All - Speed Humps - Cluedo
I see someone has at last seen that speed bumps are a menace like we all already knew. NICE are looking for them to be removed to reduce the creation of emissions as people accelerate and slow down between them, let alone the damage they do to cars as well. Hopefully councils will listen and act accordingly although I have my doubts on the intelligence levels of most council leaders to be honest.

Edited by Cluedo on 01/12/2016 at 09:19

All - Speed Humps - SLO76
Another aspect is the lives they cost. The Chairman of the London Ambulance Service, Sigurd Reinton, claimed way back in 2003 that speed humps are killing hundreds of Londoners by delaying 999 crews. He said “For every life saved through traffic calming, more are lost because of ambulance delays.”

Add to this the number of people injured or killed due to damage and wear caused to vehicles passing over speed humps and the picture is clear that they do not save lives and are in fact largely a b***** menace with the exception of areas close to schools and possibly areas known for excessive speed in built up areas close to where children may be playing.

There is one such street in our estate where drivers regularly exceeded 60mph in a 30 zone next to a play park before road calmning was installed. However the local authority (led by a non-driver) has installed them everywhere, one road is nearly impassible in anything short of an SUV because they're so steep and is not next to a school or a park.

Edited by SLO76 on 01/12/2016 at 09:50

All - Speed Humps - RT

I've always felt that the only justification for speed humps is to reduce traffic speeds down to the posted limit - if 30 is too fast, change the limit to 20 and if necessary use speed humps which are comportable and non-damaging at 20.

The "pads" which don't go all the way across the road are a waste of space - HGVs, buses, vans and big SUVs can treat them with immunity but smaller, lower vehicles are down to 5-10 mph.

We live at the end of a short dead-end road where the house at the end fan out facing open parkland - it's a popular area for families to move to as it's good for children - we all drive slowly, considerately in/out except one parent who owned a Sierra Cosworth who always came in/out like a mad-head - oblivious of the fact that his two daughers were at risk like the others.

All - Speed Humps - Bolt

The thing that bugs me is the effort Councils put into slowing traffic down, and making things more difficult for the driver, and they have the front to moan about emmisions levels

A bit more thought into road layouts and removing humps, traffic lights out of sequence giving too much priority to the direction of flow that doesnt need it is totally daft

Put cameras in where humps are.makes more sense imo

All - Speed Humps - Engineer Andy

Let's hope they get rid of the 'pimple' speed humps first, though I'm sure garages and tyre dealers would disagree. A colleague just had two new front tyres and the aligment done after the previous front two were worn down to the carcass on the inner edges due to regularly going over such things. As HJ says, its that or knacker your suspension by driving one wheel fully over the centre of the pimple hump (not possible a lot of times due to traffic etc), even at 5mph.

Most people don't even slow down (much) for speed humps any more, so what's the point, other than to give garages/fast fitters and petrol stations (lower fuel economy) more profits, as well as the obvious environmental downsides and cost of maintaining the humps, roads next them (which deteriorate quicker by being next to them) and compensating vehicle owners when damaged humps and roads damage vehicles.

Hopefully the plethora of (often worthless) signage/road furniture and speed cameras will be next, which I'm sure contribute just as much to the above issues. Not really a surprise this all happened, when (IMO) most so-called 'road safety' and 'transport' 'experts' working for government and councils don't drive and hate motorists.

All - Speed Humps - Snakey

Everything the councils do with their roads is a knee jerk reaction. Speed bumps, traffic lights, bus lanes are all rushed in to claim they are acting on a supposed problem. More often than not they cause a new problem.

Alas, most of those in the council are muppets who seem to have a collective hatred of anyone who dares to commute, assuming we are all speeding teenagers on drugs and must be stopped.

How about a bit of oversight for a change - speed restrictions near school and genuine safety areas would be respected by the bulk of motorists, but we're so jaded by the likes of pointless 30mph limits on dual carriageways for invisible road workers that you start to zone out.

I'm pretty sure some local authorities are just b***** minded in their attitude to motorists. North Tyneside have ripped up the Billy Mill roundabout (which was busy but never a blackspot) to put their infernal traffic lights in - having closed this to some motorists they brilliantly diverted cars/buses/trucks onto a small unsuitable road on which they proceeded to dig up to install more traffic lights. Genius.

