Alternatives to Auto Trader? - mikem004

Looking for a second hand small car, 2006ish, paying up to about £3k.

Cash buyer, prefer a private sale.

Are there any alternative web sites to autotrader? About 90% of the ads are dealers on autotrader.

Even my local paper is no longer "local". It is part of a larger regional syndicate, so a private car ad can turn out to be far away.

Alternatives to Auto Trader? - Falkirk Bairn

Ebay - payable

Gumtree - free

Pre-loved

A son sold masses of kit on a local sales site on Facebook - not a car but sold off £3000+ worth of kit he wanted to get rid of before heading off to work abroad for a few years.

Alternatives to Auto Trader? - Galaxy

Yes, try Ebay, but personally, I'd prefer Autotrader!

Alternatives to Auto Trader? - SLO76
Gumtree's the place for sub £3k private sale motors. Be careful though, there's plenty of rogues. Link adverts on here and ask any advice you want if unsure.

I prefer a private sale too. Avoid the dealer who's most likely sourced it at auction in need of work and botched it with cheap paint/mechanical repairs. Get to meet owner and see where it was kept. But there's zero comeback if it goes wrong so if you're not absolutely sure of your ability then seek advice and take someone who really knows what they're doing with you.
Alternatives to Auto Trader? - mikem004

Thanks for the replies.

At least AutoTrader shows clearly if the car is a Cat C or Cat D write off.

Alternatives to Auto Trader? - madf

Motors.co.uk has 300k cars for sale....

Alternatives to Auto Trader? - Warning

I put an advert on Gumtree and when I googled my car registration, all my photos appeared on another web site: carnapper.co.uk.

They had stolen my photos from Gumtree. Although they have removed my listing after I complained, but I am not too impressed with their shoddy business practices of stealing photos without my permission.

carnapper.co.uk.say, they copy text and images from historic ads. My car had a fault, which has since been repaired. I was honest enough to list the fault in my original advert on gumtree, but I have since has the fault repaired, but it gives potential buyer out-of-date information or that I could be hidding something.....

Edited by Warning on 28/09/2016 at 02:16

Alternatives to Auto Trader? - John F

Have you tried cruising slowly around the housing estates in your local town? Or certain areas in the town where people park up cars for sale and the council seems to take no action? In one of our nearby towns there is a wide pavement opposite a pub where there are always a few cars for sale.

Alternatives to Auto Trader? - gordonbennet

If the Mrs finds out you've been cruising round town slowly you'll have some explaining to do John F :-)