Toyota Prius - Real MPG - Knobby

Gen 4 Fuel consumption.

I have had four Toyota Hybrids over the past 12 years and this Gen 4 is the best yet. However real MPG depends very much on the tyres (wheel size), climate, and the type of jouney. This car is new on 15" Toyo tyres and it is winter. A 27 mile round trip -2 outside temp gave 61.9 mpg. Next day 225 miles fast Motorway mixed with short cross country 57.2 mpg. The long trip route I have done at Christmas in a Gen2 prius 15" wheels a Gen3 Prius 15" and an Auris TS Hybrid 17" wheels over many years. This is 10 mpg better than the Gen 2 and AurisTS and 5 better than the Gen 3.

When I test drove the Gen 4 I could not find a dealer with a car on 15" wheels. I test drove 4 cars and one was noticably quieter than the others. I personally find the drive fabulous on 15" wheels, not that it was not good on 17". My Auris TS Excel on 17" was also good but I had a loned Auris hatch on 17" while waiting for my Prius and it was very noisy, thirsty and not to my liking at all.

While I am sure there are plenty of diesels that could do long quick trips at simular economy but I doubt they are Automatics and a relaxing to drive.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - skidpan

If the figures you quote are taken from the dash dispay I suggest you do several tank - tank fill ups and check its accuaracy.

Most overstate the MPG, in fact the only car we have owned where the dash understaed the MPG was a Kia Ceed, it was about 2mpg below the calculated.

A work colleague had a new Auris Hybrid and for weeks he boasted about seeing 72 mpg on his regular trip. After some discussion it trurned out he was cruising at abut 55 mph everywhere, bet he was popular. But when he eventually did a couple of tank - tank fill ups he found in reality it was only doing low to mid 50's he was less than delighted especially when others with Volvo diesel estates and BMW diesels were getting better MPG figures.

When I went on a trip with him in the car I found it very noisy and the gearbox/engine were probably the greatest culprit. The revs were never stable at the slightest gradient sent the revs soaring.

Hybrids are not my cup of tea until perhaps someone realises buyers may just prefer a manual. They might be more economical as well.

I get 45 mpg out of my non - hybrid Seat Leon 1.4 TSi. Its much faster than any Toyota Hybrid and not that much less economical in normal use. Considering you can buy one for about £4000 less than a similarly kitted out Auris it makes the Leon a clear winner in my eyes. I would need to do 150,000 miles or more to break even and have to live all that time with a noisy slower car.

Edited by skidpan on 08/01/2017 at 15:01

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - Engineer Andy

I'll be interested to see now the new Hyundai Ioniq in 15in rim form does (note that KIA Niro only comes with 16in or 18in rims and emits high CO2/worse mpg), particularly as the downside generally for both cars is the low speed ride, similar to the apparent issue on all other hybrids such as the Prius.

I wonder if the decision to go for higher profile 15in rims/tyres will prove a good one - it might tempt me if their dual clutch system proves reliable and usable (not many have yet), given the CVT transmissions used in Toyotas and Hondas appear to not be well regarded, just tollerated by owners. No 'drivers cars' yet amongst the affordable end of the market with at least some decent low speed comfort. Still perhaps a way to go before they replace full-on petrol/diesel vehicles.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - glowplug

I found my Prius (1.5) to give excellent fuel economy whilst being relaxing to drive. It should be noted that they are less polluting from the exhaust than diesels. This seems to be a factor so many diesel car drivers forget. Yes I owned a diesel too.

As for the CVT type transmission it's a great way to get the best out of their setup, 2 electric motor/generators and a Atkinson cycle engine. I found it easy enough to live with, just let the car get on with it, don't fight it go with it. If you use a Scangauge and learn how the car works you can get some great MPG with a little effort. But then that's true of 'normal' cars too.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - RobJP

It should be noted that they are less polluting from the exhaust than diesels.

That's the typical sanctimonious nonsense regularly heard from Pious ... sorry, I mean Prius drivers.

Just where exactly do you think the electricity comes from that you charge the car up with, unicorn f***s ?

I suggest you go and have a look at a power station. Just because the pollution isn't coming out of your exhaust pipe, doesn't mean you aren't creating it.

At 70 mph on the motorway any Pius (or Auris hybrid for that matter) pumps out just as much polution as any other 1800cc petrol engined car.

In truth I would wager that my 1.4 Leon TSi polutes less at 70mph.

The only time the Pius polutes less is when its running on electricery and stange as it might seem that has to be produced in the main by nuclear or fossil fuel power stations.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - nortones2
No Auris has the facility to charge from the mains. Some Prius models do, but the emissions are remote from the streets, and probably better controlled than the shambolic car situation where the MoT doesn't measure NOx or particulates.
Toyota Prius - Real MPG - Bolt

I think they are worst for polution, as the drivers tend to drive slower than speed limit holding up drivers trying to get to the limit, as for taxi drivers with prius dawdling along they are a pain

almost as annoying as cyclists,though at least they do move fast

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - Brit_in_Germany

People are slowly starting to realise that there is a particulate problem with direct injection petrol engines. They really should also have a particulate filter, just as diesels do (or should do).

People are slowly starting to realise that there is a particulate problem with direct injection petrol engines. They really should also have a particulate filter, just as diesels do (or should do).

