Vauxhall Vectra - Vectra Diesel Auto - Good Buy? - RaineMan

Still looking for a sub-£3k auto (manual not an option) I have come across an 07 Vectra diesel (1.9). It has covered 80k and is priced at just under £3k. Is this a good buy and are there any points I should look for. TBH I am not a great diesel fan but then cannot afford to be over choosy. Any car I buy needs to take four adults in reasnoble comfort - other than that reliabilty is my main concern.

Vauxhall Vectra - Vectra Diesel Auto - Good Buy? - RT

It's the Fiat engine - so prone to all its faults - swirl pots, injectors, alternators.

A sub £3k reliable car is pot luck.

Vauxhall Vectra - Vectra Diesel Auto - Good Buy? - Too Far
What about a Mazda 3 or Mazda 6. I've just looked on autotrader and you can get an 06 or 07 with 60k on the clock. From my experience, avoid the diesels, although almost all of them are petrol. The Mazda 6 is nice and big and comfortable too. Just and idea.
Vauxhall Vectra - Vectra Diesel Auto - Good Buy? - Avant

There should be plenty of cars around to suit your needs and budget: remember that at this price level condition matters more than make or model.

That said, the petrol Mazdas as suggested should be good; also the Toyota Avensis or Honda Accord. If you can't find any of these easily, there should be more Ford Mondeos and Vauxhall Vectras around, but best to go for petrol power.

Vauxhall Vectra - Vectra Diesel Auto - Good Buy? - elekie&a/c doctor

For sub £3k,you can pick up an excellent Mondeo mk3 2.0 petrol auto.Find a Ghia with all the nice bits.Very durable with little to go wrong.

Vauxhall Vectra - Vectra Diesel Auto - Good Buy? - mss1tw

I am not a great diesel fan but then cannot afford to be over choosy.

Get a petrol then. There's too much to go wrong on a cheap diesel.
Vauxhall Vectra - Vectra Diesel Auto - Good Buy? - SLO76
Avoid diesels when shopping on a budget. Simplicity is best and petrol engines have far less to go wrong. There are plenty of smaller Astra and Focus autos around which are originally sold to the motability fleet. They're simple and robust and best in mid spec 1600 petrol form. Forget the 1.9 diesel Vectra or Astra which uses a Fiat unit with many known weaknesses which will cost you dearly at this stage in its life. Look for full history and longterm previous ownership. Many of these models are owned by elderly people and maintained to a high standard. But autos aside from prestige models are much harder work to sell on again, especially in the lower price range where people are looking for economy and many are younger drivers with no desire for a self shifter so buy with the view that you plan on keeping it.