New car - Clio or 208 - driver42

Hi John

Would you choose the new Clio 120 TCe with 6 gears over the 208 Puretech 110 with 5 gears?

Or is a second hand 308 Puretech 130 an even better choice?

Thanks

PS bought a 207 THP after your review years ago, it was OK until the cam chain went :(

New car - Clio or 208 - daveyK_UK
If I was in the market for a small car I would go for a 1.3 Toyota Yaris

Clio is vast improvement over a he previous shape but still has a few issues, mainly software and electrical gremlins

The 208 I have only driven once and it was decent enough.

If your on a budget I wouldn't discount a Vauxhall corsa or Dacia Sandero with the 0.9 TCE engine
New car - Clio or 208 - Avant

I think I too would go for a 1.3 Yaris: better to drive than the testers make out, and it has a 5-year warranty (although it almost certainly won't go wrong).

I haven't tried a recent Clio but I believe the 1.2 Tce is a good engine; and a 6-speed gearbox is a clear advantage (the Yaris also has this). Renault's reliability record is better than it was a few years ago, but still not as good as the Japanese cars'.

If you look at a 208, make sure that you're the right height to be able to see the instruments (if you're the wrong height the very small steering wheel blocks them) and that you can live with having to adjust the temperature inside the car by fiddling with a touchscreen and menus (I couldn't, and it's potentially as dangerous as texting on the move).

New car - Clio or 208 - Gibbo_Wirral

What about a Kia Ceed? 6 speed box there too.

New car - Clio or 208 - SLO76
I like the look of the current Clio but having viewed one before buying our Polo I found the quality still a bit lacking inside. They don't hold their money and past experience with 2 Renault vans shows they've still a long way to go regarding durability.

We also hired a 208 while on holiday as it was also in contention but I found it dull to drive with a dated feel, long travel gear change and numb steering. Though the 3cyl 1.2 engine is a pleasant thing which should be fairly durable, certainly in normally aspirated form.

This narrowed our choice down to a Fiesta or Polo. The wee Ford is by far the best small car to drive, the 1.0 turbo is a joy and nothing is more enjoyable in the real world to pilot along a twisty B road but we found the Polo to be better built and more comfortable at motorway speeds than the others. Combined with a larger boot and better residuals and it was the one we drove off in.

If you want fun buy the Fiesta but if you want refinement and quality buy the Polo. The Yaris is a worthy contender too, we just didn't like the look.

Ah yes the Polo, I remember Autoexpress gave their 1.0 Bluemotion a 5 star rating last year. Which has reminded me that Seat now do a 1.0 110 Ibiza with 7 speed DSG, sounds like an interesting combo...hmmmm, wonder when the new model comes out?

Yaris - I know I'm getting on but I always think of old people driving those things ;)

I wouldnt go for a polo, to many compneent failures and faults

I would also consider a new shape Hyundai i20

I wouldnt go for a polo, to many compneent failures and faults

I would also consider a new shape Hyundai i20

I've ran several VW's in recent years and all have proven to be reliable. The two faults I have encountered (over ten years) were a juddering clutch caused by a failed crankshaft oil seal on our VW Caddy van which VW replaced free of charge including clutch after almost 20,000 miles and a failed drivers seatbelt recoil on our Polo over a year out of warranty again replaced for free no questions asked and in both instances the vehicles were returned fully valeted. We've never suffered a major fault and VW customer service and our local dealer are excellent. But as with any complex modern car things will go wrong. My mothers Honda Jazz suffered what we thought would be a minor cheap to fix fault when the drivers seat adjuster failed at 24,000 miles. It ended up costing over £750 to replace and Honda refused to offer any goodwill at all! I've every confidence VW would've treated her better.

Good for you

but i still wouldnt consider a current VW polo, to many faults and failures.

the VW polo forums will confirm, most people rating the current model as adequate.

The new polo, set to be released next year which will be based on the same platform as the current Skoda Fabia should be alot better.

Always find it bizarre how Skoda owners are a lot happier in general with their cars than VW owners. Every owner survey has Skoda at the top end of the spectrum with the Japanese firms and VW well behind despite the fact they are largely mechanically identical. Must be down to owner expectation or perhaps VW owners are harder on their vehicles. Certainly must be a larger percentage of fleet ownership.

Agree certainly they aren't as robust as they were in the 80's and 90's when they were basic and simple but lacking in equipment and performance compared to rivals but folks want all the toys these days. But while our ownership experience hasn't been fault free VW customer service and our local dealer have been excellent, far superior to our run ins with Honda regards our CRV and my mothers Jazz over the years.

Personally I'd rather have a totally basic option with nothing except PAS and perhaps ABS.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/09/2016 at 09:59

New car - Clio or 208 - Engineer Andy

OP - The Clio not holding their money isn't too much of a problem if:

• You buy through a reputable fleet buyer (see the 'Cars For Sale' prices on this website - 20% discounts for the 1.2 Tce models), and;
  • You keep it at least 5 years (preferably more).

Superminis don't depreciate as much as larger cars, and are cheaper to start with and to run.

I have no idea about both cars ownership experience, though a work colleague has a 208 - I will ask him on Monday how he finds it.

I would have a poke around the review section here on the two you're looking at and all the competition, both HJ site reviews and owners' reviews, plus have a look at the 'Real MPG' section, as many cars' mpg in real life, especially diesels and small petrol-turbos are nowhere near that quoted in the brochures (standardised tests).

I would also check out the local dealerships and get reviews (here and locally through family/friends/colleagues/neighbours) about their reputations, for both sales and especially aftersales competance/customer service. Pointless buying a good car, only to be let down by a bad dealership or have to travel a long distance for servicing etc.

There might also be some good pre-reg deals about after the reg changeover, possibly even better than the fleet buyer sites and the likes of Motorpoint etc. Good to shop around - a practically new car (pre-bought [to achieve sales targets], ex-demo or showroom car) with less than a 1000 or so miles may be just as good as a new one and has already been through enough miles to know its ok or not.

Best of luck.

New car - Clio or 208 - Smileyman

really don't understand why the 308 comes with 6 speed gearbox but the 208 with the same engine has only 5 speed gearbox.

Having test driven the 308 I too disliked the touch screen for altering the heating etc, the screen is great but a having to look at the screen is a distraction - much prefer to have a button to touch whilst eyes are looking on the road

I think PSA/Citroen market the 1.2 110ps with a 5 speed box and the 130ps with a 6 speeder...

Anybody driven both variants care to comment?

New car - Clio or 208 - andyp

I have the 1.2 110 with the EAT6 automatic gearbox (the proper TC not the automated manual !) and it is a very good combination. I did not drive a manual so can't comment specifically on them, however I do know from previous owned Peugeots that the 5 speed is a bit "clunky" whereas the 6 speed is a very smooth changing box. I have an Allure and it has manual heater controls, I would not want them on the touchscreen.

Edited by andyp on 23/09/2016 at 22:31