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/volkswagen-group-fit-particulate-filters-all-petrol-engines-2017

Funny you should say that!

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - AD251

At 70 mph on the motorway any Pius (or Auris hybrid for that matter) pumps out just as much polution as any other 1800cc petrol engined car.

In truth I would wager that my 1.4 Leon TSi polutes less at 70mph.

The only time the Pius polutes less is when its running on electricery and stange as it might seem that has to be produced in the main by nuclear or fossil fuel power stations.

In a 2.5 RAV4 hybrid I have achieved over 50mpg on a long-run (majoroty of the trip at 70mph). I don't think in a normal 200bhp petrol SUV would 50+mpg be possible. It was true of the early hybrids that they were not great on the motorway for mpg, but they have improved greatly. Maybe the 2.5 is better suited to motorway work than the 1.8. Even on steep inclines the engine in the RAV4 does not have to work hard (unless you floor it - but there is never any need to).

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - colinh

"Just where exactly do you think the electricity comes from that you charge the car up with, unicorn f***s ?"

You obviously don't know how an hydrid works - the electricity is generated by braking, over--run, etc. - i.e., it's using the electricity that all cars generate, but non-hydrids waste.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - galileo

"Just where exactly do you think the electricity comes from that you charge the car up with, unicorn f***s ?"

You obviously don't know how an hydrid works - the electricity is generated by braking, over--run, etc. - i.e., it's using the electricity that all cars generate, but non-hydrids waste.

What is a hydrid, please?

What is a hydrid, please?

A hybrid is a total con.

Their owners believe they are saving the planet but in reality they are simply living in cloud cockoo land.

All cars polute, end of arguement.

Simply sticking a duracell battery in the boot and a hybrid badge on the back of an 1800 petrol car is not going to save the planet.

Most of the public realise this but some will carry on believing.

Indeed - its the source of the polution that most people worry about, i.e. near to people at street level. In the end, motive power is produced by burning *something*, except for a small proportion of the electricity produced by solar panels and wind/wave power and exported back to the grid.

What some people happily buying full-on electric (as opposed to plug-in or std hybrids) cars may not understand is that of the electricity it consumes, about 70% of it is lost through inefficiencies in the generating and transmission of it from generating source to the socket.

Hopefully as clean generating technologies improve performance/efficiency at converting solar/wind/wave energy into electricty, and similarly battery (or some new equivalent that doesn't require complex manufacturing and lots of nasty chemicals as batteries do) technology, then generating nearby to where you'd charge your electric car would be the most efficient. Using regenerative braking etc to harvest waste energy (which would've ended up as heat or noise [eventually turning into heat also]) is also useful in increasing efficiency in vehicles, whether electric or not.

To be fair to 'green' car owners, as long as most/dceent proportion of your driving (and if you do a reasonable amount of it too) is in jig-jog traffic/towns at slow speeds, then they are less polluting (using electricity generated by burning fossil fuels) than diesels. If you do most of driving out-of town and above 30mph, then they are a waste of time and money as the efficiecy gains compared to petrol/diesel are lost due to the others' increased fuel efficiency at higher speeds and lower weight.

My problem is that (currently) my commute (most of my driving, c. 9k miles pa) is about 12 miles of free-flowing (70mph) dual carriageway and 5 miles or so of variable tarffic - outside the school holidays and on Fridays its mostly slow moving, often jig-jog traffic, otherwise not that bad, with up to another 3k miles p.a. in reasonable traffic on weekends, work trips and holidays to Cornwall.

I'm not really sure if that makes hybrids (of both hues) worthwhile, especially if I moved jobs/careers (not certain either way) at some point whereby I had different/no use for a commuting car - some years whilst working in London I've only done 2k miles! Paying upwards of £20k for a new hybrid, or far higher for a full electric car (not worth it for me due to lack of range, relatively slow charging and no accessible charging facilities at home/work and not many ones out and about either) would be a high risk for me, especially when the cars in question aren't particularly quick, good handling or nice to look at (aside from the Ioniq externally, ok internally) compared to their fossil-fueled competition. I definitely wouldn't consider a second hand one unless it was an ex-demo or pre-reg car.

I'll probably end up chickening out and buying another petrol-engined car, maybe an automatic this time for ease of driving in the slow traffic. Maybe the next one after that, when the technology has really matured...

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - Avant

Many thanks for such a well-argued post, Andy. As so often it's a matter of horses for courses: hybrids make a lot of sense if your driving is almost all in town, but there's very little benefit from them on the open road, either in terms of performance or of economy / pollution.

It'll be interesting to see how the technology 'matures' as no doubt it will. The Audi A3 e-tron and VW Golf GTE are a step forward from the Prius, as the electric motor is mated with the excellent 1.4 TSI engine giving good performance and economy: but at the moment they're much too expensive to buy to give value for money.

Too expensive....don't sell in big numbers....prices don't come down. We'll only see major changes in car buying trends if someone finds a way round this particular circle.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - Andrew-T

We'll only see major changes in car buying trends if someone finds a way round this particular circle.

Wrong metaphor, Avant - the makers are all going round it now. We need to find a way off it, or maybe to square it ... :-)

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - madf

There are MAJOR improvements in methods of electricity storage - mainly capaictors using graphene - which will transform battery technology.. Like increase range from c 100 to 400 miles AND reduce battery weight.

www.graphene-info.com/graphene-supercapacitors

I suspect this debate will have been decided in 10 years time in favour of elctric cars.

