Toyota Aygo - Aygo: clutch problems on some models? - mikem004

Currently have a 2002 Mk. 1 Toyota Yaris, but it has been written off in an accident.

So, I'll be in the market for a 2007-2010 small car.

Yaris's in this date range are bigger than the old Mk I's. So I was considering something smaller, an early model Aygo with about 60k on the clock.

However, I have been worried to read about clutch failures on some Aygo's. Is it safe to say that Aygo's are not as rock solid mechanically as a traditional Toyota?

Any other recommendations for a small car from about 2007-2010. Looking for reliability above all else!

Toyota Aygo - Aygo: clutch problems on some models? - Graham567

My son has a Pug 107 on an 08 plate.We needed a new clutch at 21,000 miles.The rivets had come apart and only a couple were holding on but making the clutch bang.We had it replaced with a modified larger clutch which cost £300 fitted.Other than the clutch(which we knew about and had budgeted for),the car has been extremely reliable.My son loves it and when i suggest replacing it ,he's like 'no way i love my little car!'.

I believe that after 2008 they started fitting the modified clutches anyway so from an 09 plate onwards should be ok.

Thanks for your reply.
I believe the Pug 107 is the same "platform" as the Aygo.

That's quite shocking. Requiring a new clutch after 21k miles.
Maybe I should avoid anything earlier than an 09 plate.

I have also seen reports of water ingress in the perspex "cat flap" on the tailgate. But it's hard to tell whether such problems are widespread.

Toyota Aygo - Aygo: clutch problems on some models? - Auristocrat

A larger clutch from the Yaris was fitted in production models from Jan 2009.

Toyota shared development of this model with PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) as part of a Joint Venture, so the Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 are largely the same as the Aygo. All three are built by the Joint Venture in the Czech Republic.

Edited by Auristocrat on 21/09/2016 at 18:06

Toyota Aygo - Aygo: clutch problems on some models? - daveyjp
We had a 56 reg from brand new for 5 years.

Common problems. Ours suffered them all, apart from the clutch.

Clutch failure, but a larger clutch plate solved the problem.
Water pumps were redesigned as early ones leaked
Failed boot locks
Failed heater fan rheostat units (a pig of a job to change)
Various electrical gremlins

But the biggy is water ingress around all doors, rear lights. Ours leaked like a sieve when we sold it.
Toyota Aygo - Aygo: clutch problems on some models? - gordonbennet

Proper clutch kit of reputable make comes in at just under £300 fitted at a good indy, hardly worth worrying about in the grand scheme of things.

A nightmare list of problems, for just one car.

Not what I would expect from a Toyota.

Toyota Aygo - Aygo: clutch problems on some models? - Steveieb
Suggest you try to find another Mk 1 Yaris pre 2001 when they were built in Japan. Just found an auto version for my sons girlfriend.

It got the highest score ever in Which reliability survey and I understand they were galvanised. And no cambelt to worry about.

The driving experience in the Aygo is awful, three cylinder lawn mower engine and with all the problems listed, I'd go for the Hyundai I 10 if you insist on a smaller car.
Toyota Aygo - Aygo: clutch problems on some models? - daveyjp
The problem was the only parts of the car which Toyota Supplied were the petrol engine and gearbox. Everything else, including the all important electrics are French.

The engine has been around for decades, originally in Diahatsus and still used in Aygos and the Yaris range.

One bonus is they do have a full sized spare!
Toyota Aygo - Aygo: clutch problems on some models? - Metropolis.

I can't help but giggle when precious Toyota messes up..

Toyota Aygo - Aygo: clutch problems on some models? - primus 1

Try the owners forum they have a list of all the things to look out for on these cars

Toyota Aygo - Aygo: clutch problems on some models? - John Boy

Vauxhall Agila B and Suzuki Splash - both made by Suzuki and virtually identical. Suzuki have a good reputation for reliability.

Toyota Aygo - Aygo: clutch problems on some models? - gordonbennet

I can't help but giggle when precious Toyota messes up..

Not much to laugh about then..:-)

Toyota Aygo - Aygo: clutch problems on some models? - SLO76
Aygo,C1,107 is a good enough wee car but built down to a price and aimed at economy minded city drivers. Chain driven engine so no timing belt to worry about every 4-5 years and they're mechanically strong as long as it gets fresh oil EVERY year so avoid anything without a full service record.

Clutch as said is a weak point on pre 09 cars and certainly not unheard of in later cars partly down to the type of drivers they typically attract. Young inexperienced or elderly drivers (not the majority of course) are hard on clutches. They're hardly hugely expensive to do and they are incredibly cheap to buy and run so it's a minor worry really.

As for other options, it depends on your budget. There are loads of small city cars and superminis to chose from all with their merits and flaws. But ultimately if you're shopping on a budget you should keep it as simple as possible, the less to go wrong the better. Buy on condition, history, mileage and look for something that's been owned for a good long term and had 1 maybe 2 owners if poss. A lot of short term ownership indicated unhappy owners and likely problems.

Edited by SLO76 on 21/09/2016 at 22:59

Toyota Aygo - Aygo: clutch problems on some models? - Ethan Edwards

Not going to help much but the mark 2 Aygo has solved every one of those problems. It's a damn good machine.