Roundabouts - barney100

The post about being hit on a roundabout is just too real. I was hit a couple of weeks ago by a lane changer but got it fixed for £250. The new roundabout in Basingstoke has multiple lanes but you need to drift lanes once on it to into the lane you need. (West to East) If it's quiet no problem but when the traffic is heavy lots of folks need to change lanes and it's q dangerous. Some one in the near side blind spot is my worry.

Roundabouts - Bolt

I`m surprised there are not more accidents on our local, Crittals Corner off A20

not many actually take any notice of what lane goes where, as long as they can cut others up getting to the exit they want, if you happen to be in the right lane and someone cuts you up, according to them your in the wrong.

a bottleneck arises due to those overtaking the cue then cutting in very sharp into a single lane.

I wonder why people dont read signs there are enough of them

Roundabouts - Smileyman

too many signs ... end up with confusion ... or contempt for the road planners and their deisre for you to queue

Roundabouts - catsdad

Tackling large unfamiliar multi-lane roundabouts can be a pain. Too often if you follow the lane marking signs you are expected to change lanes as you progress and the lane markings either come too late or are obscured by traffic until you are right upon them. When you are mixing with "regulars" who swoop from lane to lane there is the risk of a bump.

Rather than make a dangerous manouvre to make my exit, if necessary, I will take another loop around the roundabout so that I can take the safe route next time round. Not great for traffic flow but needs must.

I hasten to add I am not averse to well designed roundabouts. I used to transit the Swindon Magic Roundabout daily and in many years' use never saw an accident or major hold-up. Even near misses were rare.

Roundabouts - galileo

Tackling large unfamiliar multi-lane roundabouts can be a pain. Too often if you follow the lane marking signs you are expected to change lanes as you progress and the lane markings either come too late or are obscured by traffic until you are right upon them. When you are mixing with "regulars" who swoop from lane to lane there is the risk of a bump.

Rather than make a dangerous manouvre to make my exit, if necessary, I will take another loop around the roundabout so that I can take the safe route next time round. Not great for traffic flow but needs must.

I hasten to add I am not averse to well designed roundabouts. I used to transit the Swindon Magic Roundabout daily and in many years' use never saw an accident or major hold-up. Even near misses were rare.

Some of the roundabouts at M62 and M1 junctions in Yorkshire/Lancashire can also need lane changes, I find it helps on unfamiliar ones to leave a good gap to the vehicle in front, it gives more chance of spotting road markings in time. And, of course, watch all mirrors and be prepared for anything daft from others.

Roundabouts - RT

Road marking for junctions, on the road surface, are crazy - when it's busy you can't see them until too late to get in the right lane - when it's not busy, they aren't really needed.

It's time these were outlawed.

Roundabouts - gordonbennet

Couldn't agree more RT.

I'm not sure, because i almost never need to use one for navigation, but i wonder if satnavs with lane guidance go into fine enough detail on roundabouts to show lanes, that would be a useful feature...i know they do on approaches to junctions but not sure about roundabouts.

I too hate the pushing and shoving involved on these roundabouts, some are set out very well and on your approach its pretty obvious which lanes you will need to be in, but some others are totally illogical and cause mayhem and minor tussles constantly.

These problems are helped enormously by johnny foreigner lorries who stay to the very outer edge of a roundabout and go all the way round for a right turn, and sometimes do a second lap for good measure, mind you i have every sympathy, if we haven't a clue what lane we're supposed to be in what hope have they.

Roundabouts - Snakey

Around here most of the roundabouts have been turned into a traffic light mess but the remaining ones are an example of how not to paint road markings.

More often than note the lanes are too thin for anything other than a bubble car and trying the stay within them is impossible. They also are so poorly laid out they mean you need to change lanes at the last minute to take your exit, causing confusion for those on the roundabout and also those giving way.

Durham county councils genuis department was at work on one roundabout, covering it with traffic lights and claiming they'd improve traffic flow by adding an extra lane. All they did was make 2 normal lanes into 3 thin lanes, in which everyone overspills and general treats them as 2 lanes anyway.

I'm not sure who designs these but they obviously have never driven a car around one of their cockups!

Roundabouts - corax
I'm not sure who designs these but they obviously have never driven a car around one of their cockups!

I quote a Skidpan line.

They should be 'flogged at dawn'.