There are MAJOR improvements in methods of electricity storage - mainly capaictors using graphene - which will transform battery technology.. Like increase range from c 100 to 400 miles AND reduce battery weight.

I suspect this debate will have been decided in 10 years time in favour of elctric cars.

Sounds great, until you have a bit of a careful read (I'm a scientist, and weasel words are very easily noticed).

For example :

Graphene-based supercapacitors are said to store almost as much energy as lithium-ion batteries, charge and discharge in seconds and maintain all this over tens of thousands of charging cycles

"are said to store almost as much energy as Li-ion batteries" .. Just read that carefully, and then be critical.

Ask yourself if it reads like if it's an advance on Li-ion batteries or not.

Yes, the fast charge / discharge and lack of drop in capacity would be good, but from the critical read of it, they don't store as much energy as Li-ion batteries.

Two words destroy electric cars. Range anxiety.

In a few months, we're off up to Mallaig in the Highlands. It's a 415 mile trip, door to door. I can fill up the (horrible diesel) BMW 5 miles from home, and travel all the way up there. No worries about running out of fuel, or planning stops that last for hours for a recharge, or the charging stations being in use by someone else, or the charging stations being out of use, I just drive. We can stop in Fort William (or elsewhere) to top up the tank, we can stop for a bite to eat and a coffee wherever we want. Even if we didn't stop, I'd still have 100+ miles of range when I get to Mallaig.

Mainstream EVs are great - as long as you never want to go more than 30 miles from home. As soon as you get further away than that, you've got to start stressing and planning charging facilities to get you back home.

Hybrids will destroy EVs. But hybrids are only really economical if, again, they're used on short trips and recharged. Use the petrol engine and they're no cleaner than a 'normal' petrol-engined car - in fact they're worse, because you're lugging around all those batteries !

But whether hybrid or EV, all you're doing is pushing the pollution away from your tailpipe, and out of a power station instead.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - Chickenwire

Sounds great, until you have a bit of a careful read (I'm a scientist, and weasel words are very easily noticed).

For example :

Graphene-based supercapacitors are said to store almost as much energy as lithium-ion batteries, charge and discharge in seconds and maintain all this over tens of thousands of charging cycles

"are said to store almost as much energy as Li-ion batteries" .. Just read that carefully, and then be critical.

Ask yourself if it reads like if it's an advance on Li-ion batteries or not.

Yes, the fast charge / discharge and lack of drop in capacity would be good, but from the critical read of it, they don't store as much energy as Li-ion batteries.

Two words destroy electric cars. Range anxiety.

In a few months, we're off up to Mallaig in the Highlands. It's a 415 mile trip, door to door. I can fill up the (horrible diesel) BMW 5 miles from home, and travel all the way up there. No worries about running out of fuel, or planning stops that last for hours for a recharge, or the charging stations being in use by someone else, or the charging stations being out of use, I just drive. We can stop in Fort William (or elsewhere) to top up the tank, we can stop for a bite to eat and a coffee wherever we want. Even if we didn't stop, I'd still have 100+ miles of range when I get to Mallaig.

Mainstream EVs are great - as long as you never want to go more than 30 miles from home. As soon as you get further away than that, you've got to start stressing and planning charging facilities to get you back home.

Hybrids will destroy EVs. But hybrids are only really economical if, again, they're used on short trips and recharged. Use the petrol engine and they're no cleaner than a 'normal' petrol-engined car - in fact they're worse, because you're lugging around all those batteries !

But whether hybrid or EV, all you're doing is pushing the pollution away from your tailpipe, and out of a power station instead.

Hi Rob, quick question: as a scientist could you advise how much energy (and waste/ pollution created) is spent on refining diesel/ petrol, storage and then transporting it to pump? I would imagine, when using the 'pushing the pollution away' argument, it would only be fair to add whatever pollution is generated by the energy spent in getting the fossil fuel to the ICE in the first place? Happy to be proven wrong, as I'm a lover, not a scientist!

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - Catfood

Not everyone is buying a hybrid in order to save the planet.

I consider the hybrid as an alternative to the existing technology. Why do you have to stick to Petrol/Diesel ? Aren’t they the same technology invented 100 years ago, a piston goes up and down and extract the power from it. I think it’s sometimes important to move on and try new technology if one is allowed to do so.

I wish if I could afford to have a car with hybrid system. I’m bored with driving Turbo Diesel Car. I’m not trying to save the planet. I don’t care about how polluting the car is, nor bother about saving a litre of fuel here and there.

Why do you have to stick to Petrol/Diesel ?

If you had a hybrid you would still be using either, so you may as well stick to what you have!

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - puckdrop

RobJP - how to make yourself look silly in one terrible post.. well done !

Nowhere here does it say that it's a plugin prius - therefore the energy to charge the battery comes ultimately from petrol - through two routes...

1) Taking the excess power for the given EFFICIENCY point of the Hybrid system - ie. running the petrol engine efficiently and bleeding off the excess, rather than inefficiently with a net loss.

