Less stressed - without satnav - oldroverboy.

Getting used to driving around Essex after some 18 months or so, and no longer use the sat-nav, (even a far as Shrewsbury the other week t pick up our welsh bearded colly puppy)

So much better without the distraction... (of the satnav)

Separately am surprised how much pups likes door seals, window profiles and raiding the k!tchen rubbish bin, shredding newspapers, digging away in the garden like a welsh miner..

All good fun.

Have bought a cage for the back of the venga to keep her in place. she is NOT happy, but a lot safer than in the passenger footwell.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 13/08/2016 at 15:37

Less stressed - without satnav - Smileyman

Acutally, I disagree!

In May Mrs S & I went for a short holiday in North Yorkshire, (we live on Kent coast) and for a change used Mrs S's Mazda 2. It does not have satnav, and on the return journey there was traffic congestion so we got out the paper map and plotted an alternative route - then I found myself fretting, Mrs S is not a map reader, and I could not easily monitor the journey and ensure all the right options were selected at junctions etc.

There's a place for the new technology, but it does not totally replace tried & tested basics like paper maps.

Less stressed - without satnav - gordonbennet

Satnav has its place, its place IMHO is as a handy pocket sized street map of the country.

Its also a great gadget to let it run alongside you keeping a beady eye on your route, its great for spotting unmarked roads and unsigned in town roundabouts and as a countdown advisor for upcoming turnings, and it comes into its own as you approach a destination in a strange area,

However, a driver should plan their own route by looking at a real map large enough to see the obvious alternatives, and if you have traffic on the satnav that can be really useful...but you have to be a bit cagey and still plan your own diversions, seeing as everyone and their dog has a sat nav if there's a major route closure then everyone and their dog will be taking the same alternatives suggested by the nav with obvious results...the canny driver thinks laterally and comes up with their own alternatives.

I almost never use the satnav as a nav, instead i don't program any destination but just use it in 'traffic' mode independently to keep an eye on all possible routes ahead.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/08/2016 at 22:29

Less stressed - without satnav - Bolt

If your in a town/City you dont know, a satnav is a must, it also doesnt have to be distracting in that they talk to you, where to go, though the display is usefull

It can get awkward trying to use a streetmap and not a good idea to hold one on the steering wheel as i have seen some drivers doing, and memorising the route is not easy for some people

though in some areas the old backroutes that I remember have all but gone, as councils have blocked them off and made one way systems of them so satnav in that respect is not much help

One reason I dont like London, its changed too much for the worst....

Less stressed - without satnav - Grambo

Did you have a smartphone?

You could have used Google Maps which is better than tomtom imo. It calculates the traffic on your route and will take you the fastest route, all real time. Its very impressive and free!

You could have used Google Maps which is better than tomtom imo. It calculates the traffic on your route and will take you the fastest route, all real time. Its very impressive and free!

I still have here maps. (now called here we go) on my smartphone(s)

Locally where i know where I am going don;t use and the A12/A14/M6/M54 for that trip is a bit of a no brainer.

The sat nav is there,just not switched on. easy to use if i need it.

I find that i observe the speedo more if i don;t have the little voice backup.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 14/08/2016 at 07:35

Less stressed - without satnav - Engineer Andy

I found my Nokia 620's 'Here' Satnav system was very good as well, just a shame it may no longer be updated given Microsoft's withdrawal from the phone market after buying up Nokia.

I too tend to use my phone's satnav only for routes I do not already know well (for alternatives if there's a reasonable likelihood of delays, etc on the primary route), as I find (mainly driving by myself) reading maps and driving definitely do not mix - the odd glance (as I do) on the motorway when its clear all around is fine, but doing so on windy rural roads or in urban areas is, to me at least, a potential for an accident.

I agree that the satnav, used well, is a great tool to help you arrive unstressed, on time and in once piece at your setination. What it shouldn't be used is something to blindly follow (at present at least - they are slowly getting better) as they still aren't foolproof/100% accurate. Occasionally, mine has wanted to take me on routes that aren't really suitable.

Other than Google maps, can anyone recommend a decent free satnav for Android smart phones as I've now got a new Samsung S6 for work which has a much bigger screen and battery life than my Nokia personal phone.

Less stressed - without satnav - Bolt

I found my Nokia 620's 'Here' Satnav system was very good as well, just a shame it may no longer be updated given Microsoft's withdrawal from the phone market after buying up Nokia.

