Tyres - Durability - Project C

I know HJ did a short piece on this a couple of years back but from what I recall it only compared two tyres.

I am looking to find a durable, presumably harder, compound of tyre. Is there a particular tyre I can look out for that is known to last longer than most? I drive like an OAP so grip won't be a major issue.

We have two cars on the following tyres

185/70R14

185/60R15

Any help of personal experience much appreciated :)

Tyres - Durability - RobJP

Bear in mind that harder tyres, especially when it comes to winter, go VERY hard, flex even less, so offer even less grip.

Any decent make will do exactly what you need. Avoid the really cheap tyres, known on here as 'ditchfinders' for good reason. Having a quick browse on blackcircles, the 185/70 14 range from the really cheap and nasty tyres at £40 per, through to really good grippy Bridgestones at £75 per.

I'd probably go for something like the continental Ecocontact 5, at £65 per.

Tyres - Durability - Project C

Thanks

I have come across Avon ZT5's at £45 a corner, they seem a good balance between price and quality though I'm not sure how durable they would be. Sadly the budget is very stretched right now due to car tax/insurance and a holiday next month!

Tyres - Durability - Falkirk Bairn

Michelin seem to last longer than other premium tyres - some would say "miles better".

Mid priced tyres such as Uniroyal & Avons are deemed good value all rounder - there is a special Uniroyal better in the rain.

Barums ( Continental Budget tyre Brand) are a budget tyre that a nearby neighbour buys - cheap enough & he is happy with them on his Mazda 3.

Tyres - Durability - RaineMan

I learnt the importance of good tyres early in my motorcycling career – although it is a few decades since I last rode. These lessons carried through into cars – if any car I buy has a tyre(s) past its best or of an obscure make I replace them as soon as possible. Somehow, about a decade ago, I got talked into buying two budget tyres for the front of my car – I think they had no premium ones in stock and wanted the sale in case I went elsewhere. The car (a Carlton) had always been quite neutral and it transformed into a massive understeerer! At the end of the day these four patches of rubber are the only contact between you and the road. I am constantly amazed how people will spend a small fortune on a car and then skimp on tyres! Often the difference might only be £100 between a budget or premium set of tyres My advice would be always be to buy a decent set of tyres and save the money elsewhere – your life might depend on them!

Tyres - Durability - focussed

I can only echo RaineMan's comments 100% and add a round of applause!

If only more drivers had two-wheeled experience they would realise how important decent tyres at the correct pressures are.

Tyres - Durability - Bilboman

Agreed. In Germany a specific set of tyres - down to the make and design - is specified for every single registered car and it is illegal to deviate from the mandated tyres, other than short emergency trips on the 21st century evil of "spacesavers". (Would an athlete ever go into a race wearing two different running shoes? Hmm...)

Tyres - Durability - focussed

Very good - typical German thoroughness.

But - what happens when the specified tyre is discontinued by the tyre manufacturer as quite often happens?

Tyres - Durability - Avant

Michelins are expensive to buy but do seem to last longer than most.

I used to replace the OE Continentals on my Skodas with Kleber Quadraxer all-season tyres: cheaper than Michelins, lots of grip and they lasted a lot longer than the Continentals they replaced.

To a great extent yer gets wot yer pays for, but if you find Michelins too expensive, see if Kleber do the Quadraxers in your sizes.

Tyres - Durability - Smileyman

I'm going to be replacing 4 car tyres soon, either October or November.

The car came with Dunlop SP Sport 3000s, when replaced I've used Goodyear NCT5, Michelin HP Primacy and Nokia (winter) tyres. Currently have Dunlop Sport BluResponse. Most likely I will go for Michelin Crossclimate for the added benefit of winter snowflake accreditation and not bother with dedicated winter tyres.

The Michelins and Nokias seemed to last longer than the others, but the HP Primacy suffered from poor fuel economy - something confirmed by current labelling. The danger in buying expensive longer lasting tyres is the wastage of a good tyre if punctured etc.