2) Taking the energy normally lost to heat and dust through braking, and converting it to electicity to help with acceleration or EV running. Yes stop/start cars do an element of this but nowhere near as sophisticated as a hybrid (from whatever manufacturer). Yes, we all know that usually it took petrol to achieve the speed to slow down from :-)

Is a hybrid less polluting - depends I suppose. There are those who would argue about the battery materials. But essentially the most power you can get and USE out of a gallon of fuel is the way to go - whether that be ultra-lean petrol engines, hybrids, or whatever.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - Sulphur Man

The vast majority of Prius' are charged by their petrol engines. There's a small amount of plug-in ones that can take a charge from the mains, but they are a small minority, and it's a small charge for about 30 miles of driving.

Accusing all Prius' owners of polluting by 'taking' electricity from somewhere is (very) inaccurate.

We should be reminded why the Prius came into production back in 1999. It was because US buyers, Toyota's largest market by far, simply dont want diesel powered cars, but did want better 'gas' economy. At launch, the Prius offered rougly double the mpg of an equivalent petrol-powered compact 4 door car. Sure, Toyota have played the green card hard, but it was a market opportunity that drove the car into being. And what a market they've captured. Plus, the US consumer seems to have been proved right about diesels, following VAG Dieselgate and the realisation for many European cities, especially Paris and London, that prolonged exposure to NOx emissions from diesels are seriously harmful.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - ifekas

Hybrids are not my cup of tea until perhaps someone realises buyers may just prefer a manual. They might be more economical as well.

I get 45 mpg out of my non - hybrid Seat Leon 1.4 TSi. Its much faster than any Toyota Hybrid and not that much less economical in normal use. Considering you can buy one for about £4000 less than a similarly kitted out Auris it makes the Leon a clear winner in my eyes. I would need to do 150,000 miles or more to break even and have to live all that time with a noisy slower car.

Funnily enough, hybrids have had no attraction to me for some of the reasons you mentioned, especially when buying new. However, I would only buy an automatic, so suddenly the Toyota hybrids look quite attractive!

With the questionable reliability or issues with VW DSG and non torque converter gearboxes, and the poorer efficiency of torque converter gearboxes, as a second hand purchase some of the Toyota hybrids look really good value, depreciating much more rapidly than you might think. While the Auris estate seems to hold its value well, presumably because there is high demand for it with taxi drivers, the Yaris hybrid isn't that much more expensive than a petrol version so makes an ideal automatic city car.

I'll stick with my auto torque converter diesel for the time being, as it is great to drive and provides reasonable economy; but when it comes time to change I think a Toyota hybrid might be the way to go.

I have not read of or considered the comparative noisiness of these hybrids at motorway speeds, though, or the comfort of the seats, so will have to take test drives at motorway speeds before looking seriously.

I suppose it depends upon how old or much mileage the second-hand hybrid car has done, as the manufacturer often only warranties the batteries for a certain number of years/miles, and if it was used as a taxi, then it would've clocked up a lot. Taxi drivers don't get rid of cars that are working fine with no potential big bills on the horizon - it eats into their profits!

My borther-in law px'ed his Honda Civic Hybrid because of faults appearing with the battery systems - too much (potentially expensive) trouble in store! Got a standard (perfectly decent) run-out mk2 Jazz instead.

"I’m bored with driving Turbo Diesel Car."

Have a good test drive in a hybrid, Catfood, and make sure you really find it more interesting to drive. Then try a turbo petrol and compare....

Rob, above, will enjoy his journey to Scotland (in fairness, he'd enjoy it equally in a 320i as in a 320d). If he has to slow down on the motorway, a dab on the accelerator will have him back to cruising speed.

Last time I tried a hybrid, a Lexus NX300h, a similar exercise led to 5000 rpm, lots of noise and no doubt a big gulp of petrol. Not for me, I'm afraid.

Actually I'd probably still enjoy the A830 'Road to the Isles' from Fort William to Mallaig even in a hybrid. It's a wonderful road - one of my favourites. Are you going on to Skye from Mallaig, Rob?

I'll hopefully enjoy it even more in the 6 month old/4k miles 530d tourer I pick up this weekend, Avant. The 325d that I've had for over 3 years is departing.

No, we're not going on from Mallaig. We're going up there for the 'Road to the Isles' Half Marathon. We're both runners, we honeymooned in that part of Scotland 20 years ago (where does the time go), and the race is on just a week after our anniversary date. It seemed to make sense to us, anyway !

Race goes from near Arisaig to Mallaig, so we're just making a long weekend of it, head up on the Friday and back on the Tuesday.

Have a good test drive in a hybrid, Catfood, and make sure you really find it more interesting to drive. Then try a turbo petrol and compare....

Never driven a hybrid, no wish too either. The simple fact they are all auto's is enough to put me off and the then they go and saddle them with a CVT which is one device garanteed to remove any interest the car may have had

Rob, above, will enjoy his journey to Scotland (in fairness, he'd enjoy it equally in a 320i as in a 320d). If he has to slow down on the motorway, a dab on the accelerator will have him back to cruising speed.

Our twice a year trip to Scotland used to take us about 8 hours total time 24 years ago including breaks in a Bluebird 1.8. Now it takes us about 8 hours in the Leon TSi. The Bluebird used to average about 35 mpg for the trip, the Leon averages over 50 mpg for the trip. In 25 years that is real progress and no need for a couple of duracells. The extra power of the Leon is nice on the A9 when getting past lorries, for the remainder of the trip its not really used.

