Ford kuga, vw tiguan, Nissan juke, - £5k to spend on suv, please help me decide. - marv80

Hello please help me decide. I have a small budget of 5k and need a suv. Been researching all day long till my head hurt as just can't decide due to my limited budget. I have managed to mirror down to a few options which include -

Freelander 2

Ford kuga 08-10

Vw tiguan 2009

Nissan quashqai 2011

Nissan juke 2011

SUBARU FORESTER 2010.

My husband has left and he used to deal with all this so am pretty much stuck. I just want something which will help me stay on the road with reasonable service and maintainece costs. Looking forward to your support and advice that you.

Edited by marv80 on 05/12/2016 at 17:32

Ford kuga, vw tiguan, Nissan juke, - £5k to spend on suv, please help me decide. - barney100

I'd say Japanese if you can get a bit of a warranty with it, Toyota Rav? Freelander would worry me.

Ford kuga, vw tiguan, Nissan juke, - £5k to spend on suv, please help me decide. - SLO76
Do you really need an SUV? Out of the cars you've listed (Freelander and Forester excluded) most of them haven't any more interior space than an ordinary family hatchback such as a Focus or a Golf and you'd get a newer car with far lower mileage that would be vastly more dependable if you were able to accept a lower ride hight.

Secondly, what sort of usage will the car see, will it be mostly local stop start running or will it be longer distance? If it's the former then a DPF equipped diesel as fitted to most of your list will be totally unsuitable.

I've been selling cars for over 20 years and the three words I always say to people shopping on a tight budget, keep it simple. Forget gadgets and image and go for a straightforward family hatchback like a Civic or a Focus with a petrol engine and buy the best low mileage car you can afford with a full service history.

A diesel SUV at £5,000 could and most likely will become a costly money pit very quickly.
Ford kuga, vw tiguan, Nissan juke, - £5k to spend on suv, please help me decide. - gordonbennet

Out of the cars you list, the one that stands out as being the best bet for reliability long term is the Forester, hopefully a standard 2.0 litre petrol, which isn't going to be great on fuel it must be said, avoid the Diesel completely.

However if you have a decent indy mechanic on tap they are generally good to work on being designed to be maintained and most normal (quality aftermarket) parts are reasonably priced if not exactly cheap, but be aware genuine parts can be eye wateringly expensive but then these cars are so well made that few genuine parts should be needed, as such in three years with our now 14 year old Outback i haven't bought a single part from the main dealer nor has anything gone wrong with it.

SLO76 is quite right about a simpler car being a cheaper bet overall (you don't mention running costs as such in your OP), but if you really want full time 4WD for some reasons and there's nothing at all wrong with that and a slightly higher than usual sitting position you could do far worse than go for the Japanese model.

Is it possible to take a mechanic or someone else with you who knows a bit about cars to check any possibles out for you.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/12/2016 at 19:48

Ford kuga, vw tiguan, Nissan juke, - £5k to spend on suv, please help me decide. - Miniman777
Freelander - forget unless you want big bills, head gasket esp
Tiguan - wouldn't touch a diesel after emissions farce. Dashboard is dull and boring
Juke/qasquai - juke is smaller boot not as big as quasi or Kuga but see HJs used cars comments, as petrol Jukes are poor accelerators. Overall a fair buy
Kuga- had a 61 plate Titanium 4x4, lovely car, very reluctant sale due to company car - a Juke. models have bright coloured plastic trim in early models, many call Fisher Price interior
Other options have no experience