Honda CRV 2.2CDTI - Honda CRV choices .. Which should I buy please? - Simmo1111

I'm looking to purchase a Honda CRV and I've opted for a 2.2CDTI as it has no DPF filter fitted and my mileage consists of short trips for most of the time.

There are 2 on Autotrader which aren't too far away from me and am interested in going to see both.

My options are:

1) www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2016110594...2

or 2) www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/2017010309...1

The second one has higher mileage but has a full Honda service history and no towbar fitted.

My thoughts are that the second one would be the better option but the low mileage on the first does seem attractive too.

Any thoughts/advice would be very welcome.

Ta.

Honda CRV 2.2CDTI - Honda CRV choices .. Which should I buy please? - RobJP

Hard to say. The second one has had, as it points out, annual servicing at a Honda dealership, the first one has 'full service history'.

My thoughts are that the second one 'reads' as a better car.

Honda CRV 2.2CDTI - Honda CRV choices .. Which should I buy please? - gordonbennet

The second car might well have ''18" Alloy Wheels (Unmarked),'' but zooming in on the pic of the one (best?) wheel shows three at least chips at 2 o'clock, so far as i'm concerned the rest of the well written ad should be taken with a pinch of salt.

A quick peruse eBay 311783408108 shows what is one of my criteria of well looked after cars, close up of the wheel shows a reassuringly expensive Conti fitted, now that could be just the one Conti pictured (though it looks like a matching set to me and they weren't £45 each), or it could be a clue to previous ownership not being short of a few quid, which to me is always a good sign.

Not recommending this car in particular, one lady owner may or may not be a good thing, just an example.

A good set of decent quality tyres is not essential but tyres, wheels and the visible brakes through the wheels are the very first things i look at before even bothering speaking to anyone, if people can't be bothered with those arguably the most important parts of a car what about the bits you can't see.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/01/2017 at 13:34

Honda CRV 2.2CDTI - Honda CRV choices .. Which one looks the better option please? - Simmo1111

Sorry, the title of the original post may be a bit misleading and I'm not sure how to edit it. I was more looking for opinions as regards which car looked the better option as opposed to someone telling me which car I should actually go out and buy.

Honda CRV 2.2CDTI - Honda CRV choices .. Which one looks the better option please? - concrete

Sorry, the title of the original post may be a bit misleading and I'm not sure how to edit it. I was more looking for opinions as regards which car looked the better option as opposed to someone telling me which car I should actually go out and buy.

Isn't that the same thing? A recommendation from one out of two leaves little room for manouvre!!!! Is it me?

Cheers Concrete

Honda CRV 2.2CDTI - Honda CRV choices .. Which one looks the better option please? - Simmo1111

That's fair comment Concrete and you're right.. I was just concerned that people might be reluctant to give any an opinion if they thought that I was going to rush out and buy the car based on their recommendation, find out that it was a 'turkey,' and then me come back here blaming them for it. I was just trying to get some thoughts on the 2 cars compared i.e one has low mileage but has a towbar whereas the other has higher mileage but better service history. Not being used to choosing cars, I posted here to see if anyone could advise accordingly.

Thanks very much.

Honda CRV 2.2CDTI - Honda CRV choices .. Which should I buy please? - SLO76
Based purely on the advert the second car sounds the better of the two. Full dealer history and a normal mileage driven every year compares favourably with a "S/H" that could mean it's been serviced once or twice in eight years by Joe Blogs backstreet dealer and a hugely inflated price that is encroaching on the territory of lower spec petrol newer model which is almost as economical as the previous generation diesel and a whole lot less likely to go wrong in the longterm. Auto Trader #DrivenByMe
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20160705555...7

Edited by SLO76 on 19/01/2017 at 16:37

Honda CRV 2.2CDTI - Honda CRV choices .. Which should I buy please? - grumpyscot

I assume you are aware that not all CRV Diesels are 4 wheel drive............

Honda CRV 2.2CDTI - Honda CRV choices .. Which should I buy please? - SLO76

I assume you are aware that not all CRV Diesels are 4 wheel drive............

All third gen CRV's are 4wd, the later fourth generation was when 2wd became an option on 2.0 petrol and 1.6 DTEC models. Thus the reason why petrol fourth gen cars are almost as economical as diesel third gen and have less to go wrong mechanically.