Toyota Yaris - Buying a used car - outstanding recalls - dgd119

Looking to buy my first used car other than a £500 banger.

How to check if the car has any outstanding recalls? What happens if you buy a car with an outstanding recall? Will they still be honoured or is there typically a period during which any recall work must be done?

(Looking at buying a toyota yaris which I understand has had recall issues including the below which looks a tad worrying:

www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.a...3

Toyota Yaris - Buying a used car - outstanding recalls - SLO76
Only applies to turbo diesel variants. If you're on a limited budget you're best avoiding them and sticking to the petrol engined models which are very cheap to run and long lasting as long as they've been serviced EVERY year.

The timing chains can fail on the 1.0 if oil changes have been neglected. Listen for a rattle when starting from cold, it should go quiet pretty much instantly, if not walk away.

You can contact Toyota customer services if you wish to check the status of any recalls on a particular car or perhaps the nearest Toyota main dealer might oblige.
Toyota Yaris - Buying a used car - outstanding recalls - dgd119

thanks for the reply. Why best to avoid the diesel version?

I do a lot of miles so I was thinking diesel was the way to go?

I thought the yaris diesel engine was supposed to be quite robust?

Toyota Yaris - Buying a used car - outstanding recalls - madf

\\we have a Mark 1 2005 Yaris d4d.. Engine iwse it has been faultless apart from 2 new glowplugs. But well maintained and not abused.

Later post 2005 cars have issues withEGR or DPF if driven around town...

Under NO circumstances buy any Yaruis with the automated MMT gearbox.. Never ever. It's pants and £££s to fix..

Toyota Yaris - Buying a used car - outstanding recalls - SLO76

There's not much wrong with them but it depends on your budget and usage. Turbo diesels are more complex and later DPF equipped cars are not suitable for short stop start driving. Plus many are bought to save money and are run on a shoestring with scrimped and missed services. A full history is a must on a turbocharged car and not the basic fast fit service carried out by a 17 year old tyre fitter with no clue what type of oil goes in the thing. The petrol cars will all exceed 50mpg without much effort and there's little that goes wrong as long as you avoid the guff automated manual MMT gearbox as mentioned above which is jerky and as prone to problems as others of the type. The traditional torque converter auto is fine as are the manual boxes.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/10/2016 at 18:51

Toyota Yaris - Buying a used car - outstanding recalls - Auristocrat

Toyota GB has a recall checker on their website, where one can check whether any recalls or voluntary service campaigns are outstanding - www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/owners/rec...6

Toyota Yaris - Buying a used car - outstanding recalls - Avant

The Yaris is a good choice. Go for the 1.3 petrol which is much livelier than the 1.0 and not much less economical (as it doesn't have to be worked so hard to make reasonable progress).