Skoda Octavia Estate - Advice please - RT

I'd appreciate the benefit of BackRoomer's collective advice - my son has a 2006 Vectra Estate 150 CDTi which needs replacing with another estate of comparable space, petrol this time as his annual mileage has dropped.

He and I are looking at new, or nearly new, and have spookily both independently narrowed the shortlist down to a Skoda Octavia Estate. Being sensible, I've suggested the 1.4 TSi 150 SE but being younger, he's suggesting the 2.0 TSi 220 vRS version despite the higher costs for purchase, insurance and fuel.

All your comments, constructive or otherwise, would be appreciated.

Skoda Octavia Estate - Advice please - Falkirk Bairn

New Octavia due soon - bargains in old models or buying the new model?

Skoda Octavia Estate - Advice please - focussed

1 - You're only young once.

2 - If you encourage him to have the lower-powered one, he'll thrash it to death to prove you were wrong.

3 - There is no replacement for displacement.

Edited by focussed on 15/01/2017 at 17:02

Skoda Octavia Estate - Advice please - skidpan

The 1.4 TSi is a brilliant engine and in the real world you need no more grunt. Had a 140 PS version in a Leon for 3 1/2 years and currently have a Skoda Superb on order fitted with the 15 PS version. I did not feel the need to try other engine types whan any eatra poke they may have is totally unnecessary.

1 - You're only young once.

Along with huge insurance premiums on higher risk cars

2 - If you encourage him to have the lower-powered one, he'll thrash it to death to prove you were wrong

No need to thrash the 1.4 TSI, keep it between 1500 and 4000 rpm and it flies, thats hardly going to trash it

3 - There is no replacement for displacement

We now live in the 21st century and small engine have turbos making then both powerful and efficient

Try both for yourselves but make sure its a good long test drive. We have tried 3 Octavia estates now and all have been rejected for the same reason, painful amounts of road noise. We tried another one in November hoping things had improved but they hadn't, still unbearable.

The Octavia Estate would be the perfect car for us in most respects but we ordered the Superb because it does everything at least as well with no road noise. The Superb would not have been considered at the old house, it would not have fitted in the garage, it does at the new one

Skoda Octavia Estate - Advice please - SLO76
Both nice cars but as mentioned there's a heavily updated Octavia due in January 17 so make sure you shop around for the best deal you can find then approach your nearest dealer to offer them the chance to match it, most will even if they're making next to nothing in order to gain numbers.

The Vectra is next to worthless as a trade in anyway so you're better selling it privately and negotiating with no trade in anyway...

Thanks for all the input so far, as ever up to BR's usual high standard.

2016 or 2017 facelift depends on the deal - internet broker are asking less for factory order than dealers' asking prices for 1-year old models - wityh obviously better residual.

1)- I can't disagree - he works for a car insurance broker so has already done the figures on that.

2)- He'll abuse and thrash it whatever he buys

3)- There's no substitute for torque

Thanks for the heads-up on noise levels, his Vectra has been reasonably quiet - he might just decide to turn the stereo up louder but we'll check out the Superb while we're looking - it's bigger than he needs.

There'll be no trade-in for the Vectra, it'll be be best offers on ebay, and very hard negotiation on the new car's price

Skoda Octavia Estate - Advice please - concrete

As per a previous thread: I have been looking closely at various deals for various makes and models with a view to Buy/PCP/ Lease. At present the deals available on the Octavia range are excellent, no matter what method of aquisition you choose. A new model may be due, but the existing model is a tried and trusted vehicle and should be bought with confidence. In your sons' position I think a Skoda run out model would fill the bill nicely. Best of luck with your choice. Cheers Concrete

Skoda Octavia Estate - Advice please - skidpan

3)- There's no substitute for torque

Very true but do not discount the 1.4 TSi out of hand just because (inevitably) it has less than the 2.0 TSi. The 1.4 TSi has 184 ft/lbs which a few short years ago was the preserve of large uneconomical petrol engines. Out first 1.9 TDi only had 148 ft/lbs. My last 1800 petrol only had 112 lbs/ft at 4200 rpm.

