Headlight dazzle prevention - hillman

For the first time I have seen it acknowledged that ‘modern’ headlights dazzle other drivers. There is an article in one of the institute on-line news releases that Osram have developed a system of headlights that are devised to prevent glare to on-coming drivers. The system was developed in collaboration with Daimler, Frauenhofer Institutes, Hella and Infineon. Funding was provided by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research.

Several ‘things’ are necessary for measuring the amount of light needed, including, but probably not restricted to, a camera, maps, and sensors measuring acceleration, steering, levelling and ambient light/rain. Algorithms are involved and CAN bus systems to individually control the light output of LED pixels. It sounds very clever and no doubt expensive.

Meanwhile, can BRs devise a simple way of telling inexperienced drivers, and there seem to be a lot of them about, to dip their headlights ?

Headlight dazzle prevention - Dwight Van Driver

A tip I was told early in my traffic days was that when faced with what appears a dazzling beam DO NOT look at the beam but try and focus beyond. Seemed to work for me.

I pass this on for what it is worth

dvd

Headlight dazzle prevention - FP

Glad to see you back, DVD. I trust things are progressing well.

Headlight dazzle prevention - bathtub tom

A tip I was told early in my traffic days was that when faced with what appears a dazzling beam DO NOT look at the beam but try and focus beyond. Seemed to work for me.

I was taught to look just beyond the range of your own lamps, into the black pool. That way your pupils adjust more quickly once the dazzle passes and you're looking exactly where you should be.

Headlight dazzle prevention - concrete

I pass this on for what it is worth

dvd

Hello dvd, I hope your recovery is progressing well. A very welcome post.

Like you I was taught too focus to the left of beam to avoid a direct flash into the eyes. It seems these day I have to use the technique more often than I would wish. Some inconsiderate drivers around who either refuse to dip, or don't even realise they are on full beam. Then the perenial maladjusted lights, not noticed until the clocks go back and headlights are more in use. At least my rear view mirror has an automatic 'dipping' function to avoid being dazzled, usually by a large SUV or similar with headlights mounted higher from the ground. The joys of driving.

Cheers Concrete

Headlight dazzle prevention - RT

A number of premium model already have "smart" mainbeam which detects vehicles in front and cuts off the light just in those areas - so even accelerating over the brow of a hill shouldn't dazzle oncoming drivers.

There are a number of causes of dazzle, in no particular order - failure to dip, faulty adjustment, faulty bulb fitment, dirty lenses and untested eyesight among other drivers.

Back in the '60s I was taught not to look directly at the lights of oncoming traffic to avoid being dazzled - lights are more powerful now but the advice is still good - DVD beat me to it!

Edited by RT on 25/11/2016 at 16:37

Headlight dazzle prevention - gordonbennet

Confess this is one of the reasons i drive a higher vehicle when not at work, the difference in sitting that two or three feet higher is amazing.

Couple of tips to add to the above posts.

Keep your windows spotlessly clean inside and out at all times, less glare when it can't land on dirt on your windows and cause that to show up, and good for stopping winter sun glare.

Wash your windscreen with something different to normal wash and wax after you wash the car itself to get wax and road grease off, and don't forget to keep the blades themselves clean either, a useful way of prolonging wiper blade life and preventing judder is to lift them up and flip them the other way now and again when they are 'parked', helps keep them flexible and they don't develop that one sided lean that means judder.

Keep an old spray bottle of clean water and a rubber blade squeegee handy during the winter when you are out and about, there is nothing worse than trying to wipe salt residue off the windows, all you do is smear it further, but a few sprays of clean water and couple of passes with the rubber blade and it clear again.

I have been known to keep a full squeezy bottle of water in the door pocket during really bad weather, whilst at the lights a quick blast of clean water over the screen saves using your washer bottle of proper mix up too quickly.

If your screen is badly scratched due to thousands of wiper passes and small stone chips, get it changed, shop around local one man and his dog windscreen fitters, you'll be amazed how much you can get a new screen supplied and fitted for so long as you avoid the usual heavy advertisers...its doesn't pay to claim f you can help it, even for glass, despite them telling you it won't affect your NCD, it can affect your premiums.

The light wars i'm afraid are here and only going to get worse as millions more people arrive and millions more cars go on the road, plus hundreds of thousands of houses more plus amenities shopping centres etc means more light still, all you can do is try to mitigate the problems for yourself.

