All - Barn Finds - RaineMan

As a classic car enthusiast I often scan the ads. One term that is starting to irritate me is "barn find". In reality it just seemd to mean a car that has been laid up for a number of years - usually in a garage or lockup. Do people think it adds something to the car. In reality the majority of barns around here were converted to large detached properties years ago and those that remain are in use or falling down. The last genuine barn finds I saw were two cars that had stood for decades and were covered in dirt and birds' droppings. This combined with a (at times) damp atmosphere meant they were very rotten and probably only fit for spares (unless someone is very brave and has deep pockets). So why is the term so overused?

All - Barn Finds - brum

The last genuine barn finds I saw were two cars that had stood for decades and were covered in dirt and birds' droppings. This combined with a (at times) damp atmosphere meant they were very rotten and probably only fit for spares (unless someone is very brave and has deep pockets). So why is the term so overused?

I think you answered your own question. Barn find refers to the fact they are a pile of poo and rust and the seller wants far too much money.

Either that or they are stolen.

All - Barn Finds - Southern_monkey
Totally winds me up too. Having a quick look through eBay, apparently a 2013 catD fiat 500 was found in a barn.
There's one I can see that fits the criteria,

1958 rover p4 barn find.

The whole point is that the cars been found, decades later, exactly the same as when it went in there.
Somewhere watertight. Otherwise it's more like "look how much rust I found".
All - Barn Finds - focussed

I can appreciate the enthusiasts's point of view having found an old car that is restorable to it's former glory-if that's what they want to do with their time and their money.

But having spent my youth and early married life and a lot of money trying to keep the UK's nasty jerry-built rusty-rotten cars legal and on the road - I now have an aversion to anything described as "classic" or "suitable for restoration".

All - Barn Finds - Metropolis.

So many vehicles could have been saved with a few drops of waxoyl...

All - Barn Finds - brum

So many vehicles could have been saved with a few drops of waxoyl...

In my youth I used gallons of the stuff. It made very little difference. Waxoyl is crap, dries out, evaporates etc and cant stop tin that has been produced specifically to rust away within a few years, i.e. most british cars before hot dip galvanizing was introduced.

All - Barn Finds - focussed

Agreed - I bought a brand new P100 pickup a a business vehicle in 1989 - I personally waxoyled it before it ever saw a wet road - by 1995 it was as rotten as a pear-thank you for nothing Mr Ford.

The only process that had any protective effect was the Ziebart system- but I couldn't afford it at the time.

All - Barn Finds - RaineMan

There's even models of barn finds now:-

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-43-ROVER-P4-BARN-FIND-DIORAMA...8

All - Barn Finds - skidpan

I inherited a Ford V8 Pilot from my mothers aunt. It was last used in 1961 and it was 35 years later when I went to see it. The garage roof was resting on the car, all 4 tyres were flat, one back door was open and would not close, body was perforated, been parked with handbrake on which was solid. Basically scrap.

I advertised it as honestly as I could i.e. "Horrid V8 Pilot, not moved for 35 years etc." Still got people phoning up asking if it was nice, suggested they read the advert.

Local chap bought it. Told him I wanted money before he attempted to move it since It was then his problem, he agreed. He released the handbrake and after a bit of rocking and wobbling of the lever it released. Tyres pumped up and held pressure. He managed to close the back door a bit and tied it with rope. He did not bring his trailer, decided to risk the spectacle lift. Went off down to road and never saw it or him again but I did hear on the grapevine the engine was unsurprisingly seized solid.

Classic Car weekly suggested £400 which is exactly what I got.

All - Barn Finds - craig-pd130

One of the motorbike magazines once did a tongue-in-cheek guide to the real meanings of phrases used in car and bike adverts:

Barn find: should be left there

Selling for a friend without Internet: stolen

Can't find the V5: stolen

Selling because of new project: my wife said "either it goes, or I do"

Easy project: Impossible dream