Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero - Shogun/Pajero prices? - usualdisclaimer

Considering a series 2 SWB Shogun/Pajero. I don't know what kind of price is reasonable for a nice example. It won't do many miles so Petrol or Diesel is not an issue. A couple of Pajeros ('96-'98) in Auto Trader for around 2k. I saw a really nice 'J' reg. UK Shogun online but it was priced at 2995. Maybe this is the going rate for a very nice one but I wouldn't know. Anyone here with the knowledge?

Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero - Shogun/Pajero prices? - RobJP

They can be horribly rusty underneath - structural rust, that is.

Unless you REALLY know what you're up to, make sure you have a very competent friend to have a good look at it.

Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero - Shogun/Pajero prices? - NARU

They were well engineered - but are getting rather old now. Condition is everything.

Avoid the 3.0 petrol - its thirsty and slow. The 3.5 petrol can be worth a look though. You'll find some good forums around, and I'm sure someone would be happy to look at one with you.

Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero - Shogun/Pajero prices? - focussed

You can buy some brilliant bargains for £2K - or you can buy a pile of cr*p that will turn out to be a money pit for as long as you can throw money down the hole.

Take someone with you that knows how to recognise a good'un from a runner (that you should run away from).

Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero - Shogun/Pajero prices? - RT

If you're going back to the '90s 2nd generation Shogun/Pajero - then the 2001-2006 Hyundai Terracan is heavily based on that earlier Pajero.

Many thanks for your responses.

I'm not planning any off-roading, but I've never had a 4WD style vehicle before (driving since 1962) and the Series 2 has the "Tonka" jeep style I'd like to have. (Point taken about the Hyundai but it's really ugly).

It will have to be an automatic since my wife has a disability, and TBH I've got used to autos now. I'm not bothered about "slow" after all where can one go fast these days?

Are there any arguments for/against the diesel version apart from the fairly small MPG difference?

Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero - Shogun/Pajero prices? - SLO76
Blast from the past! I used to sell these new back in the 90's and the only trouble we really had was the occasional balking gearbox on 2nd gear, cured by replacing the gearbox oil with a thicker type supplied by Mitsubishi. They were pretty bulletproof and much loved by owners who were very loyal to the brand.

Don't however buy one of these thinking you can run it on a tight budget! These were expensive cars new and parts and wear and tear items such as tyres and exhausts are expensive. They're also very thirsty, particularly the automatics and the petrol models are serious drinkers. You won't get far on a Focus/Astra budget.

The 2.5 diesel is known for popping head gaskets around 100k but wasn't officially available as an auto so this is irrelevant to you. The 2.8 was a much better engine with loads more pulling power. It was a very robust unit but age, abuse and high mileage will wear any engine out. Look for worn turbos, noisy gearboxes, knackered clutches, injectors, structural rot, off road and accident damage. The V6's are pretty bulletproof with less to go wrong but abuse, mileage and age again can kill them.

Only buy if you have a heathy budget and understand that one of these will cost a fair bit of cash to keep on the road. I've sold stuff like this to punters before who quickly wanted back out of them because the high running costs were more than they could wear.

Edited by SLO76 on 23/11/2016 at 19:37

Thanks for your advice. What would you expect to pay for a nice one?

Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero - Shogun/Pajero prices? - SLO76
Hard thing to value when there are so few on sale. I'd expect to pay between £1,500 - £2,000 to get a decent one but the diesel auto SWB wasn't a big seller and few remain, you'll probably have to widen the search to include the LWB and series 3 model which realistically starts around £2,500-£3,000.

Did spot this but can't vouch for it without seeing it. Auto Trader #DrivenByMe
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20161110962...8
Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero - Shogun/Pajero prices? - focussed

They are a bit similar to the L200 truck - the 2.5 diesel is the same motor.

The reason for the head gasket problem previously mentioned is usually that the EGR cooler corrodes through, the coolant leaks out and the engine overheats and thus the cylinder head distorts and the head gasket leaks.

Other problems are the front pulley/harmonic balancer delaminates, if not caught in time it may wreck the cambelt cover and then the cam belt.

The balancer belt is prone to shredding and then gets in the cambelt which then jumps a few teeth, messes up the valve timing and the valves hit the pistons and either break the rockers or the camshaft bearing caps.

The 2.8 is not hugely more powerful than the 2.5.

They are an old fashioned body-on-chassis thing.

Old fashioned as in 4k-5k mile oil changes,because its an IDI diesel, and laying underneath with a grease gun looking for all the 15 or so grease nipples every year.

Unless you are handy with the spanners I wouldn't

Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero - Shogun/Pajero prices? - madf

This month's Car Mechanics has a good article on buying them

Grateful for all the advice.