Last time I tried a hybrid, a Lexus NX300h, a similar exercise led to 5000 rpm, lots of noise and no doubt a big gulp of petrol. Not for me, I'm afraid.

Me neither. Like I said above never driven a hybrid but I have been in a work colleagues Auris. It was dreadful, all revs and little action when you pressed the right pedal. He liked it simply because it was free and was saving him a fortune in company car tax over his previous diesel bu definitely not for me.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - Big John

I don't have a hybrid yet but I'm considering one in the future

1) I've noticed more and more taxi drivers have them

2) A friend has a Toyota hybrid Auris (previously had Prius) - who in real life gets amazing fuel consupmtion (not computer) . This depends on your driving style but if you don't give it too much rice economy heads north of 70mpg - I was impressed.

3) Another friend has a a Toyota Prius (older gen 1.5 owned from new) that gets about 65mpg (rural country roads). Had an oil consumption problem for a while at high mileage which was the PCV valve.

Even though both of my fiends do highinsh mileages none have ever changed disk pads/discs (brake regen does most of the stopping)

There is no starter motor

There is no alternator

There is no DMF

There is no DPF

There is no SCR

Engine runs using Miller cycle

Not sure about the very latest model - but they have port fuel injection (not direct)

They don't go wrong (much)

However - If you drive too "enthusiastically" - not for you!

I currently have a Skoda Superb 1.4tsi which I like (46mpg thus far) but my next car.........

Edited by Big John on 11/01/2017 at 23:43

A friend has a Toyota hybrid Auris (previously had Prius) - who in real life gets amazing fuel consupmtion (not computer) . This depends on your driving style but if you don't give it too much rice economy heads north of 70mpg - I was impressed.

What does mpg mean in a hybrid? If most of the work is done by the battery/motor, that could be well over 100 ? How does one factor in the fuel used to charge up? By any reckoning it's a false comparison with non-hybrids.

What does mpg mean in a hybrid? If most of the work is done by the battery/motor, that could be well over 100 ? How does one factor in the fuel used to charge up? By any reckoning it's a false comparison with non-hybrids.

Exactly the same as it does in any car that has a tank that contains fuel. Its the distance covered on a gallon fuel. Regardless of the type of drive train if the car uses fossil fuel as a power source the mpg figures can be directly compared.

How hard can it be.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - Brit_in_Germany

The plug in hybrids are nothing other than a tax fraud to reduce the BIK payments of high earners. What percentage of them are actually plugged in to charge them up rather than being driven round with empty batteries?

The plug in hybrids are nothing other than a tax fraud to reduce the BIK payments of high earners. What percentage of them are actually plugged in to charge them up rather than being driven round with empty batteries?

How can they run about with empty batteries? when the batteries reach a certain percentage the engine kicks in to charge them up, regardless of being plugged in, as that cant last long in winter too much load on electrics, like brake regen, can only partially recharge if the load is high

How hard can it be.

Don't be disingenuous, Skidpan - if you drive a hybrid with drained batteries, I suppose the comparison may be valid. If you charge the car fully and use the 'engine' as little as possible, apparent mpg could be very high. Quoting figures may be next to meaningless?

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - FP

With a hybrid, if you never plug the car in to recharge it, then obviously the only cost of fuel is for what the engine uses.

If you always charge the car straight from the mains and the engine never runs, then work out the cost of the electricity. If it's a bit of both, work it out and add it up.

So what is wrong in making a direct comparison between that and a non-hybrid car?

I really don't get what this discussion is about.

How hard can it be.

Don't be disingenuous, Skidpan - if you drive a hybrid with drained batteries, I suppose the comparison may be valid. If you charge the car fully and use the 'engine' as little as possible, apparent mpg could be very high. Quoting figures may be next to meaningless?

A vast majority of Toyota prius and all Toyota Auris Hybrid are not plug in so all the energy is derived from the petrol you buy.meaning the mpg you calculate is the real mpg.

If you have a plug in hybrid the calculation will be missleading unless you know exactly how much electricity you use and convert it into gallons.

If its a pure electric car mpg is irrelevant.

But since this thread is about the Toyota Prius the mpg will be totally relevant unless its the plug in version.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - FP

I suppose what I really meant in my previous message is that mpg is hardly relevant. What you probably want to compare is "fuel cost per mile". With a non-hybrid you have mpg and factor in the cost of the fuel. With a hybrid you have either mpg plus electricity or just electricity, and you factor in the cost of electricity.

I have driven several hybrids - both slowly and quickly. Some of the comments above about speed and noise say more about the competence of teh driver than the car..

As far as pollution caused by power stations for plug-in hybrids/electric cars, if they are charged at night, there is no extra pollution.. or minimal. Powe stations - except emergency Gas powered ones - have to run all day and night so if demand is low they still have to operate.

Emergengy gas powered ones can power up very quickly to meet peak loads.. (and are very clean compared to coal)

I have driven several hybrids - both slowly and quickly. Some of the comments above about speed and noise say more about the competence of teh driver than the car.

With the CVH transmission its simply a case of pressing foot down and hearing the noise. The driver, competent or not, cannot influence what happens when they floor it, it does not take any skill at all. Some acceleration eventually appears to take place but from what I experienced as a pasenger the need for it had long receded when it arrived. Time to give up and pull back in.

