Ford Fiesta LX year 2000 - Quickclear Windscreen - KenC

My wife is the 2nd owner of a very tidy & reliable W reg fiesta with 27,000 genuine miles on the clock,sadly the quick clear windscreen has stopped working, such a shame in the winter months when it is needed most.

Does anyone know if there is an easily rectified fault with the quickclear system on this vehicle ? replacing the screen is not viable considering the age

the quick clear button lights up when depressed.

thank you

Ford Fiesta LX year 2000 - Quickclear Windscreen - RT

How much is the windscreen excess on your insurance?

Ford Fiesta LX year 2000 - Quickclear Windscreen - elekie&a/c doctor

At that age with such a low mileage,I would suspect the glass is faulty.Over the years damp and corrosion attacks the fine contacts and wiring within the screen.Only fix is a new glass.No repair available.May be worth a quick check in the engine bay fuse box for any blown fuses for the hfs circuit.

Ford Fiesta LX year 2000 - Quickclear Windscreen - liammcl

I wonder , as a botchit
if motorcycle visor,
demister spray would help any?

something like...
www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-...l

Cheers
Liam

Ford Fiesta LX year 2000 - Quickclear Windscreen - liammcl

oops,
I thought it was the condenstaion on the inside which was the problem.
cheers
Liam
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAqpN-LRMcQ

Ford Fiesta LX year 2000 - Quickclear Windscreen - John F

Interesting question as we have an X reg Focus with one - still working I'm pleased to say. Found this thread which might help? Might just be corroded connectors?

www.talkford.com/community/topic/223257-heated-win.../

thank you for the link, I will follow it up starting with checking the fuse & relay

do you happen to know whether or not removing the scuttle panel is a task that can be tackled without any special tools ?

thank you

The scuttle panel on these old Fiestas is not removeable.I would suspect that the wiring runs up the windscreen pillars inside the car,behind the plastic trims.

Good Evening, thank you for the update

I have identified the relay (relay 2) and the fuse (fuse 52) I will look in good daylight tomorrow.

You are correct the scuttle is solid metal, so am I correct in thinking that the connections to the screen heating elements will be accessed from inside the vehicle within the trim panel from the roof to the base of the windscreen ?

thank you

From memory there are 3 connections to the glass.One behind the right plastc pillar trim,one behind the left and the common earth at the top of the windscreen behind the roof light.

From memory there are 3 connections to the glass.One behind the right plastc pillar trim,one behind the left and the common earth at the top of the windscreen behind the roof light.

I have had a closer look today and found the following

left pillar trim removed, there are two copper coloured ribbon connectors to windscreen (one was an earth) one push fit insulated spade

right pillar trim removed, there are two copper coloured ribbon connectors to windscreen (one was an earth) one push fit insulated spade

all four connection were visually secure but the ribbon was twisted and folded caused by sharp angles and a poor layout. After removing the interior light I saw a fifth connection into what appeared to be the roof,again visually secure

I checked the fuse in the underbonnet fuse box (fuse 52) it was not blown and the blades were cleaned.

The only thing I could not locate was the relay which maybe I believe be behind the internal fuse box.

With the engine started (on tickover ) when the on button for the front screen is depressed it lights up but there is not noticible change in the engine speed ( like there is with the heated rear screen)

I wonder if the problem is a break or breaks within the screen wire element itself ?

or could it be a relay failure is this likely ?

thank you for your input

I would think the info you have is correct.Fuse in the engine bay and relay on the plastic frame behind cabin fusebox.The relay is controlled by a multi function control unit that is also located behind dash fusebox.This Mfu also controls other timed functions.Next step would be to put a test light or voltmeter across each pair of wires attached to the screen.Start engine ,switch on hfs,and check for power.

I would think the info you have is correct.Fuse in the engine bay and relay on the plastic frame behind cabin fusebox.The relay is controlled by a multi function control unit that is also located behind dash fusebox.This Mfu also controls other timed functions.Next step would be to put a test light or voltmeter across each pair of wires attached to the screen.Start engine ,switch on hfs,and check for power.

Today I carried out a further check as follows

Voltmeter connected between Input from relay to earth point, with engine running. when the front screen switch is depressed 14v is indicated on both drivers side and passenger side terminals

I am guessing this points to a good relay so is it an accurate conclusion that there is a fault in the screen element ?

Your test plan looks good to me.So yes,I think the conclusion is the screen is terminal.

Thank you for your input which saved me time looking in the wrong places.

I will get a price for a replacement heated screen but I suspect taking into account the age of the car that it will probably be prohibitive.

Ford Fiesta LX year 2000 - Quickclear Windscreen - RT

Thank you for your input which saved me time looking in the wrong places.

I will get a price for a replacement heated screen but I suspect taking into account the age of the car that it will probably be prohibitive.

So, back to post #2 "How much is the windscreen excess on your insurance?".

I imagine most people would create damage, causing a crack in the windscreen and then get it replaced on insurance, for the cost of the excess as NCD isn't normally affected.