Jaguar X Type - Going into limp mode - pat quin

Hi , Have had no problems with my 2 litre diesel X Type (60,000miles) until now.

I was nearing the end of a 2000mile journey towing a caravan, speeds about 60/65 mph, when the glow plug light came on & the car went into Limp mode. I pulled over ,stopped the car then restarted....the glow plug light went out & the car ran normally. The same thing occured again while towing a caravan,this time it happened three times in a few miles. I got home without anymore problem by keeping down to 50mph or good fortune.

Never had this problem while driving without the caravan.

Any ideas? Thankyou PMQ

Jaguar X Type - Going into limp mode - daveyjp

You need a proper code read, but EGR valve and associated plumbing would be a good place to start.

Jaguar X Type - Going into limp mode - Railroad.
Sounds very typical of the VNT turbo vane ring sticking resulting in the ECM recognising an overboost situation. Limp home mode is the ECM's safety protection against engine damage. You can strip the turbo in situ on these, and you need to thoroughly clean all the carbon and corrosion from the variable geometry on the exhaust turbine side, and make sure it all moves freely.
Jaguar X Type - Going into limp mode - pd

Could be anything - you need to get it code read.

If it was high mileage I'd say injector wear is the most likely thing in which case there will be a low fuel pressure or pressure deviation error code but 60k miles is pretty low for that to happen.

Jaguar X Type - Going into limp mode - hardway

Experience has taught me the first thing to check on modern Jags is the battery.

And by check I mean a proper load test.