The driver hated the car as a car but as a low tax business device he loved it.

I have driven several hybrids - both slowly and quickly. Some of the comments above about speed and noise say more about the competence of teh driver than the car.

With the CVH transmission its simply a case of pressing foot down and hearing the noise. The driver, competent or not, cannot influence what happens when they floor it, it does not take any skill at all. .

Not if you can manually chose the gears and override the thing - which I do about once a month.

Not if you can manually chose the gears and override the thing - which I do about once a month.

Well the guy at work did not appear to know you could manually choose gears in the Auris hybrid. If you enlighten me I will pass the technique on.

Suppose he should RTFM.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - Keith Moat

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it seems a lot of non-hybrid motorists don't seem to know how the Prius works.

The engine normally revs up to its most fuel efficient speed to maintain fuel economy when you accelerate normally, assisted by the electric drive motor. This seems excessive to manual car drivers, but anyone who has driven an ICE CVT automatic will relate to this.

When you give it some beans, the engine revs will go above this "efficient" speed, if requested by the driver and this shown on a gauge on the display as being in the inefficient range. This request for speed will be aided by the electric drive motor and although you can't manually change gears, you can make the engine revs drop by easing off the pedal a little after the initial surge (revs), this allows the electric motor to take up more of the share of the power requested and makes for a more economical (and more pleasant on the ears) acceleration, without a loss in power.

The advantage of a hybrid is diesel like torque at low revs due to the electric motor assistance, with petrol smoothness and better than petrol economy. I don't know of any 1.8 ltr petrol engine automatic car that does anywhere near the mpg of the Prius.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - Leif

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it seems a lot of non-hybrid motorists don't seem to know how the Prius works.

The engine normally revs up to its most fuel efficient speed to maintain fuel economy when you accelerate normally, assisted by the electric drive motor. This seems excessive to manual car drivers, but anyone who has driven an ICE CVT automatic will relate to this.

When you give it some beans, the engine revs will go above this "efficient" speed, if requested by the driver and this shown on a gauge on the display as being in the inefficient range. This request for speed will be aided by the electric drive motor and although you can't manually change gears, you can make the engine revs drop by easing off the pedal a little after the initial surge (revs), this allows the electric motor to take up more of the share of the power requested and makes for a more economical (and more pleasant on the ears) acceleration, without a loss in power.

The advantage of a hybrid is diesel like torque at low revs due to the electric motor assistance, with petrol smoothness and better than petrol economy. I don't know of any 1.8 ltr petrol engine automatic car that does anywhere near the mpg of the Prius.

My petrol 1.0 VW Polo normally gives between 60 mpg and 70 mpg, a few times going below 60 mpg during mid winter, and hitting the peak in mid summer. Driving style and journey type are the key factors in fuel economy assuming a fuel efficient engine. Accelerate and brake lots and you'll burn fuel needlessly. Anticipate, and avoid heavy traffic and you'll get good economy.

I would hope that the Pius has more interior space than the Polo, but the former does cost a lot.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - Terry W

Before asserting the benefits of hybrids over full EV or ICE equivalents we need to be aware that they add considerable weight, cost and complexity - two motors + battery and fuel storage + the technology interfacing the two systems.

• they could, depending on criteria set, be capable of operating on battery only in urban environments reducing pollution - subject to use and range
  • regenerative braking and optimising engine efficiency could compensate for the additional weight and cost.

But overall the mpg savings from hybrids are barely noteworthy - not dissimilar to equivalent cars driven with reasonable restraint. If my pattern of use was a normal daily commutes of 5-10 miles + (say) monthly trips of 200 miles, a plug in hybrid could operate as an EV (most of the time) without occasional range anxiety!

Overall I think they will prove to be short lived - as EV batteries and recharging technologies improve they will be rapidly consigned to history.

Before asserting the benefits of hybrids over full EV or ICE equivalents we need to be aware that they add considerable weight, cost and complexity - two motors + battery and fuel storage + the technology interfacing the two systems.

• they could, depending on criteria set, be capable of operating on battery only in urban environments reducing pollution - subject to use and range
  • regenerative braking and optimising engine efficiency could compensate for the additional weight and cost.

But overall the mpg savings from hybrids are barely noteworthy - not dissimilar to equivalent cars driven with reasonable restraint. If my pattern of use was a normal daily commutes of 5-10 miles + (say) monthly trips of 200 miles, a plug in hybrid could operate as an EV (most of the time) without occasional range anxiety!

Overall I think they will prove to be short lived - as EV batteries and recharging technologies improve they will be rapidly consigned to history.

They (including the cost) will improve, but not at the rate most proponents say and it also has a lot of tax benefits still in its favour to make the picture look a look better than it is in reality.

The charging infrastructure and battery raw materials issues are going to be the real key ones to resolve to make it viable for everyone and all road transportation (including HGVs, buses, industrial and farm transport) not just the well off. Unfortunately these issues are currently being completely overlooked by policy-makers all the way through developers and industry.

An all electric tractor is a nightmare and inworkable in the real world.. (As anyone who knows a little about farming would realise)

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - alan1302

An all electric tractor is a nightmare and inworkable in the real world.. (As anyone who knows a little about farming would realise)

As they already exist what makes them unworkable?

At harvest time they need to work 24/7.

