Mondeo vs Mazda 6 - L_MO

Hi all,

Looking for a spot of advice, apologies is its all a bit basic!

Looking for a second hand petrol estate and have two on my radar at the mo. First is a 2011 Mazda 6 2.5L with 67000 on the clock.

www.vantagemotorgroup.co.uk/mazda/used-cars/650442.../

The second is a 2011 1.6L petrol Mondeo with a megre 26000 miles on the clock.

www.bristolstreet.co.uk/used-car/1393758/ford-mond.../

Now, what are peoples thoughts on these two cars and is the Mondeo with its low mileage worth the extra £2000? I've checked the MOT history on the mondeo and it has been sat for a coule of years not doing a great deal, so I am a little concerned the effect this might have on perishale items - seals etc, or am I being over concerened.

I have onwed a 2006 mazda 3 for the last 5 years and it has been brilliant, only wanting servicing and MOT'ing so I am tempted with the MAzda 6 but just wanted to get the thoughts of people more in the know than me.

Cheers!

Mondeo vs Mazda 6 - Wackyracer

I would buy the Mazda.

Mondeo vs Mazda 6 - Metropolis.

I once bought a car that had done 200 miles in 3 years before being registered for the road. Didn't cause any issues, and that was a diesel! As the Ford is petrol it should be even less risky. I'd opt for the Mondeo, provided you can haggle on price.

Mondeo vs Mazda 6 - Engineer Andy

Firstly, do you really need a car that is considerably bigger than your current one? If (like mine - I also own a 2006 Mazda3) you've had no/little trouble with your current car, why change? Not that for both cars, you'll be paying a reasonable amount more for running costs (fuel, insurance and servicing) unless your Mazda3 was the MPS version.

I suspect, assuming both were properly cared for by their previous owners (you cannot guarantee that) the Mazda would give less problems as its a non-turbocharged car, but generally they seem good vehicles.

Even though I'm a fan of Mazdas (styling, handling and performance), I have always thought that particualr Mondeo is very good on those fronts too, far better styling-wise (both inside and out - looking much more upmarket) than the Focus and the Mazdas of the same era (and the one you're looking at, which is fine). I much prefer the Mazda6 mk1 and mk3 (current one) for styling (similarly for the 3).

One thing ask is have you had your Mazda3 servicied at a local main dealer or independent? If you get the Ford and you've been having your Mazda3 serviced at the main dealer, then you'll have to take some gamle (unless you know its reputation already) by having the Modeo serviced elsewhere.

Mondeo vs Mazda 6 - L_MO

Cheers for the responses, reason for upgrading is the amount of stuff we find ourselves lugging about now that we have a baby bambino, also I just kinda fancy a change and to be honest I've preffered bigger cars.

Mazda 3 is the 2.0 sport so I running costs should be comparble. It gets serviced at a local indy garage and have never had anything serious for them to deal with. I haven't yet thought about where to get a new car serviced, a choice of sticking with the indy or finding the nearest main dealer I guess.

I am edging towards the mazda because there is no turbo to worry about and my 3 has been solid, it loks good, but Iagree the with you, the mrk3 does look good!

Mondeo vs Mazda 6 - Mike H

Firstly, do you really need a car that is considerably bigger than your current one? If (like mine - I also own a 2006 Mazda3) you've had no/little trouble with your current car, why change?

That wasn't the question, I think we have to assume the OP has already spotted this fact and wants a bigger car for a reason! ;-)

Mondeo vs Mazda 6 - SLO76
Both smashing big family wagons. I like the big Mazda but it'll be difficult to sell on again with high running costs (£270 tax and 30mpg average at best) and depending on the mileage you do it'll be sneaking towards six figures. If you do low miles and plan on keeping it a long time then it's a good choice. Mechanically tough with little to worry about.

My choice (depending on condition and history) would most likely be the big Ford though. Lower tax, nearer to 40mpg average, plenty of go despite the engine size and it's barely even run in. A great value family wagon. But again big petrol estates can be hard work to sell on which is daft because this is a vastly more reliable car than the equivalent 1.6 diesel.

Over all I doubt there'll be much difference in total costs despite the initial £2k extra outlay so why not enjoy the lower mileage and less worn car? The petrol models don't suffer from DPF issues and while this does have a dual mass flywheel and a turbo it's not known as a weak engine unlike the PSA 1.6 diesel plus they're not as hard on DMF's as the diesels either. Service it correctly every year and it'll be a fine big car.

Edited by SLO76 on 25/09/2016 at 15:12

Mondeo vs Mazda 6 - Avant

The Mondeo is quite a bit bigger than the Mazda but the Mazda has a bigger engine so will be more interesting to drive: so it depends on what your priorities are.

Mileage needn't be an issue, but a full service history is vital: in the case of the Mondeo this will need to be measured in years, not miles.

Mondeo vs Mazda 6 - gordonbennet

I too would be going for the Mazda, for that easy running engine, but i'd be wanting a sizeable adjustment on the price due to that very engine scaring off most buyers who want low VED and better official fuel figures.

Mondeo vs Mazda 6 - L_MO

Thanks all for the replies, plenty of good advice!

Mondeo vs Mazda 6 - L_MO

Just in case any of lot want closure, quick update.

Went with the mondeo in the end, drove very nicely and just what you'd expect for a car that has covered just over 23000 miles. The lower mileage and smaller engine swung it

Mondeo vs Mazda 6 - SLO76

Just in case any of lot want closure, quick update.

Went with the mondeo in the end, drove very nicely and just what you'd expect for a car that has covered just over 23000 miles. The lower mileage and smaller engine swung it

Well bought, hope you enjoy it.