the same wheels

we didnt get a spacesaver for the Jazz either so bought one with jack from Cox Honda for £120 and threw the gunk away

I`m told the new Civic will have a spare owing to public not liking being without!

I think a lot of people have complained to OEM`s about not having a spare,maybe they are listening at last?

spare wheels!! - Avant

What new car are you getting, Concrete? Apologies if you havwe told us somewhere else and I've missed.it. It sounds as if the Superb will be a hard act to follow.

What new car are you getting, Concrete? Apologies if you havwe told us somewhere else and I've missed.it. It sounds as if the Superb will be a hard act to follow.

I am not sure if I did actually say which vehicle I have chosen. I am waiting for a new Volvo XC60 Geartronic. A good caravan tugger and all round very nice vehicle to drive. Especially as SWMBO and I are not getting any more agile in old age and the access and egress of the Volvo is easier than a saloon car. I am looking forward to it now, although the Superb has been just that! Nearly 12 years of sterling service. Looking at the Volvo it seems as if the configuration of the wheel studs/nut is the same as the Superb. i.e. 65mm from hole to hole around the hub and 100mm across the hub so I might just keep a wheel from the Superb. The Superb has 17" wheel too but with 45 profile tyres, the Volvo has 17" wheels and 65 profile tyres so I guess I may have to have a larger profile tyre fitted to achieve the same diameter. Probably get a fairly inexpensive tyre for use as a spare.

The autobox is a torque converter which is what swung it for selecting the auto option.

Cheers Concrete

spare wheels!! - Avant

"The autobox is a torque converter which is what swung it for selecting the auto option."

Yes, that was one reason why (wanting an auto) I went for the V60 over a fourth Octavia. This one may have to last a long time.

A space-saver for the V60 was a £125 option, so if a Skoda wheel and tyre don't fit, it won't be a disaster. I imagine it's the same for the XC60, which we looked at briefly.

spare wheels!! - gordonbennet
I am waiting for a new Volvo XC60 Geartronic.

Doh, why did i imagine you were buying another Superb, it's official losing the plot fast.

spare wheels!! - Big John

I'd specify the spare wheel as an option. To buy the prpoper kit afterwards is usually more expensive. When I bought my nearly new Superb II I was pleased to see it came with a full sized spare wheel.

I have had very few punctures but tha last one I had wouldn't have been fixed with an inflator/sealant kit

Edited by Big John on 27/01/2017 at 21:14

spare wheels!! - NARU

I've had two punctures in the last year or so.

One was a major gash in a big all terrain tyre. Definately not repairable with a sealant - the tyre was a write off. If I hadn't had a jack and spare wheel I'd have been stranded.

The other was a nail in my nearly-new tyre on my MX-5. It was a very slow leak, so I used the pump, but not the sealant, and got myself to a tyre repair shop.

I changed my 4x4 last year, and keep a watch on eBay. I managed to pick up an additional wheel, with a matching tyre for less than an extra tyre would be. I now have two spares. I swap the two fronts for my two spares now and again, and am hoping all six wear out at about the same time.

Edited by Marlot on 28/01/2017 at 07:38

spare wheels!! - RafflesNH

"I have no experience of the inflator kits, and frankly they sound pretty 'heath robinson' and a convenient get out by manufacturers not to supply or accommodate spare wheels within the vehicle."

I think it may have more to do with keeping weight down and thereby lowering emissions and fuel consumption rates. A little extra profit wouldn't go amiss either, I expect! ;-)

spare wheels!! - Avant

You're right, Raffles - that's exactly why they do it. But as weight and emissions are measured on the standard car, a civilised manufacturer will offer at least a space-saver as a cheap option - and of course allow space for the wheel and tyre in the design.

It's manufacturers that don't even allow the space that we should avoid.

spare wheels!! - hillman

Thu 26 Jan 2017 20:46 spare wheels!! - daveyjp I have never had a puncture and thought 'what a convenient time for that to happen'!

I've found that punctures are like buses; you wait ages and then three come along together. The worst one I had recently was a slow leak via the plug in a previously repaired tyre. The repairer said that they would quickly fix that until I showed him where somebody had tried to stab the wall of the tyre. The stab wound, although not through, was enough to make the tyre unservicable.

You're right, Raffles - that's exactly why they do it. But as weight and emissions are measured on the standard car, a civilised manufacturer will offer at least a space-saver as a cheap option - and of course allow space for the wheel and tyre in the design.

It's manufacturers that don't even allow the space that we should avoid.

Just remember if you do put the spare tyre onto the car you will need a space to store the (hopefully not too dirty & wet) punctured tyre ..... if the space allocated is only large enough for a space saver then the damaged tyre will have to go into the boot, or passenger cabin. OK if you are alone, but if the car is full with passengers / luggage or both - help!

Just remember if you do put the spare tyre onto the car you will need a space to store the (hopefully not too dirty & wet) punctured tyre ..... if the space allocated is only large enough for a space saver then the damaged tyre will have to go into the boot, or passenger cabin. OK if you are alone, but if the car is full with passengers / luggage or both - help!

Indeed. Just before I ditched my runflats, I researched the various alternative flat tyre solutions suitable for my car (BMW 3 series Touring) and eventually plumped for an OEM space saver wheel/tyre kit, which also thoughtfully comes with a large bag to cover the inevitably dirty, if not wet, punctured tyre.

Unfortunately, my 3 series variant does not have the space under the boot floor to house a wheel, space saver or otherwise! So if I'm on one of my annual countryside tours, I may well have to drop one of the rear seat backs down to allow the luggage to overflow into the cabin, so to speak.

However, I'd far rather put up with that relatively minor inconvenience whilst enjoying the peace of mind having a 'proper' spare tyre will bring. Fingers x'd.

Unfortunately, my 3 series variant does not have the space under the boot floor to house a wheel, space saver or otherwise! So if I'm on one of my annual countryside tours, I may well have to drop one of the rear seat backs down to allow the luggage to overflow into the cabin, so to speak.

I am weary about leaving anything on display in a parked car ... my understanding (may be wrong) is that anything not secured out of sight in a locked boot is not covered by car insurance for theft - certainly it is an invitation for someone to break in and steal the item.

I am weary about leaving anything on display in a parked car ... my understanding (may be wrong) is that anything not secured out of sight in a locked boot is not covered by car insurance for theft - certainly it is an invitation for someone to break in and steal the item.

I have privacy glass which helps discourage prying eyes, and always carry a large rug which I throw over any items on the back seat that I can't fit in the boot.

But you are right in that I am always conscious of not leaving valuables on display when my car is unattended.