5 series touring or A6 avant - NAthan smith
Hi all would like ppl a views on these cars I can't decide. Looking a decent spec (msport or s line) around 13 plate. I'm aware the 5 series was face lifted around this time. My thoughts are the bmw is a bit dated inside and the A6 wins hand down on the interior. Outside I don't think there is much in it. Running costs etc going to be similar I think? What do youcthink?
5 series touring or A6 avant - oldroverboy.

Both cars at that age will be at or close to the end of the manufacturers warranty, so unless you are buying from a amain dealer with an approved manufacturer warranty of minimum 1 year, preferably 2 don't go near them.

A friend just bpoght a TT quattro with the approved warranty, and he has need of it! had it about a month and weekly visits seem to be in order.

gearbox and haldex oil changes, tyres braking system, (but all sorted without fuss)

5 series touring or A6 avant - Ian_SW

5 series is much better than an A6, but if you want a premium estate have a look at a Mercedes E class as well as I think they are better than both BMW or Audi.

Personally I'd buy none of these as for the same money I could get a 9 month old Skoda Superb (effectively an A6 with a different badge and made in a factory with a better reputation for quality) or a similarly aged Mazda 6.

5 series touring or A6 avant - RobJP

Just be aware that MSport or S-line spec normally includes stiffer suspension and large wheels with low-profile tyres.

While it might make the car look 'sporty', it destroys ride comfort. Tyres also a lot more expensive to replace. SE spec doesn't have the 'kerb appeal', but you'd certainly appreciate it more after a 300 mile trip, or when replacing tyres.

5 series touring or A6 avant - RT

Personally I'd buy none of these as for the same money I could get a 9 month old Skoda Superb (effectively an A6 with a different badge and made in a factory with a better reputation for quality) or a similarly aged Mazda 6.

The Superb shares it's platform with the VW Passat - the Audi A6 platform is quite different

5 series touring or A6 avant - Happy Blue!

Frankly the Mercedes E-class is better than them all.

5 series touring or A6 avant - Steveieb
I agree with you Happy Blue. Managed to find a E 320 Estate for my son and it is simply sublime to drive with the six cylinder engine, great economy and ride comfort.

Just one problem, when the winter weather returns to the UK it's the A 6 Quattro that wins the day.
Thanks for the replies. I'm 32 a merc e class might be a move when in 10 yes time. I drive an A5 s line at the moment and the rude quality doesn't bother me. Last poont what are options on manuals for both of these especially the 5 series which seem to be all autos??

I must admit, I was thinking the E Class would be a car for me in 10 or 20 years - and I'm 46 !

I've got the current-shape 325d touring in MSport (had it 2 1/2 years now), but mine has the adaptive suspension, and as such the ride quality is pretty decent. I know a few people who've really not liked 3/5 tourers with the big wheels and normalsuspension, so that's why I mentioned it.

As to manual gearboxes, they do seem to be a bit of a rarity. BMW stopped doing the 530d with a manual in 2011 / 2012, and the 535d has always only been an autobox. Even with the 520d, a lot of them seem to be auto. Having driven one though, (I was loaned a 530d last time my car was in for a service), they're actually not at all bad (my 325d is manual, and I certainly prefer the manual box).

Now been offered by the dealer nil deposit on the pcp?! Struggling to get my head around this now as this would mean when I sell the car I would owe more than the car is worth?
Now been offered by the dealer nil deposit on the pcp?! Struggling to get my head around this now as this would mean when I sell the car I would owe more than the car is worth?

It's a PCP. You don't own the car.

Bear in mind that the current 5 series saloon is due for replacement imminently, with the estate probably replaced next year. Dealers are desperate to shift them. Huge discounts are available. Minimum 20% discount on a new car, quite possibly up to 30% discount on something in stock.

So the nil deposit might be them taking it out of the discount on offer, and not being such a good deal after all.

It's a PCP. You don't own the car.

Bear in mind that the current 5 series saloon is due for replacement imminently, with the estate probably replaced next year. Dealers are desperate to shift them. Huge discounts are available. Minimum 20% discount on a new car, quite possibly up to 30% discount on something in stock.

So the nil deposit might be them taking it out of the discount on offer, and not being such a good deal after all.

Good point about the replacement surely the A6 must be die soon aswell! I unseating you don't own the car but you still sell it privately 2 Years into a 3 yr deal. I just don't know if it's better to take nil deposit or put some money down as a deposit

The next version of the A6 is supposed to be out in 'early 2018'.

Just keep in mind that, insanely, a brand-new 5 series / A6 might be cheaper than a 3-4 year old one if you're getting one on PCP or other finance. Manufacturer's contribution, dealer contribution, lower finance rate on the PCP, etc.

They offer far better deals on new cars than on used ones.

2018 blimey! The facelift A6 out n is is stunning but I can't stretch to one of those! The Thor hammer headlights are just the best!