Subaru Legacy/Outback 2006 model - Flashing light - hillman

There is a small red light on the top of the steering column in front of the toggle for the parking lights. Usually it lights up steady when I enter the car along with the circular lighting around the ignition key lock and goes off when I start the engine. Now it's started flashing when I park with the alarm system on. I've never noticed it before. Can anybody tell me what's going on ?

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2006 model - Flashing light - elekie&a/c doctor

Is that not the correct operation.?Flashing led with alarm armed.Solid led when entering the car means you are good to go .Possibly times out after approx 50 secs.I would assume this car is fitted with a Subaru/Sigma alarm system?

Sorry fellahs, I've owned the car 10 years now and never noticed the LED behaving in that way. It just flashes dimly when the system is energised. I just noticed it when I parked the car on a section of road with no street lights. I searched through the documents and found Subaru Category 1 Alarm Systems, Operating Instructions. Like normally, I'd never read them.

Perhaps elekie&a/c doctor can help me with the spurious problem of the flashing cruise control and steady engine alarm lights. It first happened when the car was three months old. It occurs randomly, it could happen twice a month or several months between occurances. The effect happens when I switch the ignition on. To make it stop I have to start the engine twice or three times. A handful of times I have had to start the engine a maximum of four times. The original dealer went bust so I asked another dealer a couple of years ago whether they could diagnose the problem and they said to bring it in. I've been down that route too many times to mention with the supplying dealer. They kept the car in for two or three days but couldn't find the fault.

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2006 model - Flashing light - Falkirk Bairn

Have you tried disconnecting the battery? Leave it 10 mins & then reconnect.

Could be just a spurious signal that is upsetting the car electronics.

Only issue is it may give you othe issues - radio losing settings, electric windows etc etc

I accidentally did that a while ago. I helped somebody take down three small trees in their garden, taking the cut branches to the nearby recycle depot, starting the engine 14 times. Then, putting the branches into the car triggered the switch of the rear roof light which is never used. Hence the battery went flat and nothing would work. Which gives meaning to the old saw, "No good deed goes unpunished". I recharged the battery, reset the radio stations and the electric windows continued working. What I had in mind was an update of the ECR programme. When I mentioned this to the new dealer he said, "Bring it in and we'll look at it". The ECR has not been updated since new. I would have expected him to look at the records for updates. Subaru dealers are like hen's teeth and this one is located in a distant town.