SORN no MOT - barney100

Our Volvo v70 has been in the bodyshop for over two months ...don't ask me how. I put a SORN declaration on it but in the meantime the MOT has expired so when I eventually get it back this week I need to know the way to get the car on the road.

SORN no MOT - RT

Our Volvo v70 has been in the bodyshop for over two months ...don't ask me how. I put a SORN declaration on it but in the meantime the MOT has expired so when I eventually get it back this week I need to know the way to get the car on the road.

Provided it's insured, you're permitted to drive a vehicle to/from a pre-booked MoT test - and then re-tax it.

SORN no MOT - Metropolis.

You can drive it to the test centre without tax or MOT provided you have a pre-scheduled appointment and make a direct journey. Good idea to let the test centre know the situation so it's more straightforward if you get pulled over.

Just make sure you have insurance.

SORN no MOT - barney100

Insurance is fine, do I cancel SORN first or do the MOT?

SORN no MOT - Galaxy

No, don't cancel the SORN. You will be doing that when the car has passed the MOT test and you retax it.

However, the car must be insured and being driven to a pre-booked MOT test, that is very specific.

The car must either be taxed or SORN'ed. Being neither could get you an £80 fine.

SORN no MOT - NARU

No MOT is only a minor offence - a small fine and no points on your licence. As long as the car is roadworthy, of course.

But as others have said, make sure the car is insured. ANd best if the trip is just to a pre-booked MOT

Edited by Marlot on 06/09/2016 at 22:39