And in muddy conditions, any extra weight is bad news.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - thunderbird

My petrol 1.0 VW Polo normally gives between 60 mpg and 70 mpg, a few times going below 60 mpg during mid winter, and hitting the peak in mid summer

I do not for one moment believe this based on the research we did before buying our Fabia 1.0 TSi 110PS and my experince in the 3 months of ownership.

What car had the 95 PS version on long term and achieved 46 mpg average. Autoexpress had and SE-L on long term but not sure which engine it was, average 45 mpg. If we had matched those I would have been happy, way better than the Focus 1.8 petrol had managed for 12 years.

Honest Johns "Real MPG" figure for the Polo 1.0 TSi 95 PS is 49.7 mpg and for the Fabia 110 PS 48.8 mpg. Since magazines tend to thrash cars more than owners in the real world that is what I would expect.

In the 3 months we have had the Fabia it has averaged 49 mpg, bang on the HJ figure and we are delighted. On a long run over Christmas to visit relatives on nice quiet Motorways and A roads it averaged 55 mpg which absolutely delighted us, it matched diesel cars we have owned previously.

So to suggest that the car will do 70 mpg is living in cloud cuckoo land I am afraid.

And its not just the Skoda and VW that produce those figures on Real MPG. The Audi A1 and Seat Ibiza with the 1.0 TSI engine had figures of approx 49 mpg.

My petrol 1.0 VW Polo normally gives between 60 mpg and 70 mpg, a few times going below 60 mpg during mid winter, and hitting the peak in mid summer

I do not for one moment believe this based on the research we did before buying our Fabia 1.0 TSi 110PS and my experince in the 3 months of ownership.

What car had the 95 PS version on long term and achieved 46 mpg average. Autoexpress had and SE-L on long term but not sure which engine it was, average 45 mpg. If we had matched those I would have been happy, way better than the Focus 1.8 petrol had managed for 12 years.

Honest Johns "Real MPG" figure for the Polo 1.0 TSi 95 PS is 49.7 mpg and for the Fabia 110 PS 48.8 mpg. Since magazines tend to thrash cars more than owners in the real world that is what I would expect.

In the 3 months we have had the Fabia it has averaged 49 mpg, bang on the HJ figure and we are delighted. On a long run over Christmas to visit relatives on nice quiet Motorways and A roads it averaged 55 mpg which absolutely delighted us, it matched diesel cars we have owned previously.

So to suggest that the car will do 70 mpg is living in cloud cuckoo land I am afraid.

And its not just the Skoda and VW that produce those figures on Real MPG. The Audi A1 and Seat Ibiza with the 1.0 TSI engine had figures of approx 49 mpg.

Nope. It's best not to question someones honesty. The HJ figures are not realistic for my driving. I used to get well above them from my VW Up and Ford Ka.

The truth is that most people don't drive in a fuel efficient manner. The figures I quoted are calculated from fuel in and miles covered. I once had over 80 mpg for a 40 mile journey according to the on board computer, so somewhere round 75 mpg in reality. I prefer cross country driving to motorways, I drive in a smooth manner and I purposefully avoid routes that have heavy traffic. Keeping the revs low is the key. Most people approach a junction at speed, brake at the last minute, then when a gap appears, accelerate rapidly. And they drive in too low a gear on straight stretches.

"Most people approach a junction at speed, brake at the last minute, ..."

A style of driving ,I believe , which lends itself to accidents on snow. and ice.

(Another accident here this am - ambulance and police - on snowy road up to the moor - at same spot where a C1 overturned 18 months ago. 2 cms of snow: brake late and hard and suddenly you have no grip or steering)

"Most people approach a junction at speed, brake at the last minute, ..."

A style of driving ,I believe , which lends itself to accidents on snow. and ice.

Yup. And on a surface with loose grit.

Having a lift in the boss's car some years back was an unpleasant experience, being repeatedly rocked violently back and forth as he approached and entered junctions. That said, I had some lessons from an advanced driving instructor, and I recall that during his demo drive he braked hard and late at each junction, causing anxiety on my part, and then sped off rapidly afterwards. I think this was described as making rapid progress. He said he'd won some award in an IAM driving competition.

I once had over 80 mpg for a 40 mile journey according to the on board computer, so somewhere round 75 mpg in reality.

Totally meaningless. I had about 100 mpg on the Focus once for a 30 mile trip.

We started off at Longshaw Estate on the Peak which is 368m above sea level. By the time we got to Calver at 132m about 4 miles away we had 3 dashes on the display which is over 200 mpg. By the time we got to Cromford at 81m above sea level and about 30 miles from Logshaw it had dropped to a shocking 100 mpg. By the time we got home, another 20 miles and at 190m above sea level it was back down to a normal 55 mpg.

If we had continued back to Longshaw it would have dropped even lower.

We could all choose routes that give magical figures but what do they prove, absolutely nothing. That Focus would average about 44 mpg over a year.

I once had over 80 mpg for a 40 mile journey according to the on board computer, so somewhere round 75 mpg in reality.

We started off at Longshaw Estate on the Peak which is 368m above sea level. By the time we got to Calver at 132m about 4 miles away we had 3 dashes on the display which is over 200 mpg. By the time we got to Cromford at 81m above sea level and about 30 miles from Logshaw it had dropped to a shocking 100 mpg. By the time we got home, another 20 miles and at 190m above sea level it was back down to a normal 55 mpg.