The power band of a good modern turbo petrol is so much wider than that of a similarly powerful diesel (such as your Vectra) that the apparant loss of torque is not totally relevant. In diesels it tends to be delivered in large spade fulls in short bursts wheras in the 1.4 TSi it comes in smoothly at 1500 stays until 3500 and even by 5000 had not fallen off dramatcally, probably still in the 155 ft/lbs area.

After driving turbo diesels for almost 20 years I was not convinced until I tried the Leon 1.4 TSi. After 10 minutes at the wheel on good A roads I was totally convinced, a drive back trough town put the decision beyond doubt, I was having one. Now the 2nd 1.4 TSi is on order.

very hard negotiation on the new car's price

No need to negoiate hard. We got out Superb via Carfile, just like we did the Leon. There are possibly slightly better broker deals out there if you search but they may be risky. Carfile are 100% above board and their Skoda dealer was happy to accomodate my specific requirements and confirmed them in writing.

Edited by skidpan on 16/01/2017 at 11:03

Skoda Octavia Estate - Advice please - concrete

I agree with your comments skidpan, regarding the new petrol vehicles. After many years of turbo diesels myself, I was quite surprised when I test drove a 1.5 turbo petrol last week. Very pokey and I didn't really have to work the revs too hard to maintain progress. However I do tug a caravan and I still prefer a diesel for that job although the Caravan Club have good reports on some petrol models. The Leon is a really nice looking car too although I have not driven one it would be on my list for a smaller vehicle with a petrol engine.

Cheers Concrete

Skoda Octavia Estate - Advice please - Avant

Either engine will give him great satisfaction: he'll just need to try both and see whether he wants the extra zing that the 2.0 vRS will give him. The zing is there all right, although I completely agree with Skidpan that the 1.4 does a great job, even in a big car like the Octavia or Superb.

I had three vRS estates (diesel manual, petrol DSG and petrol manual), and the petrol manual was far the most fun. I like to get a move on, although I don't 'thrash and abuse' my cars! (Actually, RT, if he's keeping a 10-y-o Vauxhall going, he can't be that bad a driver).

If he can afford the extra cost and insurance (fuel consumption won't be a great deal worse) then I'd say the vRS every time. But if he finds the 1.4 fulfils his needs, then I'm sure he won't be disappointed.

Either engine will give him great satisfaction: he'll just need to try both and see whether he wants the extra zing that the 2.0 vRS will give him. The zing is there all right, although I completely agree with Skidpan that the 1.4 does a great job, even in a big car like the Octavia or Superb.

I had three vRS estates (diesel manual, petrol DSG and petrol manual), and the petrol manual was far the most fun. I like to get a move on, although I don't 'thrash and abuse' my cars! (Actually, RT, if he's keeping a 10-y-o Vauxhall going, he can't be that bad a driver).

If he can afford the extra cost and insurance (fuel consumption won't be a great deal worse) then I'd say the vRS every time. But if he finds the 1.4 fulfils his needs, then I'm sure he won't be disappointed.

I'll pass your compliment on - he doesn't get any from me on car care!

I suspect his decision will come down to need vs want.

Skoda Octavia Estate - Advice please - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I spend my time on the Briskoda site nowadays so not been posting much here since my retirement..

I have recently gone for a manual 1.4TSI Combi SE 150 bhp after a 2l diesel PDI..

All the performance I need and the only omission for me is cruise control- but I have managed long trips OK without it.The standard equipment level is very extensive.DAB rdio and climate control were unexpected.

Wheelspinning performance in second gear all the way up to 60mph should you wish.

Normally I drive more gently .46mpg overall so far and 50mpg on motorways not exceeding 70mph. The basic rear suspension gives the odd wriggle on deformed road surfaces but the car drives well otherwise.