vauxhall astra - vauxhall astra cdti - frogmarch

Hi my vauxhall astra cdti 1.9 120 has a fuel consumption problem , when I first start in morning it doesn't take first. turn of key and has a little smoke when started but I have been out today and done about 10 miles and trip consumption says 36.9 mpg which is a mixture of town and about 10 miles but I guess this isn't good , I have had car about six months and was doing around 46 mpg ,when I first got it I serviced it but haven't touch egr valve and put k/n filter in , could anyone tell me what else I could try thanks

vauxhall astra - vauxhall astra cdti - elekie&a/c doctor

Throw away that K/n filter and put in a genuine Vauxhall part .

vauxhall astra - vauxhall astra cdti - RT

Throw away that K/n filter and put in a genuine Vauxhall part .

+1 The standard Vauxhall filter is quite capable of flowing all the air the engine needs at full throttle - it won't sound as good as a K&N but it'll filter minute debris better - and has no oil to contaminate the MAF.

vauxhall astra - vauxhall astra cdti - frogmarch

Hi thanks for replies the k/n is a panel filter one would cleaning egg help also I'm going to check glowplugs as d o not know when they were changed if ever , I have noticed that the mpg has dropped since we started having cold weather and when I have been for run and leave car for say half hour it takes a couple of flips with key to start