We could all choose routes that give magical figures but what do they prove, absolutely nothing. That Focus would average about 44 mpg over a year.

I totally ignore any claims using on board computers..

Drving involves cold starts, halts, queues etc in the real world. And those nasty things called hills.

A cold start usually means for the first 3-5 miles - depending on ambient temperatures - mpg may be half of normal.. or less. If I turn out of our drive uphill, my Jazz averages 13mpg for the first two miles.If I I turn downhill, then it's 35mpg..

Unless you do brim to brim calculations, any figures quoting are worthless.

Edited by madf on 26/02/2020 at 12:23

Unless you do brim to brim calculations, any figures quoting are worthless.

That is exactly what I do.

I assumed it was obvious that I was referring to the average for the journey, and not the instantaneous reading which is meaningless. I have calibrated the on board computer and it overestimates the average for the journey by about 5%.

I assumed it was obvious that I was referring to the average for the journey, and not the instantaneous reading which is meaningless. I have calibrated the on board computer and it overestimates the average for the journey by about 5%.

My figures were not the instantaneous ones which I agree are pointless but those from the "trip" average display i.e. from the time you start the car, like most cars the Focus had 3, instantaneous, trip and one which did the average for about the last 3000 miles. For the record it was inaccurate when compared to a calculated figure I too would say about 5% higher.

My figures were not the instantaneous ones which I agree are pointless but those from the "trip" average display i.e. from the time you start the car, like most cars the Focus had 3, instantaneous, trip and one which did the average for about the last 3000 miles. For the record it was inaccurate when compared to a calculated figure I too would say about 5% higher.

Sigh.Feel free not to apologise for your unpleasant comments on my post. I think you need to learn to read. :(

Sigh.Feel free not to apologise for your unpleasant comments on my post. I think you need to learn to read. :(

OK, lets start.

You said

I assumed it was obvious that I was referring to the average for the journey, and not the instantaneous reading which is meaningless.

and I replied

My figures were not the instantaneous ones which I agree are pointless but those from the "trip" average display

which to me looks like I am agreeing that the instantaneous figures are pointless and confirming they were form the trip average.

Looks to me like its you who needs to learn to read and then apologise.

Perhaps next time I should send a particularly nasty reply, you might understand that.

OK, lets start.

You said

I assumed it was obvious that I was referring to the average for the journey, and not the instantaneous reading which is meaningless.

and I replied

My figures were not the instantaneous ones which I agree are pointless but those from the "trip" average display

which to me looks like I am agreeing that the instantaneous figures are pointless and confirming they were form the trip average.

Looks to me like its you who needs to learn to read and then apologise.

Perhaps next time I should send a particularly nasty reply, you might understand that.

You made the following comments:

" do not for one moment believe this based on the research we did before buying our Fabia 1.0 TSi 110PS and my experince in the 3 months of ownership."

You are wrong.

"So to suggest that the car will do 70 mpg is living in cloud cuckoo land I am afraid."

And again, you are wrong.

Just agree to disagree, or I'll close the thread.

I find his tone of phrase rather confrontational and offensive. I don't like my integrity or judgement being questioned.

Suggest you close the thread before some unfortunate soul buys one the excellent 1.0 TSi's expecting to get 70 mpg when every source I have seen (including my recent personal experience and that of HJ Real MPG) quotes the high 40's.

That is not a small difference, not even the highly optimistic official figures quote 70 mpg. Ours has an official combined of 64.2 and years of my own experience (many others agree on various sites) suggests deducting 25% from the official figure to get the truth. That would be 48.15 mpg, pretty much what we are getting.

Avant, surely you want the facts to be accurately represented on this forum and just because my facts and those from several other sources are different to what this poster believes why would you want to close the thread.

Go on the Fabia forum and find posters who get 70 mpg from their 1.0 TSi and when you find some I would agree for you that closing the thread is the right thing to do.

It's nothing to do with whether or not you can get 70 mpg from a 1.0 TSI (which depends on how and where you drive).

Closing the thread is appropriate when it degenerates to the stage where two supposedly adult people tell each other that they should learn to read.

Anything else like that and the thread goes.

It's nothing to do with whether or not you can get 70 mpg from a 1.0 TSI (which depends on how and where you drive).

If you are happy for total nonsense to be posted so be it.

Closing the thread is appropriate when it degenerates to the stage where two supposedly adult people tell each other that they should learn to read.

Anything else like that and the thread goes.

Sorry Avant, but firstly I was told that what I wrote was not true, and then that I live in cloud cuckoo land when simply stating my own measurements. I have photographic evidence of 86 mpg averaged over 41 miles according to the computer, so more like 80 mpg in reality. I don’t see why I should put up with personal insults when they were uncalled for. The comment about not reading was justified since I referred to measurements based on fuel in and miles covered, and subsequent comments from the other person showed he/she had missed that. I’ve had enough and I’m off.

Toyota Prius - Real MPG - misar

Inspired by the debate I looked at this website which has extensive real world performance data (compiled from many magazine and website tests):

www.zeperfs.com/en/

Their eco consumption for the Polo is 49mpg, for the Prius 71mpg. If you choose a "battle" between the two you can also see the spread of test results. They show that those values are the very best that anyone reported.