Skoda Yeti - Skoda contract hire /HP - Richard Bown

Hi all I'm in the process of buying a Yeti from a Skoda dealer, and I was going to use contract hire to keep the cost down util some money appears next year.

Skoda, VW finance UK, use the same form for HP & contract hire

I strongly advise you read the contract very, very carefully, especially clause 3.1

Care and use of the vehicle.

"-not allow the vehicle to be taken outside the United Kingdom without our permission

except that you maytake it to any countrywithing the European Union for up to 60 days in any calendar year"

I queried this and the dealer rang Skoda finance,AKA VW Finance, underwring as I travel frequently through Switzerland to Italy.

The underwriting agent checked with his manager and the message back was that no permission would be given for any country outside of the EU.

So the list of prohibited places you can not take you Skoda and I guess as its VW finance any of the VW group vehicles as well.

I 'll start in the north and work south

Norway

Iceland ( car ferry cost £1000 !)

Isle of Man

Channel Islands

Lichenstein

Switzerland

Andora

Monaco

San Marino

Vatican City

Serbia

Gibraltar

All places you go that have signed the relevant motoring agreements with the EU.

So I refused to sign such rubbish and went to the bank and was lent the money I needed at 3.2% APR

I've complained to Skoda and waiting their reply

Can you imagine what the Germans would say if VW told them the same !!!

The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are NOT part of the UK or EU and like Gibratar are Crown dependencies.

There are at least two UK insureres that have Serbia on their permitted list, unfortunately the rest still seem to think its a war zone !

Richard

Skoda Yeti - Skoda contract hire /HP - Bromptonaut

Interest here as I bought my Roomster with a bit of HP to access a free servicing deal. Our foreign travel though tends to be done in Mrs B's Berlingo.

Gibraltar is part of the EU.

I'd also be amazed if Skoda actually excluded Switzerland or Monaco, Lichtensein etc. Never mind IoM/Channel Isles (although fly/drive is amost certainly cheaper than ferry for latter).

If it affected me I'd be putting question to VAG finance in writing.

The finance guy at the dealer questioed Skoda finance hard over this as he didn't want to lose a sale.

The answer was given was a definite NO to anything apart from the UK and EU

So Gibraltar is off the prohibied list, I wasn't aware that the state status was as part of the UK.

However, VW finance state you must ask permission and the answer is no by default.

So you had better be AMAZED

I have made my complaint in writing and by phone and the case is open.

If I dont get a satisfactory resolution to all three sections of my complaint the next step will be to write to the CEO of VAG.

Always worth thowing snowballs at the top of the mountain, they get larger as they roll downhill towards who ever caused the problem.

Skoda Yeti - Skoda contract hire /HP - daveyjp

Its potentially a nonsense clause.

First they need to find out you decided to visit an excluded Country. In the remote chance they do what are the sanctions for breaking the rules? Will they take the car off you?

A few years ago a friend of mine did his dream motorbike trip - UK to NZ via India and Nepal. Needless to say insurance was important.

His policy covered him for the EU including EEA countries such as Norway, Switzerland etc. However the small print excluded cover in the former Eastern Bloc countries which are all EU members!

Thats far too simplistic,

Apply Sods Law

You visit a country that is on the idiots banned list and have an accident

VAG finance are notified as an interested party as the vehicle is on a Hire agreement,

You end up in breach of the HP agreement and they could potentially take legal action against you, including recovery of the vehicle.

The better approach than sticking your head in the sand and ignoring it, is to take the idiots on for adding the clause .

Skoda Yeti - Skoda contract hire /HP - concrete

Thats far too simplistic,

Apply Sods Law

You visit a country that is on the idiots banned list and have an accident

VAG finance are notified as an interested party as the vehicle is on a Hire agreement,

You end up in breach of the HP agreement and they could potentially take legal action against you, including recovery of the vehicle.

The better approach than sticking your head in the sand and ignoring it, is to take the idiots on for adding the clause .

I agree Richard. There is legislation that allows for unfair terms and conditions in long complicated contracts to be stuck out. The key point is how reasonable would any normal person find the terms and conditions you descibe. The answer, of course is, unreasonable. This is probably buried somewhere in the Consumer Rights Act or some previous act but someone on the forum will be aware of it. If you can find the piece of the act you can ask Skoda what they intend to do about it. Good luck. Let us know if have any response.

Cheers Concrete

Hi Concrete

As I've found from Insurence companies they can refuse to cover any country.

If you try to get cover for Serbia , I only know of two UK companies who provide fully comp cover there.

Even though they have the same insurence status as Norway and Switzerland.

All I can recommend to everyone is to read the contract carefully, and query anything you dont understand or think shoud be there, and if you are not happy dont buy it.

The most effective weapon against stupid conditions is not to buy the product what ever it is.

With car finance it hits the dealer, lost commission and the finance company.

VAG finance are charging 6% but throwing in 2 services.

I had to borrow 8.5K which is more that the contract hire, with 5K owing at the end,

but TSB charged me 3.2%.APR

By complaing to Skoda CS they have given a service as good will gesture, and the dealer has discounted down the purchase by the cost of a service.

But no luck on a SD card that has Croatia maps on it :(

that is a problem to me as I drive down to Croatia each year, and although I know the main routes, the cities can be difficult without street maps.

There is still the outstanding complaint that I was not informed the Yeti had a VW EA189 engine , so has the issue with the emmissions s/w.

I will continue the action over the unfair clause with the CEO of VAG Finance, the weak spot in their defence is the exclusion of a country lying within UK territorial waters,

Ie The Isle of Man

It must be a terribly dangerous place with the three legged man that endangers VAG cars.

Also if so dangerous why are there two VW dealers on the island ??

Cheers

Richard AKA Victor :)

Good luck Richard. Regarding Croatia, my niece is married to a Croatian man. Lovely chap, a real gentleman. They vist frequently to see his parents and he uses his i phone for the SatNav directions. So I suppose there must be a website available to download or access the Croatian road network.

As you suspect, I think VAG will just fob you off in the hope you go away and to avoid them having to justify a ridiculous situation. Pity as Skoda has been my favourite car as an owner. Maybe try a Ford Kuga. I looked at one recently when I realised the Yeti may not be man enough to tow my caravan. It is an impressive vehicle with a good spec and a huse towing capacity and nose weight allowance.

Cheers Concrete

Skoda Yeti - Skoda contract hire /HP - Bilboman

I wonder what will happen to conditions like this in the post-Brexit age. (Visions of British holidaymakers caught in a ferry or Eurostar strike or just extending holidays only to find their car insurance suddenly runs out the day the UK leaves the EU...)

Skoda Yeti - Skoda contract hire /HP - jc2

These people make you wonder how we managed before the EU!

These people make you wonder how we managed before the EU!

I agree jc2. As a famous sailor once said

' I see no ships, only hardships' Anyone would think the world is coming to an end. This is only after 40 years of EU brainwashing too. What would it be like if their dummy was taken away after a longer period?

Cheers Concrete