LED clever lights?, can't imagine i'll ever be buying a car fitted with any of that guff.

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/11/2016 at 17:13

Headlight dazzle prevention - focussed

LED clever lights?, can't imagine i'll ever be buying a car fitted with any of that guff.

I'll bet that drivers using the old carbide-acetylene lights made a similar comment when the new-fangled electric headlamps were introduced in the early 1900's!

Headlight dazzle prevention - FP

A couple of points: I drive regularly between local towns on unlit roads at around 22:00 - 22:30 and am often behind drivers who slow down from an already modest speed when faced with oncoming headlights. I would say a sizeable proportion of these have some kind of eyesight problem. I see there are classes available that supposedly help with glare - no idea if they work. I am reluctant to condemn out of hand, but I sometimes wonder if people who cannot cope even with properly adjusted headlights should be on the road.

Having said that, a lot of cars' headlights cause genuine problems, chief among which are presumably legal high-intensity lights that are supposedly self-levelling, but do not deal with humpback bridges, speed bumps or even the crest of an ordinary hill.

Then there are the cars that have - usually - one headlight beam so high that I can only assume a bulb has been replaced and incorrectly seated.

I will mention only in passing that the "light overload" situation is made worse by the increasingly common and illegal use of foglights.

If you're in a queue of traffic at night no-one seems to use their handbrake; everyone just keeps their foot on the brake pedal. Some drivers also use their rear foglights all the time.

At the other extreme you have the high number of cars with only one headlight, or the idiot who uses just his LED daytime lights at night and is completely dark at the rear.

Headlight dazzle prevention - jc2

One of our local magistrates stated in court that when dazzled he closed his eyes!

Headlight dazzle prevention - John Boy

I seem to remember reading (possibly on here) that being troubled by oncoming headlights is a very early sign of a cataract developing.

Eyesight should be checked every two years by a qualified optician, not just for drivers over a certain age but for all adults and children - even if glasses aren't needed they can/do spot the first signs of eye diseases - cataracts do tend to cause dazzle and can be dealt with - glaucoma can affect vision and may be managed but damage can't be reversed - there's a multitude of other eye issues that are all best dealt with early rather than late.

Headlight dazzle prevention - nortones2

I find no problem with well adjusted lights, but maybe 10% are illuminating above the horizon! As mentioned, I look towards the nearside to avoid saturation. Regular (yearly) eye tests show all is OK presently, as the 70 yr old licence renewal request now awaits completion....

Headlight dazzle prevention - brum

Its very rare to be dazzled by incorrectly adjusted headlights unlike 40 years ago. I guess modern design and the mot sees to that.

Only gripe are the high intensity led drls, some which are left on, though slightly dimmed when the headlights are on. Because they are directionless and have a high far blue content, the light scatters easily in mist/fog/rain (thats why we jave blue skies).

I think drls should shut off completely with headlights on, they are not sidelights.

I can only think complicated adaptive lights will only lead to more problems of dazzle and other unforeseen consequences. Dont trust modern technology as being applied in cars. Touch screens, christmas tree lighting inside/ouside the car, creative manipulation of lighting regulations (Im thinking of combined drl/sidelights/indicator led arrays that change intensity or even turn off to avoid conlict). Foglights that go on and off when turning the steering wheel maybe great for drivers bit not for everyone else on the road.

Will they rewrite the highway code for these adaptive lights? Tech for the sake of tech. Meh.

The headlights now have sharp cut-offs and need not dazzle anyone provided the road is smooth and level. But, things are not that way.

GB has a good point on sitting higher, as in SUVs and people carriers. The seating height for some of these vehicles is a good head and shoulders above my seat. The drivers of such vehicles will suffer much less from dazzle.

I too use the technique of looking fixedly in the distance and not at the headlight. That’s one of the first things I learned about night driving. But, it is a good practice to make sure that the road is clear before bashing on, and that might mean slowing down.

