Mini One 5 door hatch 1.2 automatic - USED CAR ADVICE - richard71

Hi, am new to the forum but believe there are some superb experts here always looking to help someone out.

Apologies if I'm posting the question in the wrong section - please let me know where I need to go if so.

Need advice on a used Mini I am potentially looking to buy privately in three months time. Just after a ball park valuation based on it being in excellent condition, with balance of a 5 year service pack remaining and the following spec. Appreciate I'm not posting pictures to help but it is immaculate and well looked after.

All help really appreciated - just need an indication. i.e. £12,000 - £12,500 today plus following 2 questions;

- approx further £ monthly depreciation based on todays price (if I buy it in say 3 months time)

- approx further £ deduction per 1,000 variance to 10,000 miles estimate below

Mini One 5 door hatch 1.2, petrol

• Registered Feb 2015 but 64 numberplate
  • c. 10,000 miles
  • Purchase price new £19k
  • Blazing Red, cloth firework carbon black/carbon/black

Options (c. £4,400)

• Automatic gearbox
  • MINI navigation system
  • MINI connected
  • Visual boost radio
  • Front seat heating
  • Front centre armrest
  • Rear view mirror, auto-dimming
  • Mirror caps in body colour
  • Heated front windscreen
  • Chrome line exterior
  • Model designation deletion
  • Pepper pack (sport steering wheel, 15" Heli spoke wheels in silver, velour floor mats, passenger seat height adjustment, storage compartment pack, MINI excitement pack, rain sensor with auto headlight activation, automatic air conditioning, interior lights pack)
  • Park assist package (front & rear PDC, park assist)

Thank you

Mini One 5 door hatch 1.2 automatic - USED CAR ADVICE - skidpan

Crystal ball broken. Sorry

Mini One 5 door hatch 1.2 automatic - USED CAR ADVICE - catsdad

Richard, welcome to the forum.

Its hard to advise without knowing how much you already know about cars and MINIs in particular but here goes!

Although its quite new, has it had an annual oil change? Despite the low mileage, if its never had a change, that is a minus point.

Options generally depreciate much more quickly than the price of the base car. So only factor those that are important to you into your assessment of the car.

As for depreciation its worth looking in Autotrader and similar sites to see what prices are being asked for MINIs of this spec at the future age and mileage you expect to sell. So if you exect to sell this 2015 car in three years time, see what 2013/4 models are advertised at now. Actual prices will of course be lower.

As to actual real depreciation in future, who knows? If the £ continues to fall, depreciation might be lower. Or if the economy goes belly up the car market might crash. All that you can say is that MINIs historically are low depreciators.

Edited by catsdad on 12/01/2017 at 21:02

Mini One 5 door hatch 1.2 automatic - USED CAR ADVICE - scot22

May I echo catsdad's welcome. I am not one of the experts but since joining the forum have increased my knowledge.

I use the Parkers website which gives a free valuation and also offers, for a small fee, one which takes into account mileage and factory fitted options (as you have listed)

I assume it is someone you know reasonably well, is it possible to dicuss the price with the seller ? Hope you've found a good buy.

Mini One 5 door hatch 1.2 automatic - USED CAR ADVICE - Avant

Make sure this is the Mini you want: a Mini One is quite a bit slower than a Mini Cooper but you'd need a test drive to find out if the performance is good enough for your needs. Are you sure you want the automatic - which makes it even slower?

I'm no expert on price, although it sounds expensive for a two-year-old Mini One. You can surely get a discount on a brand new one bringing it down to about £13,000. The extras don't normally add much to a used car's value, but the seller here looks to be trying to get something back.

It may well not have had a service yet, as the Mini schedule is only for one every two years unless mileage is high.

Have a look at the cars for sale on this site (click in the link at the top of the page) and on other sites and see what the typical price for this age of Mini One is.

Mini One 5 door hatch 1.2 automatic - USED CAR ADVICE - Falkirk Bairn

Any basic car loaded with expensive options is normally a BAD buy when new, and not a good investment either buying or leasing.

Leasing companies have various formulae to determine the GMFV of the car in 3 years, say. The fancy calcualtion takes their buy price, adds money on for interest, adds their profit % & then the crystal ball figure of the car value in 3 years time is subtracted.

Say it is £200 per month over 3 years. The options ££value added are divided by 36 and added to the monthly figure i.e. there is very little OR no value in the options - in their view it might make the car easier to sell & probably worth some extra to them BUT it is the Basic car value that determines the GMFV!

Premium Brand saloon cars, top of the range sports cars will have options that add value - Leather seats on a MB, autobox on a sports car, but say a premium exhaust costing £3000 on a BMW M3 could either be a +/- addition.

Mini One 5 door hatch 1.2 automatic - USED CAR ADVICE - veloceman
Have a look on autotrader.
You can get the more desirable and quicker Cooper (not auto tho') for £1,500 less. May not quite have the spec but the basic trim will be of a higher quality it also will depreciate less.
Mini One 5 door hatch 1.2 automatic - USED CAR ADVICE - brum

I plugged this spec into carfile.net and it costs NEW £16900 now. Other brokers carwow etc are even cheaper, 2 years ago, in Feb (good time for discounts) the price you could haggle would have been less. It could jave been a stock or demonstrator in whoch case the price may have been £1000 cheaper.

Options add almost nothing to used car values in this price range.

The car almost certainly will have not yet been serviced. 2 year servicing from my experience and disvussed at length elsewjhere on this forum is a timebomb for fiture owners. Take a look at HJs car reviews whats good/bad.

In short, your friend is screwing you for top dollar.

Edited by brum on 13/01/2017 at 14:01

Mini One 5 door hatch 1.2 automatic - USED CAR ADVICE - Avant

That's a little unfair to Richard's friend / seller, as he says it's a Feb 15 model which would indeed be a 64 plate. But I agree there are better value Minis out there than this one.

Mini One 5 door hatch 1.2 automatic - USED CAR ADVICE - brum

Why is it that theres never enough time to edit a post??

I was just going to remove my overly harsh last sentence, about friend screwing for top dollar, but was blocked by an over eager Avant!

Edited by brum on 13/01/2017 at 14:10

Mini One 5 door hatch 1.2 automatic - USED CAR ADVICE - richard71

thanks everyone for your help - we've not agreed a price, the reality is that we are both looking to see what it might be worth so we agree a fair price.

I reckon it's along £9,750 - £10,500 inclusive of all the extras it comes with and it's done 6.3k miles only.

When we both initially spoke, neither of us were in the know and we said probably between £12,500 - £14,500 but that we could both be hugely out so would look to get a professional valuation done on it to agree a private sale price. That way everyone is happy.

How would we go about getting a private sale price from a professional? Mini dealers are not interested, What Car states c. £9,500 so I added on a little more to accont for the Sat Nav and Reverse Parking.

Mini One 5 door hatch 1.2 automatic - USED CAR ADVICE - scot22

Glass's guide or Parkers. The prices given are decided by professionals (their job) and a price is simply what someone (anyone) is willing to pay. Any single professional can be wrong - met a few of them.

Mini One 5 door hatch 1.2 automatic - USED CAR ADVICE - veloceman
Put the reg' no' into We Buy Any Car website. This will give you a guaranteed purchase price. In my experience this is also a fairly accurate trade price. Up to you how much you offer your friend over that - you both win.