Volvo C30 - Battery Advice Please - scot22

2007 diesel 1600 about 65,000 miles on clock.

Last Saturday left side lights on for 8 hours - had a flat battery. RAC came got car started and 'checked' told everything O.K. Today after 2 hour drive warning came on battery low.

It is the original battery and I wonder if it now needs to be changed. Could having been flat caused irrreparable problems ?

I appreciate without seeing the car etc it is not possible to give a definite answer but would welcome advice. Quite ready to get a new battery but don't want to waste money.

If battery needed any recommendations for good value ( not cheap but value )

Thanks for any help.

Volvo C30 - Battery Advice Please - FP

Your battery is nine years old, which is pretty good going.

And yes, flattening the battery and recharging it will have made it work very hard - too hard, probably, for an ageing battery.

You can get it tested in most car "places" to be certain, but my feeling is that it's now dud.

Volvo C30 - Battery Advice Please - focussed

By leaving the sidelights on and running the battery flat you "deep discharged" the battery. Car starter batteries are not designed to go into deep discharge, they are designed to give a high current for a short period of time to start the car. Deep discharging a starter battery damages it and renders it less able to be charged and to retain a charge.

How much longer do you expect a car battery to last? Nine years is a good life - get a new battery and buy the best branded battery you can afford.

Edited by focussed on 17/09/2016 at 23:47

Volvo C30 - Battery Advice Please - RT

Get a Bosch S3/4/6 battery - Tayna's pricing will give an idea what to pay as it's easy to pay a lot more for vastly inferior batteries.

Volvo C30 - Battery Advice Please - gordonbennet

I used to buy Bosch but after finding good service from them on Japanese cars, i now search out YUASA, their silver range comes with a 5 year warranty, not so easy to find.

Volvo C30 - Battery Advice Please - Peter.N.

If the light cam on when you were driving I would suspect the alternator.

Volvo C30 - Battery Advice Please - RichardW

^^ what he said...get the alt output checked; but it probably needs a new battery as well!

Many thanks for the prompt and helpful replies. The light did not come on when driving so hopefully.... I am quite happy with 9 years from battery but just wanted to check with people who know.

My trusted Indy is a Bosch Service Centre approved so expect that will be the battery. Anyhow - new battery Monday. Thanks again.

Got it done Wednesday. Confirmed everything said here. Battery just about completely gone !! Alternator etc fine.

New Bosch battery, 4 year guarantee, total cost £85. No worries for Winter.

Thanks

Volvo C30 - Battery Advice Please - FP

Glad you got it sorted out!