MINI Cooper D 2007 - Clutch repair linked to oil problem? - Paul Wootton
Hi everyone...
I'm new to this so please excuse my lack of knowledge.
I have a Mini Cooper D 2007 which has 90k on the clock. Recently the clutch failed and I had a replacement fitted which I was told is a duel mass flywheel. I received the car back and the first issue was the under tray wasn't fastened properly and hit the road and had to be replaced. The car then developed a creaking noise from the engine bay once the engine is warm and when in low gears and lifting up and then back on the accelerator. They have had the car back and can't fine the issue.
Yesterday the oil light came on in red and I took it to them. I should point out that it went off again but when it was on there was a "tapping" noise in the engine. There was more oil in than the max but not too much which they drained off. Whilst doing this they noticed that the air box was loose and the hosing wasn't connected so they had it overnight to fix.
They reconnected this but on starting the engine today then red oil light has come on again, but again gone off.
Does anyone have any ideas what this could be and I guess does it sound like the original clutch work could be linked to this oil problem?
Thanks in advance.
Paul
MINI Cooper D 2007 - Clutch repair linked to oil problem? - elekie&a/c doctor
Can't really see any connection between the clutch and oil problem.Slight overfill will not cause the light to come on.The oil light is for pressure,not quantity,but it may be a dual purpose warning on this model as it it fitted with a dpf.Was any other work done apart from the clutch?The only part of the engine that may have been disturbed would have been the exhaust system.
Hi thanks for the reply.
I had a new DPF and injectors about 10 months ago.
The clutch and flywheel were replaced on this occasion.
My main worry is it's been given back to me with loose parts and a noise from the engine which wasn't there before.
And now the light had come on which all seems too much of a coincidence?

Edited by Paul Wootton on 05/10/2016 at 20:05

MINI Cooper D 2007 - Clutch repair linked to oil problem? - RobJP

I don't see how it is remotely possible that the oil level / pressure problem is related to the clutch replacement.

Do (or did) you regularly check the oil level to see if it was high / low ? Is the car regularly and properly serviced, using quality fluids and filters ?

Hi.
Yes full service history since owning the car.
From looking online it appears they'd have to remove quite a lot from the engine including the oil pump.
I just don't see how there wasn't a single fault yet after the clutch work it has a noise which they can't diagnose and now the oil pressure light is on.
MINI Cooper D 2007 - Clutch repair linked to oil problem? - bathtub tom

The oil light will come on when you turn the ignition on and should go out once the engine's running. This is a bulb check device like the rest rest of your dashboard that should light up like a Christmas tree when you turn the ignition on.

If the light comes on when you're driving along, it denotes another problem and you should read the owner's handbook to see what it indicates.

MINI Cooper D 2007 - Clutch repair linked to oil problem? - elekie&a/c doctor
I'm confused.The oil pump is inside the engine.No way does this need to be removed to change a clutch.This has the Ford/Psa Diesel engine,so very possibly has oil supply problems caused by sludging in the sump and oil galleries.
MINI Cooper D 2007 - Clutch repair linked to oil problem? - RichardW

Yes, no doubt it has already had a turbo replacement - and luckily been refitted without the turbo feed filter, or it would another one now! Almost certain that the strainer in the oil pick up is blocked; get them to drop the sump remove the pick up and rip the strainer out of it. It's probably just coincidence that it's happened now - it was probably on its way before. Creaking noise could be the gearbox mount which has to come off to get the gearbox out.

MINI Cooper D 2007 - Clutch repair linked to oil problem? - SteVee

Did you get an itemised bill for the clutch/DMF change ?
Is there any mention of oil, or sump-plug washers etc ?
It's bad that there were loose items in the engine bay after they've worked on it - including the undertray. I'd be looking for a different service agent after this is fixed.

MINI Cooper D 2007 - Clutch repair linked to oil problem? - Wackyracer

I once bought a Vauxhall Astra very cheap because of it having an oil light that intermittently flashed on and off and sometimes stayed on. There was nothing wrong with the engine, the wire to the oil pressure sensor had damaged insulation and the wire was shorting to the engine causing the light to come on.

So maybe during the gearbox removal they may have damaged the wiring?