I experienced woe one evening last week when I went over the railway bridge and a car with bright headlights came round the left hand (for him) bend at the top the hill. The headlights swept across me and dazzled me temporarily. I went on down the hill and came upon a car parked on the wrong side with headlights full on. I went carefully ahead because it really was difficult to see beyond. Then I saw that the traffic lights were on red. I have the habit of slowing down to approach the lights so as not to strop unnecessarily. The lights changed to green and I hadn’t stopped - about 20 mph - and I accelerated. Then I was overtaken by a Discovery with the driver’s foot on the boards. He had to cut in or otherwise he would have carried away the bollards on a pedestrian refuge. It was then I thought about GB’s comment about sitting higher.

Another thought. The distribution of light from headlights on dipped beam light up the nearside verge and are then cut off sharply to prevent glare to the drivers approaching on the other side of the road. So, when the thoughtless motorist parks on the wrong side of the road outside a shop ?, while his/her passenger ducks in to buy something, the lights are concentrated in the view of drivers approaching. No matter what measures the oncoming driver takes will deal with this.

Headlight dazzle prevention - gordonbennet

So, when the thoughtless motorist parks on the wrong side of the road outside a shop

Oh there's a fine example of this with the newpaper wholesalers van who parks on the wrong side of the road half on half off the road and leaves his headlights on in Isham, through which i pass early morning on my way to work, he then stands beside his NS side loading door to get the bundles of papers out, you cannot possibly see him until you are almost upon him, its only a matter of time before someone cleans him up.

Another one destined for early demise is the cyclist who rides up a busy unlit side lane rat run (Sidegate lane Wellingborough, also the road into a busy landfill) that carries a ridiculous amount of peak time traffic...not a light to be seen anywhere on his bike and obviously he's dressed all in ninja black, as you would if you were tired of living.

Where the double face palm smiley, we need one of those here.

Another thought. The distribution of light from headlights on dipped beam light up the nearside verge and are then cut off sharply to prevent glare to the drivers approaching on the other side of the road. So, when the thoughtless motorist parks on the wrong side of the road outside a shop ?, while his/her passenger ducks in to buy something, the lights are concentrated in the view of drivers approaching. No matter what measures the oncoming driver takes will deal with this.

That's less troublesome with modern Z-beams rather than the older Y-beams - with the Z-beam even the nearside is below horizontal, or at least not above it, unlike the old Y-beams.

Another thought version 2.

If sitting high, as in SUVs and people carriers makes the driver less prone to dazzle, what about 'sports cars' ? Do we add the risk of eye damage due to dazzle to that of gravel rash ?

Headlight dazzle prevention - joegrundy

(As an update to another recent thread, I've just had the Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs (4 x H1 for £20 from ECP) fitted and my lights aligned by my indy. No charge. Made a very noticeable difference.)

On dazzle and the comments re cataracts. I had mine done in 2008 at the early age of 52. One probable cause of them was I retired to Cyprus in 2005 and did not bother too much with sunglasses, so I have been much more careful since.

After the cataracts were done and plastic lenses implanted things were much brighter.

I regularly use yellow driving glasses. These are optically correct (they used to be sold as 'approved by Met Police') and make a tremendous difference. In grey/misty conditions e.g. murky motorway at dusk in spray they give you a noticeably sharper view. At night they cut out glare from approaching headlights and improve contrast. Recommended.

Headlight dazzle prevention - davecooper

I was told by my Optician that eye pigmentation can affect how susceptible people are to being dazzled by oncoming lights. My eyes are perfect but I have to drop the sun visor or wear tinted glasses on even relatively dull days as I find the sky too bright. As you can imagine, I am affected quite badly by oncoming headlights.

Edited by davecooper on 07/12/2016 at 13:23

For most daytime driving I wear driving glasses with light brown polarized lenses.

I find them useful, especially at this time of year when you can be caught out with low sun.

I was going to give a link to the firm I've got my sunglasses from since 1975 (Debbex, Suffolk) but it seems they may have finished. Shame.

JG and DC. I have used the sun visors down since I started driving more than 50 years ago. I don't like the glare from the sky or the street lights. When I give lifts to people they frequently lift the visor and I ask them why they want to see the aeroplanes then I put the visors down again.

A question about yellow tinted lenses. I have ordered a pair of over glasses and a pair of flip down lenses from Easylifegroup, due to arrive before Xmas. Can one of the expert BRs tell me how they work ? Does the yellow tint filter the headlights ? The tungsten filament bulbs tend to give a yellow coloured light but the newer headlights - and the ones that cause most glare - are white. Do the lenses still work ?