Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 2007 - Water pump noise? - argybargy

Hi All

The following is written in full acknowledgement that its difficult to accurately communicate the nature of engine noises through the medium of the typed word. ;0)

Since having the cambelt replaced last July I've noticed an unusual noise on start up from cold. Its a sort of "whoop-whoop" sound, with the whoops timed to each rotation of the auxiliary belts. Its obvious when the car is parked and the bonnet lifted, but I can only hear it when driving if the engine is ticking over at a standstill. Until recently it only lasted till the engine warmed up; now it becomes apparent once the engine is warm and doesn't go away.

I was originally told that the noise was from a drivebelt, so I squirted all manner of rubbish on the belts but without success. Further research confirmed that it was never likely to be caused by a belt.

Today I've had the belts replaced (because they were of an age when it was advisable) but the noise is still there and I've now been told that its likely to be caused by dry bearings on the water pump.

Does that sound feasible? If so, does the noise indicate imminent failure of the pump?

Edited by argybargy on 17/08/2016 at 21:18

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 2007 - Water pump noise? - argybargy

Update on this: The mechanic who suggested it might be the water pump gave me a price for replacing it, but told me to bring the car back for a firm diagnosis first. He applied his stethoscope to the alternator, the water pump and all the other bits in the vicinity of this infernal noise and announced that no, it ain't the water pump after all.

I took it to a second mechanic for another opinion, and try as I might I couldn't get it to "whoop" under any circumstances. Typical.

Its an intermittent sound and it's not really possible to define the conditions when it tends to be present, so I'm inclined to leave things as they are, to carry my AA card wherever I go and get the part replaced if and when it fails.

Don't see that I have much choice but to monitor the situation, other than replacing everything driven by the belts.