Mercedes C220 CDi - Buying No V5 Repo with Private Plate - hatman

I've been considering buying a car at a BCA auction that is a finance house repossession with no V5 and a private plate. A quick Google search revealed that the plate is actually currently for sale but HPi and VOSA MoT records show that the private plate on the car is currently the correct plate for this car. I've found out the original 59 plate that was first registered on the car when new and that comes up blank if I try to make any HPi or VOSA check with it.

My question is, if I was to buy this car and apply for a new V5 in my name, how do I know whether to apply for the new V5 on the private plate or the original 59 plate? Also, once I apply for the V5 do I need to declare the car as SORN and can I do this online?

I used to be in the trade and in the 1990s I bought a few repos at auction and simply applied for a new V5 and waited a few weeks for it to arrive (apart from a few weeks delay and the extra owner it wasn't really a problem) but I am concerned that I don't really know if the private plate will come with this particular car or not? The auction is unable to confirm this either way in the absence of a V5. Is there an easy way of calling the DVLA to ask if the private plate has been retained by the previous keeper or whether it is the correct plate for the car? I'd much prefer the original 59 plate to the pretty naff and very low value private plate! The car is currently still taxed but given the change in rules a couple of years ago should I SORN the car as soon as I buy it?

Much appreciate any advice

Mercedes C220 CDi - Buying No V5 Repo with Private Plate - RT

Surely if you buy it legitimately at auction and apply to DVLA for the new V5C, then it's current registration will be yours - the previous keeper would need to have transfered the plate BEFORE your purchase to keep it.

Mercedes C220 CDi - Buying No V5 Repo with Private Plate - RobJP

Surely if you buy it legitimately at auction and apply to DVLA for the new V5C, then it's current registration will be yours - the previous keeper would need to have transfered the plate BEFORE your purchase to keep it.

Agreed - unless it is made very clear to you that the sale of the car does NOT include the rights to the numberplate.

Mercedes C220 CDi - Buying No V5 Repo with Private Plate - Falkirk Bairn

>>Mercedes C220 CDi - Buying No V5 Repo

It will need to be seriously cheap - repossession, No V5, no history.......

The car was re-possessed what are the chances the car was driven for years without servicing - it's a 7 year old car & a Mercedes - even if you can do work yourself the parts can be a money-pit.

Would a slightly older car with a service history not be a better buy?

Mercedes C220 CDi - Buying No V5 Repo with Private Plate - RobJP

Agreed

To take from an old TV show, 'who owns a car like this one' ...

7 year old repossessed Merc

'cheap, naff' (according to the OP) private plate.

If they've not had the money to keep payments up on the car, then it's very doubtful they've had the money to maintain it.

Unless it's stupidly cheap (like half the price it should be, making it into 'disposable' territory), then it's probably advisable to look for something else.