Roundabouts - oldgit

Well, we have in the Keston Kent area, a new roundabout just about to open being a month behind schedule, according to what I read some months ago. This roundabout replaces a dodgy Y-junction where the main Westerham Rd meets Heathfield Rd coming from Hayes and Keston.

At the moment the new roundabout is being re-surfaced and everyting getting ready for normal traffic and many weeks of traffic lights control.

From what I have seen, and bearing in mind that double decker buses have to negotiate this new roundabout I can foresee problems but I'm a typical pessimist perhaps.

In order to accentuate its rounabout status, sinuous kerbs have been built out at various parts where I can see some vehicles hitting or mounting these nasty edges but no doubt most traffic will manage to miss them, with sufficient illumination and observation.

The centre piece is fashioned from blockwork and is also level with the road surface only in places where I can imagine it would be impossible for large vehicle to negotiate the roundabout if it had a raised kerb. However, diagonally opposite, there are raised kerbs on the centre area and so its geometry is not consistent and I suppose, like painted circles on mini-roundabouts, they want to encourage traffic to keep to the tarmac.

I am sceptical as to how well this will work but hope it will alleviate the morning and evening traffic jams we had befored, with traffic queueing to exit Heathfield Rd onto the main Westerham Rd. However I can see the possibiltiy of damaged wheels or blown tyres on the unobserved and unexpected projecting kerbs.

Roundabouts - Bolt

Well, we have in the Keston Kent area, a new roundabout just about to open being a month behind schedule, according to what I read some months ago. This roundabout replaces a dodgy Y-junction where the main Westerham Rd meets Heathfield Rd coming from Hayes and Keston.

At the moment the new roundabout is being re-surfaced and everyting getting ready for normal traffic and many weeks of traffic lights control.

From what I have seen, and bearing in mind that double decker buses have to negotiate this new roundabout I can foresee problems but I'm a typical pessimist perhaps.

In order to accentuate its rounabout status, sinuous kerbs have been built out at various parts where I can see some vehicles hitting or mounting these nasty edges but no doubt most traffic will manage to miss them, with sufficient illumination and observation.

The centre piece is fashioned from blockwork and is also level with the road surface only in places where I can imagine it would be impossible for large vehicle to negotiate the roundabout if it had a raised kerb. However, diagonally opposite, there are raised kerbs on the centre area and so its geometry is not consistent and I suppose, like painted circles on mini-roundabouts, they want to encourage traffic to keep to the tarmac.

I am sceptical as to how well this will work but hope it will alleviate the morning and evening traffic jams we had befored, with traffic queueing to exit Heathfield Rd onto the main Westerham Rd. However I can see the possibiltiy of damaged wheels or blown tyres on the unobserved and unexpected projecting kerbs.

That junction has always been awkward, though I think traffic lights would have been the better option due to the speed some come around that bend, not so sure a roundabout will help much....but you never know?

Roundabouts - hillman

"Road marking for junctions, on the road surface, are crazy - when it's busy you can't see them until too late to get in the right lane - when it's not busy, they aren't really needed."

Yes RT, especially at night when it's raining and the markings are worn.

Roundabouts - barney100
Blackdam roundabout in Basingstoke has had months of costly work, is festooned with lights, the road markings have you swapping lanes and it's like dodgems in some directions. I vote Basingstoke as one of the countries top road planning black spots. We have speed humps, road narrowing..the give priority to oncoming traffic type in the middle of nowhere. of course the council consulted the local people...really...no one consulted me of any one I know. 10 thousand people objected about new speed humps when they appeared and were totally ignored. I was told by the future mayor that as soon as his lot got in power humps would go...guess what...still there.
Roundabouts - Bolt

And they blame us for emmisions levels being high,I think they need to look at their own planning causing stop start situations

Roundabouts - hillman

At the end of a hot summer period, after the first rain shower, approaching roudabouts can be quite hazardous. Vehicles leave rubber on the road surface and when wet it's like wet ice. I once skidded on the surface approaching one island, frightening me considerably.

Roundabouts - Bolt

At the end of a hot summer period, after the first rain shower, approaching roudabouts can be quite hazardous. Vehicles leave rubber on the road surface and when wet it's like wet ice. I once skidded on the surface approaching one island, frightening me considerably.

Try telling young drivers that, and that oil is brought to the surface in damp conditions making it even worse, not that they take any notice as most dont!