All - Speed Humps - Vitesse6

Lots pf places in France have sensors at the side of the road which displays your speed, complete with smiley or sad face depending on how good you are. These do seem to work, and people slow down for them. A few take it further, and have a set of traffic lights soon after which are triggered by the sensor. Exceed the limit and you get stopped. Far better than speed humps which are just a pain in the a***

All - Speed Humps - concrete

I believe there is current legislation regarding 'speed bumps'. This is quite clear about the height, width etc and more importantly their distance from residential properties, road junctions etc. I seem to remember a case where a resident of a road got the council to remove the obstacles because they contravened these rules. Maybe worth checking if you have lots in your particular area. I believe it is through the DTI.

Cheers Concrete

All - Speed Humps - Engineer Andy

Lots pf places in France have sensors at the side of the road which displays your speed, complete with smiley or sad face depending on how good you are. These do seem to work, and people slow down for them.

Seen these today along the A10 between Cambridge and south of Royston - some of the 'old' style ones (no cameras) were firebombed by (presumably) locals - I wonder how long these will last?

All - Speed Humps - corax
Hopefully councils will listen and act accordingly although I have my doubts on the intelligence levels of most council leaders to be honest.

After being face to face with a few of them, I believe you are correct to hold that view.

All - Speed Humps - Smileyman

so if a person is injured whilst travelling over a speed bump will NICE use this to support a claim from the local authority to make good the medical costs?

Let's be realistic. Removing speed humps is not going to miraculously clean the air, it might be a small improvement, but it's a drop in the ocean.

It might be better to plant more trees along busy roads. They've been proven to absorb huge amounts of pollution. I saw a program where they tested this theory by placing large potted silver birches (one of the most effective at filtering) along the frontage of of a house then compared the pollution levels inside with a house next door that was exposed to the road over a number of weeks. The results were very surprising.

Put something back into the environment instead of cutting down pollution absorbers then inexorably covering every green space with yet more concrete and emission producers.

To be honest, I don't have faith in society to get out of this mess.

I've studied courses on the environment and I remember that it was noted that there was a general trend of people moving to and living in cities, with architects envisaging a kind of Utopia where everyone lives in harmony with plenty of space and clean air around them.

I can't see it at the moment, at least not here. I hope that more people do become more urbanised, and I'll stay out in the countryside thanks!

All - Speed Humps - RT

Let's be realistic. Removing speed humps is not going to miraculously clean the air, it might be a small improvement, but it's a drop in the ocean.

It might be better to plant more trees along busy roads. They've been proven to absorb huge amounts of pollution. I saw a program where they tested this theory by placing large potted silver birches (one of the most effective at filtering) along the frontage of of a house then compared the pollution levels inside with a house next door that was exposed to the road over a number of weeks. The results were very surprising.

Put something back into the environment instead of cutting down pollution absorbers then inexorably covering every green space with yet more concrete and emission producers.

To be honest, I don't have faith in society to get out of this mess.

I've studied courses on the environment and I remember that it was noted that there was a general trend of people moving to and living in cities, with architects envisaging a kind of Utopia where everyone lives in harmony with plenty of space and clean air around them.

I can't see it at the moment, at least not here. I hope that more people do become more urbanised, and I'll stay out in the countryside thanks!

Stop eating burgers! The destruction of the Amazon rain forest is to allow the rearing of cattle which end up as cheap burgers around the world - so the CO2 absorption of trees is lost and cows add to pollution with huge methane production!

Stop eating burgers! The destruction of the Amazon rain forest is to allow the rearing of cattle which end up as cheap burgers around the world - so the CO2 absorption of trees is lost and cows add to pollution with huge methane production!

I'm a vegetarian.

No I'm not, before you say my lentil intake is adding to the methane production.

:-)

All - Speed Humps - brum

architects envisaging a kind of Utopia where everyone lives in harmony with plenty of space and clean air around them.

Like Seahaven, the place where Truman lived.

All - Speed Humps - Bolt

I do not know where anyone is going to get clean air as even antartica has dirty air, I think its just something to complain about with tree huggers that have nothing better to do.

better research is needed into cleaning diesel exhausts, though once that has happened someone will come up with a different health hazard for all to worry about