Jaguar X-Type 2.0d - Breakdown/Recovery Insurance - joegrundy

I have insurance via a 'retired profession' association, which provides a lot of benefits at a very reasonable cost. It now includes cars up to 15 years old (mine is 12) and throughout Europe. They use a network of local garage/breakdown services.

I've had to use it three times:

1. A couple of years ago (in UK) a dreadful noise turned out to be that the under-engine bay plastic tray/guard had worked loose and was dragging. The call centre diagnosed it well, sent out a mechanic with a van, and the problem was fixed quickly.

2. April 2016, after a 1200 mile trip to France and back, overheating at the western end of the M4. Waterpump failure, recovered 60 miles. Interesting chat with driver who told me that if this had happened during working hours the breakdown insurance would probably have paid for repair/replacement at their depot - cheaper tha the recovery. Sounds sensible to me.

3. June 2016. Unknown problem 200 miles from home. 3pm, heavy rain. Recovered home, problem fixed next morning by local indy - turbo bosst pipe had blown off. Fixed for £60. I queried why no charge for new pipe, etc. -it just needed new clip. Talking to recovery drivers (3) this recovery cost about £800.

The recovery service used by my insurers is the same one used by very prestigious car brands.

I understand that AA/RAC nowadays will attempt/carry stuff for roadside repairs - must be much cheaper than recoveries. No doubt my breakdown no. 3 could have been fixed roadside - or at least locally on a ramp - for a fraction of the cost. I considered contacting my breakdown insurance people to mention this but then thought 'They seem happy -should I bother?'.

Jaguar X-Type 2.0d - Breakdown/Recovery Insurance - RT

I haven't had a breakdown that could be fixed at the roadside for 30 years - but several requiring recovery - it's the nature of modern cars.

My experience of AA/RAC under new car warranties has been bitter, 4-6 hour waits so always retain my Green Flag cover which has also recovered after a couple of accidents, usually within the hour but 90 minutes on one occasion in the Highlands - and more importantly, Green Flag will accept owners' diagnosis and send a flat-bed directly rather than the farce of waiting hours for a patrol who can't fix it at the roadside but only they can authorise a flat-bed.

In my case, flat-bed recovery is necessary as I have a 4wd automatic which can't be towed.