I too tend to use my phone's satnav only for routes I do not already know well (for alternatives if there's a reasonable likelihood of delays, etc on the primary route), as I find (mainly driving by myself) reading maps and driving definitely do not mix - the odd glance (as I do) on the motorway when its clear all around is fine, but doing so on windy rural roads or in urban areas is, to me at least, a potential for an accident.

I agree that the satnav, used well, is a great tool to help you arrive unstressed, on time and in once piece at your setination. What it shouldn't be used is something to blindly follow (at present at least - they are slowly getting better) as they still aren't foolproof/100% accurate. Occasionally, mine has wanted to take me on routes that aren't really suitable.

Other than Google maps, can anyone recommend a decent free satnav for Android smart phones as I've now got a new Samsung S6 for work which has a much bigger screen and battery life than my Nokia personal phone.

This one may be worth a try,my mate uses it, not tried it myself, I`m happy with google. play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.aponia.bo...n

Called Here maps,they work offline as well I gather

you can get the "nokia" "lumia" maps as "here" or "here we go."

I have just got a samsung s6 and that is what i have done. works fine. I also have them on my wifes xperia z, a lumia 640 and a 535 one odf which i use as a dedicated satnav when i want it. the other one provides a reveresed refected heads up display with a speedo reading just where i want it.

Less stressed - without satnav - Big John

I drive everywhere with my Tomtom 5000 mainly to keep an eye on traffic - which can be bad on my commute. I've tried Googlemaps on the same journey but it keeps freezing - probably lack of mobile signal en route

On longer journeys Tomtom helps cure a persistent rattle from the front passenger seat

Less stressed - without satnav - Bracket

It's down to personal preference, I think. I don't need the satnav for most UK journeys but the traffic warnings have saved me many lengthy delays.

Also I drive in Europe a lot, and having the satnav take me straight to the hotel saves a lot of stress. Most of the current Garmins have BlueTooth handsfree if you don't already have it in the car.

Also, they can work out fuel consumption for journey planning so you can plan fuel stops ahead, find nearby hotels, cafés, and petrol stations. The latter was vital on my last car which only had a 300 mile tank range.

SatNavs are good if you drive alone, without the co-pilot 'reading' a map and sending you down farm tracks. :-)

Less stressed - without satnav - SteVee

SatNavs can be very useful on a motorcycle. Paper maps do not work so well - not even for a pillion passenger. I prefer the type where you can plan your route using paper maps and enter way-points. The recording type can also be useful if you go for a ride with some mates and want to know where you've been :-)

I have been caught out by the sudden road closure and all sat-nav users all chossing the same alternative though.

I do use them in a car sometimes - they certainly have their uses.

Less stressed - without satnav - davecooper

I find just having the map on the screen handy when I am in an unfamiliar area as it gives the speed limit for the road you are on. Not always well signposted or obvious.

Less stressed - without satnav - Cyd

Satnav is a tool, like anything else. It is not the be all and end all some people seem to think. Neither is it infallible.

As an ex rally driver I’m used to the concept of a navigator talking directions to me, so I find a satnav to be helpful and reassuring when I don’t know the lay of the land. My Saabs OE system is useless, but TomTom and Google I find excellent.

I often keep the nav on (muted) even when I know where I’m going. More than once the ‘forward information’ regarding traffic or other problems has saved me hours of sitting in queues. Fortunately the Saabs system is quite good in this respect as it warns of problems ahead even when no route is programmed.

Less stressed - without satnav - gordonbennet

I often keep the nav on (muted) even when I know where I’m going. More than once the ‘forward information’ regarding traffic or other problems has saved me hours of sitting in queues. Fortunately the Saabs system is quite good in this respect as it warns of problems ahead even when no route is programmed.

Thats exactly how i do things in my lorry, fortunately the industrial sized commercial Garmins recently fitted (also including telematics, electronic messaging and a host of spyware/grassing software) have digi traffic without destination facility, which has also solved a years old problem for me, because nothing ever replaced the original TrafficMaster YQ unit as a stand alone national traffic monitor, and now finally i have such a system again, the icing on the cake being i didn't have to buy it..:-)

Pity Garmin's technical dept (whom the helpful chap at Halfords asked) don't know that high spec digi traffic models don't need a destination to work effectively, indeed if anything it works better without a destination as you can scan the whole country in seconds and just adjust your current position as you proceed.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/08/2016 at 14:41